Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It gets real tough doing the radio thing where you
    are expected to talk about the music. When I listen
    to my archived shows, the most embarassing thing is the way
    I describe songs when I'm adlibbing. I either say the
    same corny thing about 5 songs in a row "that was another cool
    track" or I'm talking out my ass about "a nice slice of proto-glam
    rock, with a delicate soulful edge" (I never said this)

Very true, I just try to stick to the facts - label, year, region and let the music shine through, but I know I have phrases that I fall back on and overuse.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    not so widely used to describe records, but the word "awesome" really disturbs me. I can't stand it anymore when someone shouts it out in a moment of being excited...I do catch myself to do just that from time to time though.
    I think it is more than overused....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    not so widely used to describe records, but the word "awesome" really disturbs me. I can't stand it anymore when someone shouts it out in a moment of being excited...I do catch myself to do just that from time to time though.

And the n there is Oarsome[/b]

Much like awesome, but better. First coined when New Zealand boxed David Tua appeared on the television show 'Celebrity Wheel of Fortune' and picked a vowel: "I'd like an O for oarsome."
    Often used in a vaguely ironic sense, or to describe something that is so ridiculous that it approaches the borders of awesomeness.

"Have you seen the movie 'Hercules in New York'? That's pretty oarsome, right there."

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Did you recently escape from a pentecostal church?

• never understood why they use brilliant for "great" in the UK...have you ever heard that Bill Hicks routine? After his first UK performance people were gushing over him and his show calling him and it "brilliant" over and over again...he was flabbergasted by the praise, until he went out to dinner with them after the show and heard "oh, this soup is brilliant!" "this cake is brilliant!"

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Right? He would probably want to kill me if we ever met in real life. If the cher.exe virus doesn't get him first.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    never understood why they use brilliant for "great" in the UK...have you ever heard that Bill Hicks routine? After his first UK performance people were gushing over him and his show calling him and it "brilliant" over and over again...he was flabbergasted by the praise, until he went out to dinner with them after the show and heard "oh, this soup is brilliant!" "this cake is brilliant!"

i think brilliant sounds better anyways. And i always think of the word as reffering to something that gives off light rather than meaning genius.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

Right? He would probably want to kill me if we ever met in real life. If the cher.exe virus doesn't get him first.

Both of you haven't received the gift from God as I see. I have no intention of killin someone though, especially not you. Maybe I put some autotune.axe virus on you though...you awesome users...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    People from Ireland say "Thanks A Million" alot.

• The funniest thing about this thread is that I read this one and then a few minutes later I read the Super Lover Cee thread that got bumped up with some recent responses.

Not to call you out (I really don't mean this as a diss), just thought it was funny. Were you being funny, or did you get caught saying gorgeous?

what a gorgeous lp !

cosmo and tony and phil i know yall feel me on this..
    can we get some love for the 1st 2 steady b lps ? let the hustlers play !
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=983549&page=0&fpart=2

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    did you get caught saying gorgeous?

what a gorgeous lp !

LOLLL sucka!

They've got a thing about multiplying sentiments, though. The Irish-born host of our Celtic radio show says "c??ad m??le f??ilte" a lot, which translates to "one hundred thousand welcomes."

I think it devalues the sentiment, frankly. Like a regular welcome ain't really worth shit anymore, you know?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

They've got a thing about multiplying sentiments, though. The Irish-born host of our Celtic radio show says "c??ad m??le f??ilte" a lot, which translates to "one hundred thousand welcomes."

I think it devalues the sentiment, frankly. Like a regular welcome ain't really worth shit anymore, you know?

I think in Hipster "one hundred thousand welcomes"

translates simply to "CHEERS"

and I agree, it has lost all value...its kinda like "Ciao!" for the white-belted community, it has more than one meaning, but its rarely used in the proper context by anyone other than alcoholics and British Folks.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    "CHEERS"

AGGHHH! and still do.

Just say Thank You!

The worst is emails the end off with it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "CHEERS"

AGGHHH! and still do.

Just say Thank You!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    "CHEERS"

AGGHHH! and still do.

Just say Thank You!

TOTALLY!

precisely.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• &Number
    The funniest thing about this thread is that I read this one and then a few minutes later I read the Super Lover Cee thread that got bumped up with some recent responses.

Not to call you out (I really don't mean this as a diss), just thought it was funny. Were you being funny, or did you get caught saying gorgeous?

what a gorgeous lp !

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=983549&page=0&fpart=2

what do you think ? im a sarcastic prick.

• what do you think ? im a sarcastic prick.

Brilliant. Your wit retains it's full luster. No paper scuffs. Plays well.

&Number
    The funniest thing about this thread is that I read this one and then a few minutes later I read the Super Lover Cee thread that got bumped up with some recent responses.

what a gorgeous lp !

what do you think ? im a sarcastic prick from Boston[/b].

Same difference, though.

• did you get caught saying gorgeous?

what a gorgeous lp !

LOLLL sucka!

wow...i guess sarcasm really does get lost here.

2 words for that..... ON PURPOSE.

• wait, who says this? i dont ever hear those words. and im both!

• Do you FANCY a beer?