meat beat manifesto

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
i remember looong ago picking a meat beat manifesto cd on a whim, and i still put it on from time to time, but i never hear anybody talk about them(him?) i know a lot of it is kinda lame indsutrial sounding stuff, but there are a lot of quality tracks, and really he was using some pretty obscure stuff early on...

thread inspired by the soundclip of johnny jones and the king casuals' cover of purple haze i heard on the rehash site...a track which meat beat manifesto sampled back in 1990 or so...

any other fans on here?

Comments

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    yes!

have you heard jack dangers solo stuff? the ones which arent analougesynth ambient shite.. the "hello friends" lp has some great tracks on it. that guy has skills on the drums. i always liked the way he mixed them - and his layers... latin percussion on top, drummachines on the bottom... proper chopping too!

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Oh hell yeah.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If you wanna sound like you know electronic music, you say Meat Beat Manifesto sucked after 1990. og mix of Radio Babylon is the one you need. I think they were from Swindon, the scummers.

Burning with Ecstacy, as we all were.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    hey meat beat question..

Okay.. there have been million page articles on cut n paste and I'm 99% sure noone has mentioned "Cut Man" off the Armed Audio Warfare LP from what... 88? This shit is str8 up cut n paste a la steinski.. loopin up "just kissed my baby" "rock steady" and striaght instrumental with no wierd German nihilist vocals over the top like the rest of the MBM tracks.

But my question.. was "Cut Man" ever released on vinyl? I know the single was "Dog Star Man" was... OOH WAIT I researched mid post... LOOK.

CD (which is the same tracklisting as the tape I had in Jr High)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4716187790&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Vinyl (fuck Bills Records)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4715949617&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

not on vinyl so it seems?

RAER!

There's a hip-hop-esque instrumental track off of that Armed Audio Warfare LP that packs a serious wallop. Reanimator I think it is...

I've got similar tracks by Information Society and Renegade Soundwave that make a righteous mix.

• Jack Dangers is partly responsibile for Tino's Breaks, no?

He seems to spin/perfor fairly often in SF. Never caught him, but have always considered it.

There's a hip-hop-esque instrumental track off of that Armed Audio Warfare LP that packs a serious wallop. Reanimator I think it is...

I've got similar tracks by Information Society and Renegade Soundwave that make a righteous mix.

yep..

but here's the track I was talkin bout which seems to be tape/cd only:

pnm://rm.content.loudeye.com/~a-600111/0008385_0111_00_0002.ra

damm that shit's kinda hot.. reanimator too. Industrial breaks will the next big thing. Take note, Raj.

No coincidence that a couple of TX diggers are so up on late-80's Meat Beat Manifesto. Consider this a tangent to the Dallas-->>>Houston ecstacy-scene from back then being an influence on the current rap scene.

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    Jack Dangers is 1/3 of Tinos breaks,and if you get a chance ,check them out Live.Jack Dangers is a true OG and has one of the most diverse record collections I have ever seen.He also has probably the Heaviest collection of Analogue Synths on the West Coast.

• No coincidence that a couple of TX diggers are so up on late-80's Meat Beat Manifesto. Consider this a tangent to the Dallas-->>>Houston ecstacy-scene from back then being an influence on the current rap scene.

I saw MBM twice in '89 in Houston. I haven't listened to "Storm The Studio" in a long, long time, but damn, I was into that.

The Dallas-->>>Houston ecstacy-scene never had an "impact" on me, per se, as I was never into disco biscuits.

PS Meat Beat were really, really fucking loud.

The Dallas-->>>Houston ecstacy-scene never had an "impact" on me, per se, as I was never into disco biscuits.

You and Chamillionaire...but even if you never indulged yourself you were still exposed to the music that was specifically selected to drive the biscuit-munchers, no?

• The Dallas-->>>Houston ecstacy-scene never had an "impact" on me, per se, as I was never into disco biscuits.

You and Chamillionaire...but even if you never indulged yourself you were still exposed to the music that was specifically selected to drive the biscuit-munchers, no?

Guilty as charged. But I think that Cham probably falls into the "don't get high off your own supply" category, whereas I fell into the "straight-edge but would still like to get laid" category.

Guilty as charged. But I think that Cham probably falls into the "don't get high off your own supply" category, whereas I fell into the "straight-edge but would still like to get laid" category.

Both of y'all need some pink turbo's in your lives.

Or not.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    this thread is confusing but I am glad N*** is brining late 80's industrial braekz into his diet
    try thrill kill kult or kmfdm or nitzer ebb hahahahhaa

there are many 90s rock braekz that will remain hidden until next year, yay!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

MBM's 99% isn't *that* bad...and in moderation, Renegade Soundwave can be good.

There was a time when snowboard video soundtracks were all about Consolidated and MC 900 Ft Jesus. There was a time before that when they were all about Joe Satriani.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

...and in moderation, Renegade Soundwave can be good.

THE PHANTOM (IT'S IN THERE)

excellent track, one of my faves from that era

• MC 900 Ft Jesus

Texas, stand up!

For some reason, I was thinking about his first single today ("Shut Up"). Props to DJ Zero.

MC 900 Ft Jesus

"I light the fires while the city sleep." i dunno.. i think I'll stick to beatin my meat.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I love Meat Beat Manifesto. Jack Dangers always does a really good job of beat programming. And to answer someone else's question, yes, Jack is part of Tino Corp (http://www.tinocorp.com/). They have been performing regularly in San Francisco at Dub Mission.

from http://www.brainwashed.com/mbm

new album on the way, tour to follow
    The new Meat Beat Manifesto album is now finished
    Titled At The Center it will be be released worldwide by Thirsty Ear on May 24, 2005.

Track listing and production details are:
    Wild
    Flute Thang
    Murita Cycles
    Want Ads One
    Blind
    Musica Classica
    Bohemian Grove
    United Nations etc etc
    Want Ads Two
    The Water Margin
    Shotgun! (blast to the brain)
    Granulation 1

Musicians: Jack Dangers with Dave King- Drums, Peter Gordon- Flute and Craig Taborn- Steinway Grand Piano, Fender Rhodes, clavinet, Hammond B3

Tour dates are still being finalized but the US Tour will run June 9 through July 3 and cover most major markets.

OTHER JACK DANGERS AND TINO NEWS
    The DJ Spooky/Dave Lombardo Drums Of Death CD-single of "B-Side Wins Again" produced by Jack and featuring Chuck D is in stores this week!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I shall make beats that rule

meat beat manifesto

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I saw these guys live in about 98' and they still had it. What was crazy is my girl and I were listening to a Doors bootleg durring the day and when we get to the show they start off with a big Jim Morrison cut and paste from the same LP we were listen to before the show!!!!! That was pretty mind blowing. I felt like they were better live than on record. Some of there record stuff is cool, but live they really pushed it and remixed things on the fly. I didn't know much about them before the show but I walk out with respect.