Wayne Henderson Production

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
It was at this time he launched his At Home Productions label and went on to feature the artists, The L.A. Boppers, David Oliver, Ronnie Laws, Bobby Lyle, Side Effect, Pleasure, Gabor Szabo, Arthur Adams, Michael White, Hilary, Smoke, Chico Hamilton, Ramsey Lewis, Allspice and Narada Michael Walden.[/b] I copped the L.A Boppers and Side Effect from JP. How is the rest of his production catalog.

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Bobby Lyle's 'The Genie' is IMO the equal to a lot of Mizell Bros Blue Note productions of the time, and his work with Pleasure is in many ways the equal of the Mizell Bros Blackbyrds productions. I think Wayne Henderson's production stuff is excellent, and undervalued when compared to the kind of play the Mizell's get nowadays.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    It was at this time he launched his At Home Productions label and went on to feature the artists, The L.A. Boppers, David Oliver, Ronnie Laws, Bobby Lyle, Side Effect, Pleasure, Gabor Szabo, Arthur Adams, Michael White, Hilary, Smoke, Chico Hamilton, Ramsey Lewis, Allspice and Narada Michael Walden.[/b]

I copped the L.A Boppers and Side Effect from JP.

How is the rest of his production catalog.

yo cop that Fathers Children from 1979 with the great track "Hollywood Dreaming" & yes, I'll admit that Hiroshima stuff he produced is good.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Bobby Lyle's 'The Genie' is IMO the equal to a lot of Mizell Bros Blue Note productions of the time, and his work with Pleasure is in many ways the equal of the Mizell Bros Blackbyrds productions. I think Wayne Henderson's production stuff is excellent, and undervalued when compared to the kind of play the Mizell's get nowadays.

You know that Bobby Lyle The Genie, I didn't really like that record. I need to give another listen maybe. But,yes Wayne Henderson stuff is undervalued.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How crucial was he to the Crusaders sound? Did they fall off after he left?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    It was at this time he launched his At Home Productions label and went on to feature the artists, The L.A. Boppers, David Oliver, Ronnie Laws, Bobby Lyle, Side Effect, Pleasure, Gabor Szabo, Arthur Adams, Michael White, Hilary, Smoke, Chico Hamilton, Ramsey Lewis, Allspice and Narada Michael Walden.[/b]

I copped the L.A Boppers and Side Effect from JP.

How is the rest of his production catalog.

yo cop that Fathers Children from 1979 with the great track "Hollywood Dreaming" & yes, I'll admit that Hiroshima stuff he produced is good.

I forgot about that one!

Who produced the Future's 'Ain't Got Time For Nothin'"? those two songs always seem cut from the same cloth.

• He did an lp with Roy Ayers that featuring Sylvia Striplin on some vocals...pretty good.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Wayne Henderson's production is excellent, although I think his work with Side Effect is my favorite from him, so it sounds like you're already on your way.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I'll admit that Hiroshima stuff he produced is good.

I forgot about that one!

I've been playing "Lion Dance" a fair bit recently. I'm a sucker for EWF-ish "ooooeeeoobaaadiap" vocals. It's surprising how well the koto integrates into a disco setting

Henderson's productions are bit hit'n'miss IMO. Some are good, but often they just seem a little unremarkable. This reminded me that I need to purge that Chameleon LP, but now I can't find it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The Arthur Adams is the one (I think) with the girl running through the field on the cover.
    I remember that being pretty decent, kinda Little Beaver-ish.
    Smoke was actually the soundtrack to The Candy Tangerine Man wasn't it? It's OK, nothing great.