Soulseek Troubles

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I don't know what the problem is with Soulseek. Every few months I log on and give it a shot but come up empty. I type the most basic stuff into the search and get zero results -- I'm currently coming up empty on a search for "Common." WTF? I downloaded the latest version and it isn't helping. Do you have to pay to play with this?

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I don't know what the problem is with Soulseek. Every few months I log on and give it a shot but come up empty. I type the most basic stuff into the search and get zero results -- I'm currently coming up empty on a search for "Common." WTF? I downloaded the latest version and it isn't helping. Do you have to pay to play with this?

I 've never used soulseek but the issue is happening with limewire & frostwire etc. All of the p2p sites. it's just one group doing this...RIAA has something to do with it. I"m most certain.

• Are your port settings configured correctly?

• my friend has been reporting the same problem with slsk.

have a tech friend come over and try to fix it.

i feel slsk will always go under the radar of p2p places which is good because i dont want it to ever get shut down.

im one of those people who is too lazy to dig thru all their stuff to find an old record out of the thousands i have an actually rip it for myself until i cant find it anywhere online...that is if i want to hear it but dont feel like looking for it.

i am slowly but surely trying to find everything in my collection digital. what i cant find i rip. shit takes forever though.

• i feel slsk will always go under the radar of p2p places which is good because i dont want it to ever get shut down.

Soulseek is most definitely on the radar... it was in a damn NY Times article!

• i feel slsk will always go under the radar of p2p places which is good because i dont want it to ever get shut down.

Soulseek is most definitely on the radar... it was in a damn NY Times article!

i know its somewhat on the radar but if you have ever read reviews on the net from people its great, they all say it sucks and isnt god for anything. keep it that way!

i wish they instituted a rule about major label releases. that would keep a place unscathed for sure.

you have a link to the article?

was it recent?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Are your port settings configured correctly?

Also, if you use some firewall check if it's not blocking Soulseek.
    I made a search and got zero result cos' Norton was blocking it.
    I gave it permission and it works fine now.

Peace

• oh no.you might have to BUY music.

fuckingshitfuckkkkuntpustule!

• you have a link to the article?

was it recent?

You know what, my bad, it is in New York Magazine this month.

http://nymag.com/news/features/42391/

i shouldnt even reply to your comment. i worked in a store as a main buyer for years and have pretty much spent all my money on music since i was like 13(im 37 now).

people like you got some high post counts but people like myself have high record counts.

over 4 large expedit shelfs.....and not the one with the shelves filled with hard drives either

i shouldnt even reply to your comment.

Then don't muh-fucka!

lol!

i shouldnt even reply to your comment. i worked in a store as a main buyer for years and have pretty much spent all my money on music since i was like 13(im 37 now).

people like you got some high post counts but people like myself have high record counts.

over 4 large expedit shelfs.....and not the one with the shelves filled with hard drives either

Ethered!

Does this mean that Young_Phoniques has reapplied himself to digging??

You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass Seratobox!

Ethered!

Does this mean that Young_Phoniques has reapplied himself to digging??

You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass Seratobox!

Dog, I went all over San Salvador digging. From the black market to the red light district. Please.

I came up on that Juniors record yo.

and what did you think I did with some of my free time in Japan. Hit up shops.

but yo, a clear Microwave box does sound hot.

• I'm just rubbing your noggin holmes. Yeshomo.

Saying though you were the one who was all disenchanted with digging and whatnot a couple months ago...

• I'm just rubbing your noggin holmes. Yeshomo.

Saying though you were the one who was all disenchanted with digging and whatnot a couple months ago...

hell yeah and damn I didn't know that would be so memorable.

I just needed to stop for a minute but now after this trip it's made me hyped for hitting up fleas and going to non-record stores to get records. I figure if I could do that shit in some really sketch spots in a different country I can surely do it in the U.S.A that are probally a lot more safer.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The search function for soulseek has been on the fritz for a few years now. Best thing to do is add stuff to your favorite searches & let it ride.

• configure your ports and everything will just fine.

p.s. What's up Haz? Where have you been?

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    soulseek is nice if you pay for privileges

• people like you got some high post counts but people like myself have high record counts.

"i have all the records in the world!, conveniently stacked in ovah 4 large expedit shelves[/b]..."

i shouldnt even reply to your comment, but..

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    also try putting spaces after your last didgit/letter you will get different results

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts

I use to paypal them like 10 bucks a month. Makes a huge difference in your search results and bumps you up in the dl list. Don't really use soulseek anymore dosn't seem to like my mac very much.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I use to paypal them like 10 bucks a month. Makes a huge difference in your search results and bumps you up in the dl list. Don't really use soulseek anymore dosn't seem to like my mac very much.

Yeah, if you are Soulseek enthusiast it's definitely worth stumping up a monthly contribution. Otherwise, it's also worth upgrading the Soulseek software every few months.

Bloodcell, you can download AND buy music - they are not mutually exclusive. In fact, all the research shows that heavy downloaders are also the biggest buyers of the physical products too. Downloading isn't killing the music biz, the labels are.

Most people would rather pay for a reasonably priced legal product which is DRM-free but the majors' ridiculous pricing and obsessive need to control use of files after download means a lot of people will go the illegal route. This really is a case of don't hate the player, hate the game.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I used to throw Soulseek $5 every once in a while, and it seemed to work. I am going to have to adjust my ports -- that looks a little complicated.

I don't know how many of you guys go into the Soulstrut room on there, but I set it up to enter automatically; every time I go in, there's no conversation but the same message floats across the screen: "Pookie Luv: I luv you all" or something to that effect.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Is that Conrad in your avatar?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Is that Conrad in your avatar?

It is. Conrad as seen by Warhol.

• people like you got some high post counts but people like myself have high record counts.

"i have all the records in the world!, conveniently stacked in ovah 4 large expedit shelves[/b]..."

i shouldnt even reply to your comment, but..

nice try. go back to NOT posting

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    configure your ports and everything will just fine.

p.s. What's up Haz? Where have you been?

Hey batson!

I've been around. Never see you on line. Been going movie-mad lately. Got Legend of the 7 golden vampires to watch tonight. Holleur.