That second Artifacts album

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Why do I own a copy of this?I just listened to it for the first time in probably close to a decade and these guys are seriously not what's up.The production and the fact that it was 1994 really camouflaged their shortcomings on the first album.b/wShawn J. Period = why, exactly, did dudes think he was so great for a minute? His schitts on the Artifacts record are just boring.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Shawn J. Period = why, exactly, did dudes think he was so great for a minute? His schitts on the Artifacts record are just boring.

I think I might be willing to put a small amount of money down that one of you poptarts comes on here tawmbout "but his drum sounds, yo!"

• Shame on you for buying this in the first place. I like their first record though.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    finch

Shame on you for buying this in the first place. I like their first record though.

Me too.

This was before the days of downloading a preview--shame on me for gripping it for ten years, though.

• You know, I checked out the first single and just was not feeling it... never went past that.

• Shame on you for buying this in the first place. I like their first record though.

Me too.

This was before the days of downloading a preview--shame on me for gripping it for ten years, though.

I see your ARtifacts and raise you with a Cella Dwellas

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Cella Dwellas suck. That Artifacts record had 3 decent tracks on it, which was very disappointing based on their 1st album.

• Cella Dwellas suck. That Artifacts record had 3 decent tracks on it, which was very disappointing based on their 1st album.

sayin, I'm just glad that all that crap in my collection was from my college radio free promo days

Loud was ridiculous with all the slightly different promos they gave out to every tom dick and harry

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Correct me if i'm wrong, but don't most people know about 9th Creation, Jack Bruce, Galt Mc Dermot and a couple of others BECAUSE of such groups like Atifacts and Cella Dwellas?? (add Smiff & Wess and friends...)
    I'm sayin', they wasnt the greatest rappers, even tho' i could argue with you about UG from Cella Dwellas being a damn good rapper. The second Artifacts LP sucks azz for sure and the 1st one is a classic (thanks to T-RAY). Im feeling what you're saying, but i'm kind of missing that era so much that i feel bad bashing groups like Artifacts. And "The Ultimate" (the Showbiz version) wasn't that bad...Or was it??lol...

Cella Dwellas suck.

This group is great.

Not so much for their music but for making explicit the connection between backpackerism and Dungeons and Dragons.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    And "The Ultimate" (the Showbiz version) wasn't that bad...Or was it??lol...

Naw, it was really quite good. But yeah, otherwise...

The real question for Yung Rillz is whether he owns any Brick City Kids 12"s.

LOL

Yeah, I did buy that 12" when it came out, on some "Beatnuts + The Artifacts = Yes, plaese!" but was immediately disappointed.

Do I or do I not recall you speaking up in defense of this record within the past five years, though?

And wasn't there a spate of El da Sensei vs. Tame One dis 12"s during the Sandbox era?

That schitt is comedy--it's like me thinking the listening public has an interest in my beef with the dude from the mailroom.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

And wasn't there a spate of El da Sensei vs. Tame One dis 12"s during the Sandbox era?

did ANYONE hear any of these 12"s?

Why did you remind me i bought that, eyes closed. And i clearly remember how thin the vinyl was so it was very easy for me to do a frisbee with. Or maybe i threw it above steam to re-do some Dali's clock...

did ANYONE hear any of these 12"s?

Bet the dude who coined the phrase Rawkus Deadstock Gold! has...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the Artifacts are just boring.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This thread is getting silly. Artifacts are dope, Tame and El both have a unique, distinct style and flow. The first album was hot and The Ultimate album version and Showbiz rmx was dope. Brick city kids was the joint too. Both Tame and El have made quality material since.

Yeah, but this Faux's thread. He hates his indie backpacker past with a vengeance.

Not so long ago i dug up some shyt i used to love back then...I must admit that 10% of my back-in-the-days playlist is mad suspect. Example : Scott Lark Da Sensei. I guess i was the only one feeling him back then, and still is.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    This thread is getting silly. Artifacts are dope, Tame and El both have a unique, distinct style and flow. The first album was hot and The Ultimate album version and Showbiz rmx was dope.

The Hatt must stop.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Artifacts definitely fell victim to the sophomore slump, but throw your backpack on & check this K-Def remix of "Hot":

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6449121b0fb2f0/

• And wasn't there a spate of El da Sensei vs. Tame One dis 12"s during the Sandbox era?

Man, I like some of those EDS singles...was pruning recently and decided to keep most of them. El Da Sensei is on point.

• Cats on here are BUGGIN

Their 1st album is a classic,NO weak shit on it..The producetion is sick on there..I would put that album in my top 15 for the 90's,easily.

Their 2nd album "That's Them" is not as good as the first but a dope album,and easily one of the best album's of 1997.

"Art Of Facts"
    "The Ultimate"
    "The Ultimate" Showbiz remix
    "Coolaboration Of Mc's" Lord Finesse and Lord Jamar
    "This Is The Way"
    "The Interview"
    "Return To The Wrongside"

ALL dope tracks imo

I've never met a person that said their 1st album isn't a classic or at least didn't like some of their 2nd album also.

Only on here i guess

• "Coolaboration Of Mc's" Lord Finesse and Lord Jamar

I believe it was "Collaboration of Mics."

In any case, it takes the prize for Weakest Song Title (1997).

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Shawn J. Period = why, exactly, did dudes think he was so great for a minute? His schitts on the Artifacts record are just boring.

faux_rillz = why, exactly, did dudes think he was so great for a minute? His schitts on the Soulstrut are just boring.

• Only on here i guess

these same dudes will be talking about hell hath no fury the same way in 10 years.

Who are "these same dudes" exactly?

I never fucked with the Artifacts 2nd record, didn't back in 1997 and see no reason to now.

As I wrote in the third poast of the thread, I fuck with their 1st LP to this day.

I like Hell Hath No Fury.

Deal with it.

• This thread is getting silly. Artifacts are dope, Tame and El both have a unique, distinct style and flow. The first album was hot and The Ultimate album version and Showbiz rmx was dope. Brick city kids was the joint too. Both Tame and El have made quality material since.

Yeah, but this Faux's thread. He hates his indie backpacker past with a vengeance.

did dudes think so? i think the first mos def 12" holds up. didnt he go super christian? i heard he stopped sampling because it was still stealing in the eyes of god

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    these same dudes will be talking about...

• these same dudes will be talking about...

LOL

Yeah, I did buy that 12" when it came out, on some "Beatnuts + The Artifacts = Yes, plaese!" but was immediately disappointed.

Do I or do I not recall you speaking up in defense of this record within the past five years, though?

That schitt is comedy--it's like me thinking the listening public has an interest in my beef with the dude from the mailroom.

Oh, believe you me, I got all the skeletons of this era in my closet. Or, technically, garage, which is where all my deadstock Rawkus gold and OG Guesswhyld 12"s reside.

As for the idea that "That's Them" was one of the best albums of 1997.