Need Help With Stax Breaks

darksunriderdarksunrider 9 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Just got lucky enough to be able to utilize the whole stax catalog..I know that this is a far fetched hope but does anyone out there, have a list of joints from that label..One hand washes the other help me out and Ill do the same in return..Peace to all the Strutters out there..One Ultraman...

Comments

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Just got lucky enough to be able to utilize the whole stax catalog..I know that this is a far fetched hope but does anyone out there, have a list of joints from that label..One hand washes the other help me out and Ill do the same in return..Peace to all the Strutters out there..One Ultraman...

Post of the year.

b/w

• Just the songs? or do you have access to the multi track sessions?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Just the songs? or do you have access to the multi track sessions?

Anyone can get the released versions of the songs. The multi track sessions is whats really really!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Is this Justin Timberlake?

• concorde records own the stax catalog...they are the ones who approached me with the idea..But the sheer magnitude of the catalog is mind boggling..Hence the post and plea for help..My educated guess is maybe its the sessions ..I dont know for sure but I will find out..Thanks Strutters One Ultra

concorde records own the stax catalog...they are the ones who approached me with the idea..But the sheer magnitude of the catalog is mind boggling..Hence the post and plea for help..My educated guess is maybe its the sessions ..I dont know for sure but I will find out..Thanks Strutters One Ultra

Approached you with what idea? You make tracks with samples of Stax multi track sessions and then sell the joints to rappers? Then you split the points and publishing with Stax/Concorde? They must be in it to get some loot. I really don't see them just looking out and sending you masters.

• Peace & respect Ultraman.
    Dark Sun Riders album was incredible IMO.
    Good luck with this project.

Word. Dark Sun Riders album was dope.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Here's a list of some Stax 45s I have that I like. Don't know how useful some of these songs are for whatever you want them for (please not a cash in Stax remix album).

William Bell - Gettin What You Want
    Booker T & The MGs - Time Is Tight
    Booker T & the MGs - Fuquawi
    Booker T & The MGs - Soul Limbo
    Booker T & the MGs - Hang Em High
    Booker T & The MGs - Melting Pot
    Judy Clay & William Bell - Private Number
    The Emotions - So I Can Love You
    Eddie Floyd - Blood Is Thicker Than Water
    Eddie Floyd - Why Is The Wine Sweeter
    Eddie Floyd - Laurie
    Isaac Hayes - Theme From Shaft
    Isaac Hayes - Cafe Regios
    Isaac Hayes - Theme From The Men
    Isaac Hayes - Never Can Say Goodbye
    Frederick Knight - Friend
    Jean Knight - You Think You're Hot Stuff
    Jean Knight - Mr Big Stuff
    Little Milton - Sweet Woman Of Mine
    Little Milton - Rainy Day
    Mel & Tim - Starting All Over Again
    Soul Children - Love Makes It Right
    Staple Singers - Love Is Plentiful
    Staple Singers - This World
    Staple Singers - Touch A Hand Make A Friend
    Staple Singers - This World
    Staple Singers - My main Man
    Staple Singers - Respect Yourself
    Staple Singers - I'll Take You there
    Staple Singers - That's What Friends Are For
    Staple Singers - Long Walk To DC
    Johnnie Taylor - I Could Never Be President
    Johnnie Taylor - It's September
    Johnnie Taylor - I Believe In You
    Johnnie taylor - Take care Of Your Homework
    Johnnie taylor - Cheaper To Keep Her
    Carla Thomas - The Time For Love Is Anytime
    Carla Thomas - Where Do I Go
    Rufus Thomas - Boogie Ain't Nuttin'
    Rufus Thomas - Do The Double Bump
    Rufus Thomas - Do The Funky Chicken

• Let me set this straight before it gets out of hand..Christian Scott is a jazz artist on Concorde..He did a joint on Xclans last album..they dug it and wanted him to do some horn parts for the new joint..While the negotiating for that went on the idea was presented for us to be able to utilize their catalog. to make some joints for our new album..In now way shape or form was I asking for info to make money for the record companies by making joints for them to sell..Im from the old school and I dont get down like that...I just thought that this was the quickest way to find some hot joints to rock for the new albums..since im not that familiar with the unknown stax joints.just needed to get a feeler on how large a undertaking this would be..I got nothin but love for my craft and those knowledgeable strutters who looked out for me..I apologize if this post rubbed any one the wrong way peace out..Ultra ..And thank you for those cats who loved The DSR jointz..much repsect to you cats.....Ultraman..

All the Dramatics albums have some nice stuff, but they have already been sampled to death!

In now way shape or form was I asking for info to make money for the record companies by making joints for them to sell..Im from the old school and I dont get down like that...

Why not? GET THAT MONEY!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    jean knight "do me" is nasty rAWNess

Let me set this straight before it gets out of hand..Christian Scott is a jazz artist on Concorde..He did a joint on Xclans last album..they dug it and wanted him to do some horn parts for the new joint..While the negotiating for that went on the idea was presented for us to be able to utilize their catalog. to make some joints for our new album..In now way shape or form was I asking for info to make money for the record companies by making joints for them to sell..Im from the old school and I dont get down like that...I just thought that this was the quickest way to find some hot joints to rock for the new albums..since im not that familiar with the unknown stax joints.just needed to get a feeler on how large a undertaking this would be..I got nothin but love for my craft and those knowledgeable strutters who looked out for me..I apologize if this post rubbed any one the wrong way peace out..Ultra ..And thank you for those cats who loved The DSR jointz..much repsect to you cats.....Ultraman..
    Fair enough, in reality I'm not really sure if a well known catalog like Stax has a whole bunch of unused stuff left, I guess if you had the session tapes you could isolate parts to make stuff, I really think you have a large undertaking ahead of you finding new useable stuff. Good luck.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    you should check out the box sets

you should check out the box sets

keeping in mind you won't have access to any of the Atlantic owned masters.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Let me set this straight before it gets out of hand..Christian Scott is a jazz artist on Concorde..He did a joint on Xclans last album..they dug it and wanted him to do some horn parts for the new joint..While the negotiating for that went on the idea was presented for us to be able to utilize their catalog. to make some joints for our new album..In now way shape or form was I asking for info to make money for the record companies by making joints for them to sell..Im from the old school and I dont get down like that...I just thought that this was the quickest way to find some hot joints to rock for the new albums..since im not that familiar with the unknown stax joints.just needed to get a feeler on how large a undertaking this would be..I got nothin but love for my craft and those knowledgeable strutters who looked out for me..I apologize if this post rubbed any one the wrong way peace out..Ultra ..And thank you for those cats who loved The DSR jointz..much repsect to you cats.....Ultraman..
    Fair enough, in reality I'm not really sure if a well known catalog like Stax has a whole bunch of unused stuff left, I guess if you had the session tapes you could isolate parts to make stuff, I really think you have a large undertaking ahead of you finding new useable stuff. Good luck.

Co-sign. It's not likely there's much unreleased material left on Stax given how extensively they've been box-set and comped...could be some b-sides that haven't gotten much shine however.

Personally, the "use multi-track session tapes to make remixes" leaves me a bit ambivalent. I think it can create some fun projects - see the Motown series for example - but I'm equally of a mind of, "don't mess with a good thing." That said, there's some good remix potential for someone so inclined and who has the skills to pull it off right.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    wow, thats crazy, what a great label to get an access all areas pass to, so much good music, of course alot of it has seen sampled, but dudes are kidding theselves if they think there isnt anything left, there are still James Brown loops that havent seen the sampler, so i would bet my entire boz scaggs collection on the fact that there is still more than enough unheard fodder from an entire labels catalouge. Congrats on the score, i am very jealous (even if i just got to hear some of the unrealesed stuff i would be happy)!

• jean knight "do me" is nasty rAWNess

im gonna go ahead and co-sign on that.

• not about the breaks but

charlene and the soul children-love changes

is my jam right now.

that

and prince conley- I'm going home

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Kind of a sidenote but Concorde records has their head up their ass and has been f**king it up in a major way recently, and they've pretty much blocked access to the original master tapes of most of the unreleased Fantasy-owned material (of which there is tons. I have seen it with my own eyes. It boggles the mind.) They're moving them all from Berkeley to some kind of bomb-proof facility in Colorado, putting people out of work and halting the digitizing of tapes that was going on almost every day at Fantasy.

That said, I'm pretty certain that the Stax material has all been transferred to 24-it multitrack so you should be good.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Kind of a sidenote but Concorde records has their head up their ass and has been f**king it up in a major way recently, and they've pretty much blocked access to the original master tapes of most of the unreleased Fantasy-owned material (of which there is tons. I have seen it with my own eyes. It boggles the mind.) They're moving them all from Berkeley to some kind of bomb-proof facility in Colorado, putting people out of work and halting the digitizing of tapes that was going on almost every day at Fantasy.

That said, I'm pretty certain that the Stax material has all been transferred to 24-it multitrack so you should be good.

have they really? thats very strange. a friend of mine does some work recording new artists for them.

I have a ton of those stax multitracks. Any respectable digger should know whats hot on stax so id reccomend the op do a little homework first. Im not gonna throw the boz at you completely but i mean come on.

That said, going through the multitracks to sample can be a bit overwhelming. Best use of em ive heard so far is the track jake did for freeway, which was out of control hot.

But basicly the label is very keen on having these available to alot of producers and id expect to see alot of other old labels following suit.

Eventually i believe you will be able to get multitracks for just about anything off itunes and shit. Its really only a matter of time at this point.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Wait, were you in dark sun riders?

If so thats awesome!

• Any respectable digger should know whats hot on stax

not to be uppity but i have to cosine this...
    looks like the strut done gone and went soft on a newbie with a digging 101 question

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Any respectable digger should know whats hot on stax

not to be uppity but i have to cosine this...
    looks like the strut done gone and went soft on a newbie with a digging 101 question

But if this is Ultraman from Dark Sun Riders then it'd be nice to think the Strut would know better than to treat them like a 15 year old who just got into digging.

• Co-sign. It's not likely there's much unreleased material left on Stax given how extensively they've been box-set and comped...could be some b-sides that haven't gotten much shine however.

there are only 3, I believe, B-sides, total, over the course of the 3 singles box sets...those box sets are a-sides only. Also, they do not include non-US exclusive singles(ie the French only Johnnie Taylor "Blues in the Night"), nor the sides of singles that had different flips(ie Wendy Rene "After Laughter" has 2 releases, with different flips)...the box sets are in no way complete...the first one even omits a couple dumb-rare volt releases (Sir Issac and the Doo-Dads for example)

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the box sets are in no way complete...

Which sorta makes sense for the second and third boxes...Stax diversified in so many areas by then that it wouldn't sound right to have, say, Isaac Hayes followed up by, say, Lena Zavaroni or some country singer, so a lot of the non-soul stuff had to go.

But then again, there is a Carla Thomas 45 from 1970 that didn't make it (this single sucks, BTW, but STILL), and I don't think the Round Robin Monopoly was included on box #3 (does someone else have the rights? are they a white rock band who just happened to lean towards funk?).

the first one even omits a couple dumb-rare volt releases (Sir Issac and the Doo-Dads for example)

I was once talking about that first box with Billy from Norton Records, and he was pissed that it didn't include any of Stax's stupid-rare rockabilly sides like Don Willis' "Warrior Sam" (back when Stax was still called Satellite).

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    That dark sun riders album was slept on HARD.

• OK this is my last post on this..First of all this is the one and only Ultraman from the Darksunriders...I am so happy that cats who I respect dug my music..I am responsible for more than 80 percent of that album..and I am once again happy that you cats dug it..I knew that I was probably seting myself up for the Newbie Dis treatment but I lost my other email and Id which was originally ultra , so I expected some cats to go a little hard on me .....Take that shit to the breaks..hahaha but its all good fam..I just wanted to see if there was some cat out there who maybe had some secret squirrel knowledge about Stax..So I thank each and every one of you for your time..Having said that Im gonna dead this issue, talk to my connect and see what pops off..I look forward to participating in this forum and I thank you cats for your time...Respectfully Ultraman The Groove Tweaker DSR....One

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

But if this is Ultraman from Dark Sun Riders then it'd be nice to think the Strut would know better than to treat them like a 15 year old who just got into digging.

That dark sun riders album was slept on HARD.

Anyway, as far as the Stax thing goes, if you've got access to the parts, I'd be interested to see what could be done with parts of more well-known joints. Like, get busy with "The Breakdown" or something, see if you can take a sample that couldn't be isolated off the record and do something ill with it. But that's just me.