Good internal earphones?

ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I want to get one for my iPod that is more comfortable than the stock ones that are packaged with it. I saw a attractive magazine ad for some that Bose makes that boast the bass clarity, but I didn't think much of it until now. The bulky, high quality DJ headphones are best kept at home.

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    How much are you looking to spend? I like the shure ones. Preserving your hearing is a good look.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    The pioneers of in-ear headphones: www.etymotic.com

I had the ER6 for awhile. You will hear details that you didn't think existed in the music you're listening to. Apple's in-ear headphones are a joke in comparison. Mine ended up breaking, but that was probably due to rough handling. They aren't particularly comfortable, but you get 30 db of isolation which basically means that people can be talking in front of you and you won't hear anything.

I've also heard that Shure makes some nice in-ear headphones.

• I want to get one for my iPod that is more comfortable than the stock ones that are packaged with it. I saw a attractive magazine ad for some that Bose makes that boast the bass clarity, but I didn't think much of it until now. The bulky, high quality DJ headphones are best kept at home.

I have these and they are seriously dope...

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/products/superfi/superfi5pro_description.php

Supposedly retail for 250, but i think you can get them aggresively cheaper. probably 125-150? they also have an increased bass model

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    from my experience - you're good with any Sony earbuds costing around $50.....
    they're very durable, very comfortable and most importantly produce great sound. I've struggled to find the right pair for a while - and honestly you don't need to spend a lot. Truth be told - you're not going to get AMAZING sound quality listening to MP3s - so don't go spending a lot to do so. I've got a pair like the ones below in black and they sound great. the thick rubber wiring never really tangles and the unique design makes it so there's no weight pulling down within your ears. surprisingly good bass response and the rubber bud piece never comes off.....highly reccomended.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    ^ What Woimsah said.
    I bought Sony MDR-EX51 for under $30 over a year ago and they've stood up great.
    Plenty bass, sounds great for the gym/jogging/whatever.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    they're very durable, very comfortable and most importantly produce great sound. I've struggled to find the right pair for a while - and honestly you don't need to spend a lot. Truth be told - you're not going to get AMAZING sound quality listening to MP3s - so don't go spending a lot to do so. I've got a pair like the ones below in black and they sound great. the thick rubber wiring never really tangles and the unique design makes it so there's no weight pulling down within your ears. surprisingly good bass response and the rubber bud piece never comes off.....highly reccomended.

Thanks for the recommendations. I was only looking to spend $50, maybe a little more. I'm willing to break $100 when it comes to headphones. I ended up getting this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280189028651

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    yea you'll be straight with those. telling you - I've kept mine in my DJ bag buried under random shit for months at a time - still sound like new and I've never lost a bud...

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

how long have you had these? i went through 2 phucking pairs where the wires self disintigrated, and its a common occurence reading amazong reviews. i got pissed after the second time and upgraded to the shure ec2s which are amazing. the wires are more durable, yet i went through 2 pairs of those also. best thing about shure is there 2 year warranty, return them, get them replaced no questions asked. i reccommend the shures over sony.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

how long have you had these? i went through 2 phucking pairs where the wires self disintigrated, and its a common occurence reading amazong reviews. i got pissed after the second time and upgraded to the shure ec2s which are amazing. the wires are more durable, yet i went through 2 pairs of those also. best thing about shure is there 2 year warranty, return them, get them replaced no questions asked. i reccommend the shures over sony.

I can guarantee that the Sony headphones do not survive being slammed in a car door. Other than that they were a pretty good choice in the sub $50 range, very comfortable and good at blocking outside noise which is pretty much my two top priorities in a commuter pair. The sound was fine, not amazing but far better than the iPod earbuds. The rigors of my commute have led me to go with much cheaper pairs. I'm afraid I'm too hard on good cans to spring for them every 2 months or so, which is about the life expectancy of any pair I use day in day out.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I've had the same Sony MDR-EX-70LP's since 2001 and they sound fantastic for the money. Great bass. I've used them almost daily for 7 years and they've not fallen apart, other than the plastic around the chrome bit coming away.

Anyway, I got these Shure SE210's for Christmas. They take a bit of dicking about to find right buds for your ear, but they sound way better across the whole frequency range. The bass is really dependent on getting a good in-ear seal [insert joke], whereas the Sony's have good bass all the time.

But overall, the Shures are better (which at 3x the price of the Sony's now, they should be).