R.I.P. Mort Garson

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Just saw this over at the VG+ boards:http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117978685.html?categoryid=16&cs=1My Garson section is not that deep (Zodiac, Plantasia, Hair Pieces, Virgo), but I always liked his approach to the whole moog concept thing, and I find his LPs to be a notch above the chaff in that genre. I still need "Lucifer".

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    RIP.

He was great. I cherish this record:

There's something to be said for electronic music that came out of those old machines without all of the presets, etc. The sounds, song structure, everything about it was original. His stuff, Morton Sobutnick's records ... really inventive and fun to listen to.

I also have a 45 he did called "the Kung Fu" under the name "Lords of Percussion" ... oddball electronic heavy funk 45 I pull out from time to time. Great stuff.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    dayum, i just copped lucifer a few months ago too

• that's too bad, he was definitely a great artist.
    does anyone have the whole Zodiac series?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    that's too bad, he was definitely a great artist.

i have 2 but i found like 4 more all at once and didnt buy any of them. WHOOPS!

is anybody TRYING to get them all? would be cool. Garson was fuckin cool. i played Black Mass Lucifer for my friends a couple weeks ago and now any time they come over and we start listening to records they demand i put it on. haha

R.I.P.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

i do. collect em all!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

i do. collect em all!

They all have the same music, right? Just the voice over is different. Or is that a different zodiac series?

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

i do. collect em all!

They all have the same music, right? Just the voice over is different. Or is that a different zodiac series?

yeah, the music for the various parts are the same, but not all go in the same order. the music is pretty low in the mix actually, the main entertainment(?) is in the goofy narratives. collect em all!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    I'LL REP THE LUCIFERS MASS AND SOME OF HIS OTHER MOOG JOINTS as 60s/70s cir-cut kitsch like florence henderson ocsillating on greg's dick up in the hippy attic an shit
    but yo....someone hook up that kung fu 45 joint for sound pleeze

• that's too bad, he was definitely a great artist.

i do. collect em all!

yeah, the music for the various parts are the same, but not all go in the same order. the music is pretty low in the mix actually, the main entertainment(?) is in the goofy narratives. collect em all!
    crazy/spooky spoken word + experimental electronics is a great genre overall
    I've got some Ruth White and that Seduction Through Witchcraft album ... can't think of others offhand but it's usually a fun listen

• sad news.... i love that PLANTASIA album of music for your plants to grow to.

someone hook up that kung fu 45 joint for sound pleeze

It'll have to wait until this evening, but I'll post it up.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    someone hook up that kung fu 45 joint for sound pleeze

It'll have to wait until this evening, but I'll post it up.

Please do

Ruth White

I was listening to Broadcast (the group) doing a guest DJ set on last.fm a couple of weeks ago, and they played a song from

Spooky Baudelaire recitation bleeps. Insane. I've got to get my hands on that LP.

• Thanks Snagglepus, I'm looking forward to it

Yeah, Flowers of Evil is one that I have, the mood is almost disturbing ... not quite as "goofy" as Zodiac. Another, Short Circuits, can be downloaded from here in mp3 format: http://fatbaron.com/shortcircuits/

Is there a place to hear this Broadcast set? I don't see it on last.fm. They were also on Jonny Trunk's Resonance show but I missed it. I wish that guy would podcast.

Is there a place to hear this Broadcast set? I don't see it on last.fm. They were also on Jonny Trunk's Resonance show but I missed it. I wish that guy would podcast.

Doh! It was on resonance.fm. And, yes, it was on Johnny Trunk's show. I'd like to hear it again too. They were playing some interesting stuff.

Here's the Lords of Percussion - The Kung-Fu track:

And, as a bonus, here are some tracks from the Ataraxia LP I mentioned:

Deja Vu -

Tarot -

thats some potential Dusty Fingers shit right there....

i think i have a 45 from that Ataraxia album.

• rip for mort
    i always have liked his records
    i remember i found plantasia in a flea market for 10 cents
    the perfect music for growing your plants
    have not yet copped black mass
    but i will one day

Thanks, Snagglepuss

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Can you rephrase this in the form of a Recordkingz description?

• doomdoom 305 Posts

HERE IS A MONSTER SPACY FUNK AND BREAKS LIBRARY 45 WHICH HAS BEEN SAMPLES BY "DJ PREMIER" "HIGH AND MIGHTY" "MADLIB" "DJ SPINNA" TO NAME A FEW.MUSIC WHICH MAKES SOME OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE SAMPLES FOR THE PRODUCERS.SOMETHING I RECCONISE HAS BEEN SAMPLED ALREADY BUT THIS RECORD IS LOADED WITH LOOP AFTER LOOP AND SAMPLE AFTER SAMPLE AND MUSICLY ITS INCREDIBLE THIS RECORD IS ON FIRE.WHICH IS SO PERFECT FOR THE DJ'S TO PLAY OUT AND FOR THE MUSIC LOVING COLLECTORS.THERE ARE ABOUT 2 DOPE MOOG FUNK TUNES ON THE WHOLE RECORD.STRIPPED DOWN RAW BEATS AND SAMPLES IS THE VIBE.ALSO YOU CAN FIND SOME MORE ILL GROOVES AND SOME SICK SAMPLES AND LOOPS ARE TO BE FOUND ON THE GEMM OF AN 45.

CHECK THE AUDIO CLIP LOADED WITH ILL MUSIC FOR A TEASER OF THE DOPE SPACY FUNK ON THIS NUGGET ON AN 45.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I really like his stuff. Ataraxia, Black Mass Lucifer, Wozard of Iz. Fun shit, he made ORIGINAL interesting music with moog instead of lame ass covers of pop tunes and classical music. RIP.

HERE IS A MONSTER SPACY FUNK AND BREAKS LIBRARY 45 WHICH HAS BEEN SAMPLES BY "DJ PREMIER" "HIGH AND MIGHTY" "MADLIB" "DJ SPINNA" TO NAME A FEW.MUSIC WHICH MAKES SOME OF THE MOST INCREDIBLE SAMPLES FOR THE PRODUCERS.SOMETHING I RECCONISE HAS BEEN SAMPLED ALREADY BUT THIS RECORD IS LOADED WITH LOOP AFTER LOOP AND SAMPLE AFTER SAMPLE AND MUSICLY ITS INCREDIBLE THIS RECORD IS ON FIRE.WHICH IS SO PERFECT FOR THE DJ'S TO PLAY OUT AND FOR THE MUSIC LOVING COLLECTORS.THERE ARE ABOUT 2 DOPE MOOG FUNK TUNES ON THE WHOLE RECORD.STRIPPED DOWN RAW BEATS AND SAMPLES IS THE VIBE.ALSO YOU CAN FIND SOME MORE ILL GROOVES AND SOME SICK SAMPLES AND LOOPS ARE TO BE FOUND ON THE GEMM OF AN 45.

CHECK THE AUDIO CLIP LOADED WITH ILL MUSIC FOR A TEASER OF THE DOPE SPACY FUNK ON THIS NUGGET ON AN 45.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    ROFL...

You forgot ONE thing tho' : the ILL STABZ!!!!