When's the last time you recorded a mix to cassett

jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
When's the last time you recorded a mix on cassette??I just did the other day for the first time in years. Brought back memories..(esp when I had to manually cue/take up the slack @ the beggining.When did y'all make the switch to CD's ? (give approx. year)I like the fact that with a mix on cassette the listener has to listen more linearly and can't jump arround to different tracks as easily. So your mix can't really be listened to out of context.

Comments

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Last night!

But that was the first time I have done that in about 2 years.

Normally its done to MD.

Yeah man, and I had to do that cueing the tape stuff for old times sake. Recorded for about 15 seconds and then took the tape out and wound it back to the tape cut-in point!!! OLD SKOOL.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    two days ago.

i haven't switched over forever (no computer at home), but i did make my first mixed CD two weeks ago at my friend's place. it felt pretty good.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    I like the fact that with a mix on cassette the listener has to listen more linearly and can't jump arround to different tracks as easily. So your mix can't really be listened to out of context.

agreed, ive been making mixtapes (the mainstream rap CD kind) for the last year, trying to step my paper game up, and you just lose the effect when you can just skip around, and then while your cutting up the final mix, you have to take into account how people will just skip to tracks, and it just takes away from the actual "mixing" of the tape (which i had been doing, unlike most) that i would end up just leaving at the end of the current track...i heart cassette mixing...but i havent done it in atleast a year.

• i used to ONLY record to cassette. i had a tape 4 track and would mix down to tape, then i got a MD 4track and mixed down to tape. then my double deck tape player died as well as the one in my truck. i opted to go to a cd player in my truck and then opted to get a cd burner as well. havent looked back since but i do kinda miss the old days of the tape. mixtapes would be like 2 seperate entitys instead of one long mix.

these days i think more people listen to cds than tapes so really you gotta switch over at some point. i did just recently get another double tape deck but i dont have any inputs left on my receiver to plug it in.

i think i made the switch around 2000-2001.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    The last time was about 3 years ago. I bought a consumer CD burner around 1999 because no one was having cassette players which translated to no tape sales. I had no computer to burn cd's so I baught this double deck joint. First CD player I ever owned. It payed foe itself in a month.

• About six years ago. Switched to CD and never looked back.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah i'd say somewhere around 2000 would have been my last one ... i may have made one or two more for my car but i ditched that ride that year so that woulda been the end.

incidently i dont mess with cue points in cd mixes.. i used to geek out on this and all but then i jsut said screw that.. people should go from begining to end and thats the end of that.

I like the fact that with a mix on cassette the listener has to listen more linearly and can't jump arround to different tracks as easily. So your mix can't really be listened to out of context.

agreed, ive been making mixtapes (the mainstream rap CD kind) for the last year, trying to step my paper game up, and you just lose the effect when you can just skip around, and then while your cutting up the final mix, you have to take into account how people will just skip to tracks, and it just takes away from the actual "mixing" of the tape (which i had been doing, unlike most) that i would end up just leaving at the end of the current track...i heart cassette mixing...but i havent done it in atleast a year.

I always liked that idea of a set as a trip, which it blatantly is, with the high points, low points, quiet parts, loud parts, slow, fast, style / atmosphere changes etc...

I especially think each part sounds like it does (to a certain extent) because of the elements heard in the other parts that preceed it (and follow it) although they are completely seperate parts, so take one of the earlier elements away and that section whoever skipped to isn't going to sound as good. Its like taking 1/3 of a jigsaw puzzle away and framing it.

Then the track the dude has skipped to is out of context (as jjfad said) and the dude is sat going 'I'm not feelin it'. Some dudes though, they're too impatient. It is frustrating though, from the DJ's perspective.

• i generally hate untracked cd mixes. especially loooooong ones.
    i also hate it when people use labels on cd-rs, either use a marker or get it screened/printed on plaese.

Yeah, CD mixes are annoying if they're untracked too. Theres no winning.

I suppose as long as the really skippy dudes listen to it all the way through on the first play, then tracking is okay, cause they know what they are supposed to be getting from it at that point they skip to.

Cut chemist kind of chopped his Rare Equations CD into 4 tracks per CD. That was a good medium, but still a bit annoying if you wanted to get to something quick.

• for sure every song doesnt have to have its own track but 80 min. mixes as one track are annoying as fuck to me.

sections are cool.

I rememeber tracking DJ Format's Average White Bloke mixtape up for playing in the car, cause it was the bomb, but it was one long continuous bomb, so I spent aages chopping it up like it was my own.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    well if the disc is 80 minutes then the moral of the story is that the mix is TOO long and that's why peeps are skipping.

if its under an hour i think thats fine..skiping around in a mix doesnt make any sense to me... where do you cut before or after the blend? if its before then you have to hear the trail of the previous song and if its after then you lop off the begining... thus it makes no sense to cut the damn thing up.

• Yesterday....

• well if the disc is 80 minutes then the moral of the story is that the mix is TOO long and that's why peeps are skipping.

if its under an hour i think thats fine..skiping around in a mix doesnt make any sense to me... where do you cut before or after the blend? if its before then you have to hear the trail of the previous song and if its after then you lop off the begining... thus it makes no sense to cut the damn thing up.

i generally put the track id right before the next mix starts. for an example if i had a beat and an acapella mixing into a a different beat and a different acapella, i would put the id before the 2nd acapella started and as close to the start of the 2nd beat as possible. if its 2 songs with a long drawn out mix i would put the id somewhere in between. depends on what the mix calls for.

i have gotten into the habit of making copies of cds i get just to keep in my truck. if i do happen across a really good mix that is one track i will even go so far as to put my own track id's on the dub.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    i also hate it when people use labels on cd-rs, either use a marker or get it screened/printed on plaese.

guilty as charged