New Hampshire Race Watching

13»

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    And if he does, which way will he encourage his supporters to go? I think they would naturally drift towards Sen. Obama.

I agree, and it's why I'm hoping that Edwards makes an early exit.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    And if he does, which way will he encourage his supporters to go? I think they would naturally drift towards Sen. Obama.

When I was watching CSPAN on Tuesday, some guy called in and asked when is the media going to realize that John Edwards is running against Hillary, not for president. He suspected that Edwards is angling to become the next VP (unlikely, since he proved in the last election that no help to Dems in red states) or Attorney General (more likely).

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

When I was watching CSPAN on Tuesday, some guy called in and asked when is the media going to realize that John Edwards is running against Hillary, not for president. He suspected that Edwards is angling to become the next VP (unlikely, since he proved in the last election that no help to Dems in red states) or Attorney General (more likely).

Edwards confuses the hell out of me. He is running with progressive ideas that one might expect to go over well with the Democratic base. He was upfront early with many of his economic and health care ideas, and Obama and Hillary both have used him as a spring board throughout their campaign to test the waters before explaining their stance. In short, he has very much put his fingerprint on this election already.

Yet, I totally agree with the perception that he is running his campaign against the others and not for president. Hillary's win in NH was probably a bigger loss for him than for Obama. He just comes across as a hanger on right now.

I think I would prefer if he followed in Al Gore's footsteps. Have a core idea you support (which in Edward's case seems to be poverty) and try to tackle it outside the political arena. Something about him seems disingenuous, and I think if he stepped outside of politics I would probably respect him more.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My impression of Edwards supports is that they are old guard union dems. I think many of them would go to Hillary as she better represents that old guard. If I'm wrong and they are anyone but Hillary people then they would go for Obama.

Edwards as AG would send business interests into a frenzy. I don't see it ever happening. An AG whos first priority is consumer protection just aint gonna happen.

It's sad that Richardson did so poorly, and has now left the race. I think he was the most qualified in terms of resume. For some reason he ran a terrible campaign and never connected with any one. If he had any kind of following I would want him as a vp. He could still be Secretary of State.