Cleaning Records

pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
What are you using to get the grooves of your records all bright and shiny?So I lost that stupid little brush that comes with the groovy cleaner bags unlimited makes that seems to be the standard. A simple piece of cloth or old T-shirt won't do the trick here, I need some scrub action ideas here people.

Comments

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    a soft toothbrush

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I've done that one in the past but worry it's gonna ruin records. Any other ideas?

• If you have 1000s of records of which some are worth hundreds of dollars there's really no excuse not to buy some sort of vacuum or ultrasonic machine.

Yeah I know the VPI and Nitty Gritty are but damn that's a arm and a leg. If I owned a store I wouldn't even hesitate to buy one. What's the hot shit as far as ultrasonic cleaners?

• Search around Waxidermy, that dude "Hammertime" put together one a while back. Also I believe "Sabadabada" uses this as well as "CoffinJoe".

I know it's expensive but isn't it worth $500 to protect a hundred-thousand dollar investment??

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    http://www.balkowitsch.com/productinfo.php?pid=166

The company was good, nice reps. They said they sell a bunch to record collectors, so they know the deal. This is the right size, you dont need it to be 12" across because the entire LP never sits in the tank up to the spindle hole so it only needs to be like 11". But I dont remember paying that much, I thought I paid about $225 or something. I liked the knobs, but you can get digital too. The real bitch is building something to hold the records in the tank. In order for the final tracks to really get a good cleaning, it has to stay in for a while. The sonic waves are directed to a focal point about in the center of the tank, so things at the surface dont get as good a cleaning.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    The real bitch is building something to hold the records in the tank.

I havent seen one of these in action, but couldnt you rig something like bent coat hangar in a 'U' shape to solve this?

I went with Tinker Toys, which I cant take credit for, but somebody on the strut mentioned someone else had built something using tinker toys. Eventually I would like to build something a little sturdier and with a motor, but my apartment is small and I have to break the set-up down after each use.

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger/5589/2958/1600/702299/Ultrasonic1.jpg

i dont knolw why that image wont post.

Just searched ebay for "Ultrasonic Cleaner" and there seems to be some around the $200-300 mark that would do the job.

• I went with Tinker Toys, which I cant take credit for, but somebody on the strut mentioned someone else had built something using tinker toys. Eventually I would like to build something a little sturdier and with a motor, but my apartment is small and I have to break the set-up down after each use.

Is that a Kerry sticker I see on your fridge?

I went with Tinker Toys, which I cant take credit for, but somebody on the strut mentioned someone else had built something using tinker toys. Eventually I would like to build something a little sturdier and with a motor, but my apartment is small and I have to break the set-up down after each use.

Is that a Kerry sticker I see on your fridge?

that has already been discussed and, as I said earlier, it was only for entertainment purposes.

Didn't Frank build some motorized Ultrasonic cleaner?

• Count me as a recent washing machine convert. For a few years I've really had no excuse to not have one.

So over the holidays I bought a used VPI 16 and upgraded it to 16.5. Total damage = around $300. Way, way worth it.

It made me realized a lot of visually VG or VG+ records I have play like crap mainly because of grit deep down in the grooves... especially latin and jamaican records I found at flea markets.

Plus it's satisfying to slip a freshly-cleaned record in a rice paper sleeve and know it won't be sliding around in grime ever again.

I don't think any other cleaning method can get close. Forget that little felt hot dog thing and brushes.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I'm getting this one next month:

Expensive, but I'm getting a good deal.
    It's my first cleaner.. so know idea how it compares to others..

• My only complaint about the VPI is it's noisy.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    I bought this disco antistat last year,
    it works fine I paid ca 30 Euros for this

• Just searched ebay for "Ultrasonic Cleaner" and there seems to be some around the $200-300 mark that would do the job.

I found an ultasonic cleaner at a flea market a couple months ago...there was some masking tape on it that said "gun parts cleaner"

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Problem with the Ultrasonic is that it's very time consuming, and even when you pull the record out of the bath, its still picking up the dirt and whatever else was in there when you cleaned it of, and dries with that shit back on the record. Nothing beats a vacuumin'

• Here's a question for the shop owners out there. Is it required to let the customer know that the record was cleaned? And does it affect your price?

Anybody got a link to the make your own record cleaning fluid?

formula 409 and water.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    So this was something new I never noticed before...

I was trying to clean an old Latin LP that visually looked NM but played VG - tons of light crackle.

I ran it through the VPI...twice but it didn't seem to help much.

But when I was playing it, I was back-cueing over a particular noisy portion and the more I cued back and forth, the quieter it got. And then I realized: the stylus seemed to be cleaning out the bits of grime that had been causing the crackles - apparently, they were so dug in, even a vacuum cleaning wasn't getting them out.

I actually tried cleaning it twice again, both times, letting the cleaning solution soak in longer, but it still didn't work as well as simply back-cueing until the noise disappeared.

Obviously, this isn't a terribly efficient way to clean a record and I might also be causing damage by all that cueing.

My question: what else can I do to get this dirt out besides cue-cleaning every second of it?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Harsher chemicals.

I occasionally use this:

it's made for vinyl car interior. Safe for PVC. You'd be amazed what it picks up after 10-20 seconds. Let sit, wipe with a towel, clean with copious amounts of water/solution and vacuum. It's been for the African stuff I've been getting.

Even then, I still use the method you mentioned occasionally for really tough spots.

Harsher chemicals.

I occasionally use this:

it's made for vinyl car interior. Safe for PVC. You'd be amazed what it picks up after 10-20 seconds. Let sit, wipe with a towel, clean with copious amounts of water/solution and vacuum. It's been for the African stuff I've been getting.

Even then, I still use the method you mentioned occasionally for really tough spots.

Indeed, I have seen the one DJ Diggy Doc Delay foam-cleaning an LP at the store. Looked scary yet effective. I might try this on the b-side, just to see how well it works.

• i posted this one before, butthis is what a
    cleaning machine does. basically you can use a vacuum cleaner with microfleece, iso-a?lcohol mixed with water & palmolive and an old turntable, the rest is comfort and less noise.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    My question: what else can I do to get this dirt out besides cue-cleaning every second of it?

The glue trick perhaps?

Just tried it for the first time yesterday on a looks-fine-plays-like-sizzling-bacon non-raer 45 yesterday. Very easy process, just takes the time that it takes for the glue to dry.

45 came out squeaky clean. Still plays somewhat sizzly, but I think it might be due to groovewear, in which case nothing will help. I'll try it on another specimen soon.

Apparently, a lot of audiophile type dudes swear by this method:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99837

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I've done the wood glue and the Elmer's All Glue and they both work great but the wood glue is just HELL to get off.

Wood glue method came to mind but again - if this is stuff that repeated soaks and VPI cleaning won't get out, I'm not convinced glue is going to do the trick either. I think the glue works if you *don't* have a vacuum cleaning system. But if we're talking shit that has to be dug out via stylus, I'm thinking you need something with greater dissolving power on the front end.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Here's a question for the shop owners out there. Is it required to let the customer know that the record was cleaned? And does it affect your price?

I don't think so. If I buy a collection I don't necessarily know what's been done to the records, I just know what condition they're in when I get them so I can't vouch for their prior treatment anyway.

There's no reason to hide it, though. Most people would be glad to know, though there's always the obsessives that freak out about what solution you use etc.

If a cleaning takes a dirty record that plays noisily and makes it into a shiny record that plays great, hell yeah I'm charging more - that's why I have that shit. Sometimes I put a fair amount of time, effort and resources cleaning and dewarping a record so of course I expect something in return.