windy city strut, (help a tourist related)

Guantanamo_JonesGuantanamo_Jones 177 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I will be in chi next weekend and I will have most of friday to wander around and buy some wax. are there any places that I should look out for other than the obvious (dusty, Jazz Record Mart, Reckless etc).

Comments

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    beverlys
    kstarke
    mr. peabodys

for beverlys and peabodys, you're talking about a trek unless yr staying on either the far south side

• I will be staying in pilsen off the 54/cermak

how far are those spots from there?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pretty far south

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=beverly's,&near=Chicago,+IL&fb=1&ll=41.815338,-87.445679&spn=0.461599,1.2854&z=10&iwloc=A&om=1
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...mp;near=Chicago,+IL&ie=UTF8&ll=41.883876,-87.632446&spn=0.461105,1.2854&z=10&iwloc=A&om=1

kstarke is further north on western ave
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...mp;near=Chicago,+IL&ie=UTF8&ll=41.91122,-87.63279&spn=0.057614,0.160675&z=13&iwloc=A&om=1
    but its less of a digging spot and more just a good spot for dance & soul....the owner is a good guy, funny

there's also out of the past, if yr into house music at all
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...mp;near=Chicago,+IL&ie=UTF8&ll=41.904066,-87.635193&spn=0.115241,0.32135&z=12&iwloc=A&om=1

thats west on madison by pulaski. i wouldnt go wandering in that neighborhood tho as an out-of-towner unless yr with someone who knows it.
    Sawed-off and I'm happy, or where the crack be
    Put it right off on Pulaski

edit: i guess you'll have to copy+paste those links

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Hyde Park Records

www.hydeparkrecords.net

I live in Pilsen, if you're in the neighborhood, shoot me an email... [email]meatyogre1@aol.com[/email] and I can help you out getting down there.

-Andrew

pretty far south

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=beverly's,&near=Chicago,+IL&fb=1&ll=41.815338,-87.445679&spn=0.461599,1.2854&z=10&iwloc=A&om=1
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...mp;near=Chicago,+IL&ie=UTF8&ll=41.883876,-87.632446&spn=0.461105,1.2854&z=10&iwloc=A&om=1

kstarke is further north on western ave
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...mp;near=Chicago,+IL&ie=UTF8&ll=41.91122,-87.63279&spn=0.057614,0.160675&z=13&iwloc=A&om=1
    but its less of a digging spot and more just a good spot for dance & soul....the owner is a good guy, funny

there's also out of the past, if yr into house music at all
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...mp;near=Chicago,+IL&ie=UTF8&ll=41.904066,-87.635193&spn=0.115241,0.32135&z=12&iwloc=A&om=1

thats west on madison by pulaski. i wouldnt go wandering in that neighborhood tho as an out-of-towner unless yr with someone who knows it.
    Sawed-off and I'm happy, or where the crack be
    Put it right off on Pulaski

edit: i guess you'll have to copy+paste those links

Dude, Out of the Past for house music???? Have you ever even been in there? You might find scattered crusty DJ International 12s, but theres a lot better places in the city to find house 12s.

And KStarke ain't got shit on HPR for soul,jazz,funk, etc. You need to come in some time Deej, and you'd be crossing alot of these other spots off your list.

Beverly is only worth a damn if you collect 45s... and Peabodys is cool, but expect to drop some serious overpriced coin.

As long as you're in Pilsen, check out Revolver records as well, run by my boy Marlon, who's one of the coolest cats around.. on 18th st. across from Nuevo Leon.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dude, Out of the Past for house music???? Have you ever even been in there? You might find scattered crusty DJ International 12s, but theres a lot better places in the city to find house 12s.
    i havent, i just heard it was good for house shit! where is better???

keep in mind as ive said before im not a collector, i was just naming places record dudes ive met namedrop

i havent, i just heard it was good for house shit! where is better???

keep in mind as ive said before im not a collector, i was just naming places record dudes ive met namedrop

Saying go to Out of the Past for House Music is like saying check out Dusty Groove for their folk music.

Out of the past is full of 1000s of dirty soul 45s and lps and cassettes... you'd be hard pressed to find much house there at all.

For House you gotta go to Hyde Park Records,Kstarke,Peabodys,Hot Jams,Daves.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There's also that record store that recently relocated to the South Loop area, on State Street a block north of Cermak, and the Reckless Records in the Loop on Madison, I think, just east of Wabash.

There's also that record store that recently relocated to the South Loop area, on State Street a block north of Cermak, and the Reckless Records in the Loop on Madison, I think, just east of Wabash.

Record Breakers on State is highly unreccomendable... haven't been to the new Reckless, but I can't imagine it being too great, and its a pain in the ass to get to unless you're on foot and already downtown.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I still haven't made it to Recordbreakers. Reckless is OK -- decent amount of new releases and fair prices on common records. Not a huge selection.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Reckless is OK -- decent amount of new releases and fair prices on common records. Not a huge selection.

Of the three Reckless locations, I'd say the one downtown on Madison is the least distinguished (although I did luck out there recently when I found an LP by Jackie Opal, Jamaican soul man, for $5.99 or so).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Record Breakers on State is highly unreccomendable
    definitely cosign this. UGH!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Daves.
    speaking of overpriced...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Daves.
    srsly.

I've always enjoyed hot jams when dre was there. He would freak out on some disco.

Peabody's isn't bad, but it is way out there for sure.

Gramaphone...haha, j/k.

Good Luck!!

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    Daves.
    srsly.

I've always enjoyed hot jams when dre was there. He would freak out on some disco.

Peabody's isn't bad, but it is way out there for sure.

Gramaphone...haha, j/k.

Good Luck!!

its been awhile since i've been to the 'go but has gramaphone fell off? when i was there that was thee spot for house records and disco classics...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    man i definitely fuck with gramaphone, staff is great and its easy to find some random disco reissue 12" but again im not a collector and it seems like if yr digging or something that wouldn't be the best place to go

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    pretty far south
    the only one I've been to out of the few deej mentioned is Hyde Park Records, and if I recall, it was about two or three blocks off a Metra stop, so it wasn't that hard to get to if you can catch one of the trains. The shop is def. worth the trip.

pretty far south
    the only one I've been to out of the few deej mentioned is Hyde Park Records, and if I recall, it was about two or three blocks off a
    Metra stop, so it wasn't that hard to get to if you can catch one of the trains. The shop is def. worth the trip.

Deej didn't mention it cuz he's sleeeepin on us... I did.

Who was working when you came in Jim?

We get a very steady stream of quality jazz, soul and funk lps coming in... most people in Chicago that collect this stuff snooze on us for some reason, most likely cuz its not the easiest place in the city to get to by public transit. We do get hit pretty hard from overseas dealers though, so depending on when you're there, the pickins can get a little slim. If you're just starting out with soul and jazz, we should definitly be your first stop in Chicago.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I'm not sure who was behind the counter. It was around Thanksgiving of '06, I bought a clean copy of "Victim of the Joke?" that was missing the front gatefold flap thing for cheap, some modern soul dollar bin jernts and some random rap. I didn't really have enough time to go through all that I wanted to-- I had to get to a dinner or some bullschitt. If I'm ever back in Chicago, I'll be sure to hit your store again, it was definitely the better of the three shops I got a chance to get to.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

K-Starke is one of the nicest people you ever wanna meet, but something about that spur-of-the-moment eBay pricing is just WRONG, as if Rich Rosen got transplanted to Chitown or something. Please price them records before you put them out on the floor so we'll know what to expect, damn! Don't just wait till somebody asks about 'em...

• The replies in this thread should tell you all you need to know about the state of record affairs in Chicago.
    NOTHING DOING.

The replies in this thread should tell you all you need to know about the state of record affairs in Chicago.
    NOTHING DOING.

Things are pretty abysmal in comparison to most places, but you can still ride the wave of the VG northern soul 45 here to good measure.

• i heart chicago

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Daves.

Dave's used to be a fair place to look for certain genres - like funk commons for half of the going rate, six or seven years ago - but it's been thin for years. You know the spot - some of their high-priced (real world value: $20) Jazz titles have been on the wall for 3 or 4 years. They haven't gotten ANY new 45s in the store for over a year. I'm not at all kidding or trying to divert folks. My guess is that the incoming stuff all gets thrown up on the Bay to keep the overpriced brick-and-mortar afloat. That, or the staff has sticky fingers. The owner can be a real anti-social jerk sometimes, too.

The Clark corridor might have been a pretty good place to find filler records - I suppose - a decade ago.

Reckless records is a great store - the best in Chicago, really - to find used CDs. If you're fine with the format, it's a very nice place to look. It's a good White music store - the movie version of HIgh Fidelity was veritably based on it. Rock vinyl is okay there, but the staff only works there to skim off the top.

This is a great city for records, but it's also a city with an large and well-established community of collectors that canvasses the city daily for gems - including from behind and under the counters before things ever get out to the public. But I suppose that it's the same story in every big city.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    pretty far south
    the only one I've been to out of the few deej mentioned is Hyde Park Records, and if I recall, it was about two or three blocks off a
    Metra stop, so it wasn't that hard to get to if you can catch one of the trains. The shop is def. worth the trip.

Deej didn't mention it cuz he's sleeeepin on us... I did.

Who was working when you came in Jim?

We get a very steady stream of quality jazz, soul and funk lps coming in... most people in Chicago that collect this stuff snooze on us for some reason, most likely cuz its not the easiest place in the city to get to by public transit. We do get hit pretty hard from overseas dealers though, so depending on when you're there, the pickins can get a little slim. If you're just starting out with soul and jazz, we should definitly be your first stop in Chicago.

Haven't been to your store yet, but im looking forward to it.

And about Grammophone. I certainly agree the staff is nice, but it seemed to go south the past few years. Everytime I go in there I have stacks and stacks, and leave with two records. Maybe my taste has changed? But I'm not feeling them so much. Plus new house music=boring. Thats a whole nother topic.

Anyways good luck searching, and you best post em And, hopefully its not as cold as last week was!