Sesame Street Appreciation

covecove 1,566 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Just d/l some shit from the early 70's (before my time) and it's awesome.

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Just d/l some shit from the early 70's (before my time) and it's awesome.

funny thing is pretty much anybody that grew up before the mid-90s was probably exposed to most of the early 70s stuff...they kept a lot of it in rotation FOREVER. i still have fond memories of the pinball countdown song...one of the coolest things EVER on sesame street. got the video clip on my myspace.

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    i love this record

Photobucket

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    i still have fond memories of the pinball countdown song...one of the coolest things EVER on sesame street.

Yeah ... they don't make 'em like this anymore:

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Remember this funk monster at the end credits?

That PBS bit is dope too.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Some more heat, damn that show was funky...

We had it good as children.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i love this record

Photobucket

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I love Sesame Street. It was pretty much the only TV I watched up until 1st grade.

BUT

Fuck Elmo for ruining the show. He was always the least funny character. Oscar needs to beat him with a trash can or something.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

They were still playing the funk end credits as late as 2006?? (Check the copyright at the end. And by now, Kermit's become so international that he appears courtesy of somebody else!!)

They were still playing the funk end credits as late as 2006?? (Check the copyright at the end. And by now, Kermit's become so international that he appears courtesy of somebody else!!)

this might be from the recently-released DVD series...i caught that too.

Some more heat, damn that show was funky...

that count shit is super funky, and that second video sums up everything i ever want to make in my life.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    i like the us sesame street.

but i ride for Paul Haenen en Wim T. Schipper baby. (Dutch bert n ernie)
    b/w Ik wist niet dat je kwaad werd ?

• i still have fond memories of the pinball countdown song...one of the coolest things EVER on sesame street. got the video clip on my myspace.
    Ninjatune released a 12" DJ Food edit of the pinball song ..
    love that cut

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The DVD isnt an episode by episode record but a "greatest hits" comp which is kinda

Maria was my first TV crush.

70's Children TV was

I need that when David Sings record

The DVD isnt an episode by episode record but a "greatest hits" comp which is kinda

Since Sesame Street always repeats segments from episode to episode, a greatest-hits treatment might be the best way to do it.

Since Sesame Street always repeats segments from episode to episode, a greatest-hits treatment might be the best way to do it.

ive mentioned this on here before, but i always thought it would be cool to either run a show on tv or release a DVD of JUST the inbetween segments, such as the pinball countdown, you know, the stuff inbetween all the actual "sesame street" parts of the show. i never cared about what mr. hooper was up to, i just wanted the funky animations!!

i love this record

Photobucket

why were there two Roosevelt Franklin records? i have the other one, but apparently this one is better. still havent heard it.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    German intro version, with udo lindenberg of niagara fame on the drums...

Your right BUT dont the episodes have Numbers attached to them?

Plaese to give me chronologically order....

They do, but I'm just sayin', do you want the repetition of the same things from show to show, paying $50 to see the same segments over and over? That'd be like watching the SNL box sets in chronological order and seeing the same Billy Preston musical performance or the same identical Mr. Bill featurette show up all the time.

Although it probably would be good to have the first episode intact, just for reference.

They do, but I'm just sayin', do you want the repetition of the same things from show to show, paying $50 to see the same segments over and over? That'd be like watching the SNL box sets in chronological order and seeing the same Billy Preston musical performance or the same identical Mr. Bill featurette show up all the time.

Although it probably would be good to have the first episode intact, just for reference.

Your right. I bet it was hard for the editors to pick from the catalog knowing that many of the segments are repeated.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    sadly the DVDs that were released come with a Parental Guidance warning stating something to the effect of "intended for adult viewing, and children should be accompanied while viewing".

Can you believe that?

Your right. I bet it was hard for the editors to pick from the catalog knowing that many of the segments are repeated.

on the early episodes many of the same segments are repeated within a single episode. on the proposal movie they made when pitching sesame street (its included in the bonus features) they mention that many of the segments would be repeated multiple times in an episode to get points across more clearly. also, if there was a complete set of episodes, it would be something like 50 discs per season probably. they made A LOTTTT of episodes.

sadly the DVDs that were released come with a Parental Guidance warning stating something to the effect of "intended for adult viewing, and children should be accompanied while viewing".

Can you believe that?

i thought that was funny. times have changed!

has anybody watched those looney tunes dvds that start out with the whoopi goldberg disclaimer telling you there might be some racist themes in the cartoons? its really funny to me how so much formerly childrens programming is deemed completely inappropriate at this point...yet a lot of things that would never make it onto even prime-time tv back then are commonplace now.

Can you believe that?

Well, there's a reason why the show kept dropping or updating segments through the years - people die, or people change physically. I understand that's why they quit showing Bill Cosby's segments in the eighties, because he no longer looked the way he did when he taped them in the seventies and it would have been confusing to a four-year-old who has a dim concept of "then" and "now." I'm sure there are other more significant reasons, but I'll bet that probably plays a part. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a kid right now watching those first eps and wondering why Oscar the Grouch is orange instead of green.

You know, considering the rep he had, I'm surprised they let RICHARD PRYOR on the show...it was pre-freebase, but he was still considered raunchy at the time...

Can you believe that?

Well, there's a reason why the show kept dropping or updating segments through the years - people die, or people change physically. I understand that's why they quit showing Bill Cosby's segments in the eighties, because he no longer looked the way he did when he taped them in the seventies and it would have been confusing to a four-year-old who has a dim concept of "then" and "now." I'm sure there are other more significant reasons, but I'll bet that probably plays a part. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a kid right now watching those first eps and wondering why Oscar the Grouch is orange instead of green.

i never thought of that aspect of it. i just figured it was because of the actual content. some of the stuff on the original episodes is kinda creepy, and also they show some kids doing some pretty dangerous stuff! seems like i remember one segment that featured kids messing around at a construction site....

Can you believe that?

i never thought of that aspect of it. i just figured it was because of the actual content. some of the stuff on the original episodes is kinda creepy, and also they show some kids doing some pretty dangerous stuff! seems like i remember one segment that featured kids messing around at a construction site....

You know, when I was a kid, the show often stressed imagination and making believe...in these cynical times when such behavior, used the wrong way, could brand you as crazy, I wouldn't be surprised if they downplayed that.

This is why they decided to make Mr. Snuffleupagus real, because if a kid saw something tragic and their parents didn't believe them, they didn't want to trace it back to Big Bird having this imaginary friend named Snuffleupagus that no one saw but him.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    German intro version, with udo lindenberg of niagara fame on the drums...

jesus ph** this stuff brings back memories.
    used to watch this before cable tv. we could get ARD, ZDF und WDR if weather was good. Heil mein flach land und TV spritze.
    but where are Samson und Tiffi ?

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts

Can you believe that?

You know, when I was a kid, the show often stressed imagination and making believe...in these cynical times when such behavior, used the wrong way, could brand you as crazy, I wouldn't be surprised if they downplayed that.

This is why they decided to make Mr. Snuffleupagus real, because if a kid saw something tragic and their parents didn't believe them, they didn't want to trace it back to Big Bird having this imaginary friend named Snuffleupagus that no one saw but him.

i read something where they felt parental guidelines today are different from 1969-74 so a warning should be issued w/ the DVD for new age parents out of the loop.

Some of that animation and ideas were super psychedelic.

"Sesame Street lead to my drug use."

• who is doing the voice in the clip where the kid gets lost?

btw if you want to check out the roosevelt franklin lp it can be copped here:
    http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2006/09/my-name-is-roosevelt-franklin.html