THE ONLY RAPPER WORTH A DAMN(?)

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxdMjC2BTwcSERIOUSLY, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THIS GUY???[/b]

Comments

• your version is missing the international/parody section at the end.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I want to do a record with this man, I'm serious.

• autoauto 198 Posts

• autoauto 198 Posts

• Stumbled across this after checking out Dr. Geek.

• Serioulsy (and I mean this...)

I'd love to see a sociological timeline of rap appearances in advertising, and see where this fits in that timeline. It could be one of the earlier, and frankly, most lasting examples of rap in advertising that ever went down.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Serioulsy (and I mean this...)

I'd love to see a sociological timeline of rap appearances in advertising, and see where this fits in that timeline. It could be one of the earlier, and frankly, most lasting examples of rap in advertising that ever went down.

I don't know about earlier...Kurtis Blow was peddling Sprite way back in 1986 ("now, more than ever, it's SPRIIIIIITE!"). And there was a rap commercial for Bubble Yum in 1981, featuring an interracial bunch of kids dancing in a recording studio while rhyming about the bubblegum brand. Both of these predated the Blublocker Hiphopper.

• Stumbled across this after checking out Dr. Geek.

Holy crap! I have one of those! I'm serious too, back in 1985 I lived in Cincinnati and had a paper route for one of those little local township newspapers. They had some contest where the people who collected the most subscription payments on their paper route got entered into a contest, and I actually won a music vest as a prize. I guess it was pretty cool, for an 11-year-old, but I don't imagine any adults ever wore the thing and actually thought they were cool. It was 1985 though, which was the same year "Back To The Future" was released, so futuristic stuff like this was kind of hip at the time.

At the time I was a student at a Catholic school and I remember wearing that thing to school once or twice in a silly attempt to be "hip" or whatever. It was kind of amusing walking down the hallway having music playing, though. Of course, back then we didn't have MP3 players, so instead I had a Walkman hooked up to the thing. All the vest really was was a tiny 3-inch pair of speakers stuck up in the chest/shoulder area of the vest, and then wires for the speakers running to the back of the vest where they met and there was a 1/8" plug that plugged into the headphone jack of a walkman. There was a huge zipper down the inside of the back of the vest where you stuck the Walkman, which was really impractical.

I still have the vest but the speakers aren't in it anymore. I took those out long ago to use by themselves with my Walkmans back in the late 80's. Here's a pic of the vest I just took real fast with my cellphone:

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

Holy crap! I have one of those! I'm serious too, back in 1985 I lived in Cincinnati and had a paper route for one of those little local township newspapers. with my Walkmans back in the late 80's. Here's a pic of the vest I just took real fast with my cellphone:

dude, this is so awesome! you must have been pretty stoked

when i was a kid, my brother entered me in some mall contest. i won a comic book, some candy, a backscratcher, and a bubble yum t-shirt that had a bunch of LED lights in it that was powered with a 9-volt battery that fit inside.

• SELL ME THAT VEST!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    When I was a kid my sister won an inflatable boat from Frito-Lay. I guess they had some drawing in the grocery store or something. It was yellow and said frito lay. We pumped it up, and paddle out to the middle of a lake. It popped somehow and then sank. We swam back with it while it was sinking.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I would have sold my kid brother for that vest.

awwww man i would have ruled the school...

When I was a kid my sister won an inflatable boat from Frito-Lay. I guess they had some drawing in the grocery store or something. It was yellow and said frito lay. We pumped it up, and paddle out to the middle of a lake. It popped somehow and then sank. We swam back with it while it was sinking.

I like the way this thread is going...

Me and a friend Shane stole his next door neighbors' paddleboat and took it out in the middle of an eel infested quarry, we started rocking it back and forward and it sank, we paddled back with eels slithering all around our legs and then got a hiding for sinking the boat.

It was worth it because it impressed Joanne Bosman and she let me feel her tits (under the shirt over the bra).

But then she gave me herpes.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I would have sold my kid brother for that vest.

awwww man i would have ruled the school...

I like the way this thread is going...

Me and a friend Shane stole his next door neighbors' paddleboat and took it out in the middle of an eel infested quarry, we started rocking it back and forward and it sank, we paddled back with eels slithering all around our legs and then got a hiding for sinking the boat.

It was worth it because it impressed Joanne Bosman and she let me feel her tits (under the shirt over the bra).

But then she gave me herpes.

Yep, this thread is turning in to gold real quick!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    One time me and Shane went to a big site where they were building a new subdivision, they had just laid the drainage pipes and some were so big you could crawl around in them.

We started mucking around throwing dirt and shit and a group of Maori kids came down and we had a 'war'. We went back to this one kids house and his uncles were all smoking weed, they got us stoned and we saw this one girl flash her boobs.

That day was wicked.