The Rocker RIP

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
22 years ago today...we lost Phil...gonna put on some Thin Lizzy on in the shop rat now..

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    One of the highlights of that overrated Once movie was seeing a band playing in the streets of Dublin in front of a statue of Phil Lynott. When that guy Glen Hansard from the Frames asks if they could back him up on a project, one of them sez: "Do you sound like Thin Lizzy?"

Of course, Glen sounded nothing like Thin Lizzy, but then neither did that band. But I dug the sentiment.

A good Lizzy-related record not to be slept on: Phil Lynott's Solo In Soho elpee.

Shit, I think I'll buy a copy of "Cowboy Song" off of iTunes...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    "Romeo and the Lonely Girl" and "Massacre"...2 of my favorites.

• the single "rocker" and the LP "Fighting" are my two faves...

Well, I bought Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" from iTunes, and I am now listening to the thing for the second time in a row, that's how much I love this tune...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I fully endorse this thread. Rock on, Phill!

• Well, I bought Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" from iTunes, and I am now listening to the thing for the second time in a row, that's how much I love this tune...

when the weather warms up and its time for drinking beer outside, I cant get enough of Lizzy's cover of Seger's "Rosalie"...to me its the ultimate spring day, hanging out song, I WEAR that song out...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There was NOTHING like driving for 2+ days through the desolate Canadian Rockies, from Edmondon to Vancouver, through Banff and everything, with nothing but the first TL album on the deck. It was really a magical and fitting soundscape for the journey.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    There was NOTHING like driving for 2+ days through the desolate Canadian Rockies, from Edmondon to Vancouver, through Banff and everything, with nothing but the first TL album on the deck. It was really a magical and fitting soundscape for the journey.

two things...

a) where indeed was that shot taken EXACTLY as i must go there.

b) for someone who really likes the track JAILBREAK (ya i know... limited Think Lizzy knowledge but whatever) for its performance as well as the amazing production job, what LP should i start with to get some more good music by the band?

many thanks....

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Well, I bought Thin Lizzy's "Cowboy Song" from iTunes, and I am now listening to the thing for the second time in a row, that's how much I love this tune...

Yes, Cowboy song is my all-time favorite of theirs.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Thin Lizzy will be played tonight and a toast to Phil will be made.

My favorite rock singer of all-time.....his phrasing was an art in itself.

And while I realize I have preached this ad nauseum.....get the first 2 Thin Lizzy LP's before writing them off as a "Boys Are Back In Town" FM rock band.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

b) for someone who really likes the track JAILBREAK (ya i know... limited Think Lizzy knowledge but whatever) for its performance as well as the amazing production job, what LP should i start with to get some more good music by the band?

You've got a lot of options. This would be my pick:

And while I realize I have preached this ad nauseum.....get the first 2 Thin Lizzy LP's before writing them off as a "Boys Are Back In Town" FM rock band.

I never thought "The Boys Are Back..." was anything to be ashamed of.

• HamHam 872 Posts

definately not.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Agreed.....but the less informed may think this is the stereotypical Thin Lizzy sound.....and it's not.

My favorite example of this is Country Joe & The Fish......

More than once I have played them for folks who, when told who it is, say, "Oh the Gimme an "F" guys"......and they are shocked the band was anything more than a Woodstockian novelty act.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

Agreed.....but the less informed may think this is the stereotypical Thin Lizzy sound.....and it's not.

Either that or the Timmy dig-a-lots who are like "yeah, Thin Lizzy, that's that joint with the drum break"

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Yes, Emerald is my all-time favorite of theirs.

What a band, great songs, great playing, and a great voice. Much love to Mr. Lynott.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    love them and only got into them last year. one of my pleasures is listening to whiskey in a jar in my mp3 player when its freezing outside and the snow hasn't been shovelled and i got to walk to work, its a song you listen to on a journey

• RIP Phil!
    I'll be rocking a "thick slice" of Thin Lizzy today in the form of "Bad Reputation".

• I love a whole lotta Lizzy, but i think this one might take the cake. hold on to your shorts if you haven't heard it, or even if you haven't heard it in a while. I'M A ROCKER!! I'M ROLLER TOO, HONEY!

DivShare File - The Rocker.mp3
    p.s. i like solo in soho too, and the midge ure produced yellow pearl 12", you brits may remember that one from TOTP

• I've been aware of Thin Lizzy for a long time just because AOR radio has always played the shit out of "Jailbreak" and to a lesser degree "The Boys Are Back In Town", but it wasn't until the past couple years that I really got into the band. I guess it all started back when Metallica covered "Whiskey In The Jar" and I sought out the Thin Lizzy original. From there I got a copy of the _Jailbreak_ album and naturally fell in love with "Cowboy Song". Then in 2006 they put this out:

I got that and really started getting into the rest of the Thin Lizzy catalog and now I'm a pretty big fan of the group. I've always been a sucker for the twin guitar attack and Thin Lizzy has that in spades. Also a sucker for the understated funk feel of "Dancing In The Moonlight". My favorite video though? Gotta be this one, I love the song and the video makes me crack up.

RIP Phil, thanks for all the music!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    22 years ago today...we lost Phil...gonna put on some Thin Lizzy on in the shop rat now..

God, is it really that long ago? I saw them in Liverpool on the same tour that they recorded the Live and Dangerous album. Reader, they really were that good. RIP.

• God, is it really that long ago? I saw them in Liverpool on the same tour that they recorded the Live and Dangerous album. Reader, they really were that good. RIP.

'Live And Dangerous' is a great album but they apparently did a ton of overdubs on it to make it sound that good. Of course, you'd be hard-pressed to find many classic live albums that aren't touched up in the studio to some degree. I've got bootlegs of Thin Lizzy playing live though and they were still pretty damned good, it's just that 'Live And Dangerous' is absolutely impeccable. My absolute favorite track from it; the guitars still give me goosebumps and I love the segue into "Cowboy Song":