bay strutters...(weather related)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
anything crazy happen to anyone?Today is garbage day in south city and there are garbage cans all over the place, tipping over, spilling shit. A bunch of plants in my backyard split in half. I had no power for awhile. You realize very quickly that almost everything requires electricity these days. The weather in the bay is generally so mild that I think we're spoiled. This type of weather is probably a light drizzle for some places.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's like hurricane conditions up here in the north bay.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    It's not so terrible here in Oakland (like I say--it's always nicer in Oakland!), but it's definitely ugly. I'm supposed to DJ at Madrone tonight, but I'm sort of wondering if it's gonna be worth it, especially considering I'm just now getting over a cold I'd rather not have to deal with all over again.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    How big does a puddle have to be before it's not a puddle anymore? I noticed a few road-ponds on the way to work.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    through the night i kept waking up from the sound of objects pelting my building. the morning news kinda freaked me out because they kept talking about 70mph winds, trees falling from the combination of wind & oversaturated grounds and accidents. when i left my house, i didn't think it seemed that bad. then out of nowhere these powerful gusts of wind almost shoved me into some dudes on the sidewalk. one of them was like "DAMN! that was the hardest wind ever!" i laughed. i wish people would smarten up and not even bother with an umbrella. shit is dangerous

• shit's flying all over the place down here in the South Bay. our fence and shed door just got knocked down.

• i bet there will be quite a few road ponds today.

Looking out my window right now, shit is pretty wild. Lots of rain and huge gusts of wind.

i think inclement weather is kind of exciting though since weather in the bay is usually mild. i hope there is thunder and lightning at some point during this system

i wish people would smarten up and not even bother with an umbrella. shit is dangerous

I was in Seattle once and saw two people standing on a street corner with umbrellas. A huge gust came and inverted both umbrellas simultaneously. It was double funny.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Now that I'm safe and dry at work I'm enjoying the weather with some blazing downtempo on the headphones. Missed the power outage earlier today but I'm definitely making sure my laptop batteries are charged. Now I can sit at my desk and watch the vernal pools in the empty lot across the street join forces to form a liquid Voltron and reclaim Mission Bay from the land.

• i think inclement weather is kind of exciting though since weather in the bay is usually mild.

I agree. It's fun to look out the window. It's only really fun inside though.

The house we moved to has sun roofs in the kitchen and hallway and they are making a lot of noise. We're getting some howling wind and lots of pounding rain.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Only in the Bay Area would weather like this be considered extreme. All the news stations make this sound like armageddon. This is a pretty normal storm in most other parts of the country.

Only in the Bay Area would weather like this be considered extreme. All the news stations make this sound like armageddon. This is a pretty normal storm in most other parts of the country.

so true! they made me afraid to leave my house this morning. it reminds me of that scene in LA Story when Steve Martin the weather man makes it seem so dramatic that LA hit a new low of 58 degrees

Could you imagine the armageddon that would occur if it actually snowed here?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    OK, whatever macho dudes... why don't you go live in Minnesota or something then. As a life-long California native, I cannot function in bellow 70 degree temperatures.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Ha, I've joked about that a lot since moving out here. SF would be completely fucked, and people would freak the hell out.

When it snowed in Santa Cruz the entire city basically came to a halt so that they could have snowball fights.

My mom tells me that it did snow in San Francisco twice in the 60s/70s when she was young, and as would happen now, it was the talk of the city for about a week.

In San Francisco: Snow > Tiger Maulings

Ha, I've joked about that a lot since moving out here. SF would be completely fucked, and people would freak the hell out.

not only freak out but people here wouldn't know how to drive. the bay is already full of horrible drivers. can you imagine if they tried to drive when it was snowing? scary thought.

• Its going to be epic tomorrow dudes.

When it snowed in Santa Cruz the entire city basically came to a halt so that they could have snowball fights.

My mom tells me that it did snow in San Francisco twice in the 60s/70s when she was young, and as would happen now, it was the talk of the city for about a week. decade.[/b]

In San Francisco: Snow > Tiger Maulings

I remember the 1976 snow, but I was too young to get to go up to the top of Twin Peaks with my sibs to play in it.

is it really? I have puppy class tomorrow and I hate puppy class. It's outdoors and they say we have class even if it's raining, but my dog ain't learning shit in this weather.

I think it was sometime in the 80s, maybe 87 or so, that it snowed in San Jose. It was right around Christmas or even on Christmas. It snowed, but it wasn't cold enough for it to stay on the ground. It fell from the sky and melted the moment it hit the ground. I seens it with my owns eyes.

is it really?

Surfline says it'll be big and sloppy.

But be careful, fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true.

Vaya con Dios, Brah.

[color:white] beyond bored at work [/color]

is it really? I have puppy class tomorrow and I hate puppy class. It's outdoors and they say we have class even if it's raining, but my dog ain't learning shit in this weather.

I think it was sometime in the 80s, maybe 87 or so, that it snowed in San Jose. It was right around Christmas or even on Christmas. It snowed, but it wasn't cold enough for it to stay on the ground. It fell from the sky and melted the moment it hit the ground. I seens it with my owns eyes.

I have seen snow it snow once in Woodside. A friend and I were going mountain biking, and heading up 92 it started to drizzle. By the time we got to the trails, It was snowing, but not sticking to the ground. This was around 97-98.

But yeah, agreed that his is pretty tame weather for anywhere else besides the bay. I remember driving through Texas one time during a thunderstorm/hailstorm and doing 5-10 mph on interstate 10.

Upside, Tahoe should be bonkers this week, wish I wasn't sick.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    i was crusing to an estate sale this morning over in diamond heights. woke up at like 9:30 and weathered the storm. road closures, fallen trees, detours, garbage in the road, flooding. I went down a hill that was so steep and i thought my car was gonna lose traction and slide down the hill. I finally get there and there's a sign on the gate saying theyre not doing it cuz of the storm. I called the guy he said "yea the gate is electric and i cant open it." run down azz house with a wooden gate.. not electric. piece of shit moffucker!!!!

But yeah, agreed that his is pretty tame weather for anywhere else besides the bay.

Tell that to the guys driving the three big rigs that got blown over on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

wtf?!

um watch out for scaffolding folks.

wtf?!

um watch out for scaffolding folks.

Wow, I hope no one was up there at the time. Scaffolding is mad scary and too often poorly put together. There is no way that strong winds should be able to knock it down if it's done right.

the bay is already full of horrible drivers.

I think a major factor is that people in Cali rock the same tires for years. So when it rains, shit gets scary.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

But yeah, agreed that his is pretty tame weather for anywhere else besides the bay.

Tell that to the guys driving the three big rigs that got blown over on the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge.

True. As a lifelong Chicagoan I find the talk about the two times it snowed in the Bay absolutely hi-larious. Strong winds are no fuckin joke though. We actually got rocked here right before xmas with some gale-force steez (at least it sounded like it from inside) and it even knocked power out in the city, which is usually fairly bulletproof when it comes to outages.

Be careful out there, folks!

• But yeah, agreed that his is pretty tame weather for anywhere else besides the bay.

touche'. ok, we're just spoiled cause this doesn't happen very often. Still ain't no hurricane and I'm glad for that.