new computer (notebook). dell or mac book?

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    i have a black macbook, battery time is my biggest beef (like 2 hrs max).

if i were to do it again, lenovo thinkpad x series. tiny computers, battery time is unbelievable like 7 hrs.

- spidey

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i have a black macbook[/b], battery time is my biggest beef (like 2 hrs max).

if i were to do it again, lenovo thinkpad x series. tiny computers, battery time is unbelievable like 7 hrs.

- spidey

NO !!

haha

Anyways , it does come down to what you are comfortable with , but the reality with PCs/Windows is that you will have "million programs" and tons of freeware , but I personally don't want all those programs.. I want to do what I need to do and do it efficiently without anything getting in the way of that.

All those virus blockers / anti spam / norton / etc etc .... too much to deal with . aka the extra money is worth the peace of mind .

+ mac is cooler.

I like PC. A million programs, so much freeware. My HP Pavillion laptop is built like a tank & runs with no problems. I would only get a Mac if I wanted to fuck with Microwave because it seems to be the defacto laptop for digital deejaying.

Guaranteed my laptop will run Microwave as well if not better than a Mac.

Anyways , it does come down to what you are comfortable with , but the reality with PCs/Windows is that you will have "million programs" and tons of freeware , but I personally don't want all those programs.. I want to do what I need to do and do it efficiently without anything getting in the way of that.

All those virus blockers / anti spam / norton / etc etc .... too much to deal with. aka the extra money is worth the peace of mind .

If you know what you're doing, you don't need virus blockers/antispam/norton at all. Mac has limited amount of programs that work with it, but they have a monopoly over some really great programs. Admit it.

+ mac is cooler.

Rich people delusion.

ps. I also hate ipods.

- spidey

• (get a program called BootCamp to do this)

BootCamp is built into OS X Leopard, which is installed in all new Macs.

So... Say I have ableton live on my pc, I can install it on a mac and be able to run it without buying the mac version? All i would need is to install the mac drivers? more info please.....?

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I like Macs, they're alright, however IMO they're way too expensive for what you get.

not really, if you can't pop a G for a computer, you shouldn't even be on SoulStrut. Buying a PC is like buying 1000 copies of Billy Joel 52nd Street as opposed to an Uber-Raer... not really, but it has some meaning in there...

When you guys talk about computer getting bogged down with this and this all I'm hearing is user error. So assuming you're a complete novice to the big scary world of computers Mac is your way to go. However if you got a bit of a brain, and would rather get more bang for your buck. Consider a PC.

Nope, Straight up, the Microsoft OS is inferior, instead of fixing the problems fully, they just keep developing and ripping off the Mac OS.... As said before, at least with the Macs it's one set motherboard, graphics card, etc. which means less errors when building software.

Like I said, I'd been using a PC for 18 years, pretty much daily.... so you can't really call user error when I been around using a 300 baud modem and building my 286 from scratch.... not to mention using Dos 3.22 with Desqview, etc.

I really don't understand why I put myself through the pain of using a PC, at least after 2000 or so...

FUCK IBM COMPATIBLE TURD BURGLERS....

peace.

not really, if you can't pop a G for a computer, you shouldn't even be on SoulStrut. Buying a PC is like buying 1000 copies of Billy Joel 52nd Street as opposed to an Uber-Raer... not really, but it has some meaning in there...

Sorry man, I'm broke so that makes me Biased.

Nope, Straight up, the Microsoft OS is inferior, instead of fixing the problems fully, they just keep developing and ripping off the Mac OS....

True Windows aint great, but it gets the job done. Leopard aint that great either, but Do you really want to get me started on those problems?

As said before, at least with the Macs it's one set motherboard, graphics card, etc. which means less errors when building software.

huh?

Like I said, I'd been using a PC for 18 years, pretty much daily.... so you can't really call user error when I been around using a 300 baud modem and building my 286 from scratch.... not to mention using Dos 3.22 with Desqview, etc.

I really don't understand why I put myself through the pain of using a PC, at least after 2000 or so...

FUCK IBM COMPATIBLE TURD BURGLERS....

peace.

So, you've been using a computer about as long as I have, but have more problems than I have? How is that possible?

- spidey

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

As said before, at least with the Macs it's one set motherboard, graphics card, etc. which means less errors when building software.

huh?

There are probably 1000s of motherboards, graphic card options for a PC, less on a mac, less room for error...

So, you've been using a computer about as long as I have, but have more problems than I have? How is that possible?

I didn't outline "specific" problems, because there's only one real problem and that is that PCs are unreliable in this day and age. The quicker people convert to Mac, the quicker Microsoft goes.... and that makes the world a better place.

U ever owned a Mac before MalusAranea? you sound just like me right before I bought one!!

peace.

U ever owned a Mac before MalusAranea? you sound just like me right before I bought one!!

peace.

I had a g3 for a slim period, but stopped using it cause the PC I built just overpowered it. If I explained the cost of that computer it would make you guys sick.

- spidey

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    my old laptop is braking down in the moment so i need to get a new one. i don't need it for work. just for internet and writing texts. only thing i know i want is that it is supposed to be small (13" monitor). the two options i found was either a notebook from dell (xps tm 1330) or the smallest mac book. i don't have any exspirience with apple so far. does it take a lot of time to get used to the new system? is is worth it? or shall i stick to dell and windows if i don't need the mac book e.g. for design and photoshop?

I guess I'll be the voice of reason.

I like Macs, they're alright, however IMO they're way too expensive for what you get.

When you guys talk about computer getting bogged down with this and this all I'm hearing is user error. So assuming you're a complete novice to the big scary world of computers Mac is your way to go. However if you got a bit of a brain, and would rather get more bang for your buck. Consider a PC.

What's the biggest difference between macs and pc's? Operating system. Mac's are using the same components as a PC so speaking hardware wise you're getting the same thing. No magic crystals in the cute white box that make it work with graphics better.

Mac
    13"
    2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    80GB hard drive
    Combo drive

Free Shipping
    $1,099.00

Acer
    14.1" WXGA
    1GB Memory
    80GB hard drive
    DVD/CD-RW Combo

3 Business Day Shipping $13.99
    $699.99

What' makes the equivelant computer 400 dollars more expensive?

Fashion, brand name, bragging rights.

Sorry Mac dudes, but I'm constantly using my time fixing computers, and from experience. Mac aint all that.

- spidey

I was an all-PC guy until a couple of years when I saw the light. With Macs... no viruses, no spyware, no anti-virus program bugging you all the time... and most importantly NO VISTA... which I have been told requires atleast 2 GIgs of ram to run smoothly... My Mac experience is clean and inspiring... My graphic design skills have improved significantly since my first mac. The time and energy you spend worrying about viruses, cryptic error messages, and drivers is well worth the extra dough. Not too mention the cool extra software and fonts bundled with the Mac. Sorry but PC loses.

What Rajeirr said.
    Not to mention little things now irritate the fuck out of me on a PC. Like doing a simple search on a PC takes 5 minutes compared to 3 seconds on a Mac. It means a lot when you're searching through thousands of files and time is an issue.
    I could go on and on. It's well worth the price no question.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Mac has limited amount of programs that work with it, but they have a monopoly over some really great programs.

I think it does come down to what your comfortable wth. No matter what anyone says, Macs are expensive. They work great, but every little adaptor/cable/accessory you need, you butting up against a serious monopoly, and you pay for it.

2 more things: I beat the shit out of my Lenovo laptop daily. Drop it in my backpack with basically no padding, subway to work, back home, then to a gig, etc. If you did half the stuff I do to a Macbook, that brushed metal finish would be nagl.

The other thing is my girl made the switch, dropped 1500 for a Macbook with worse specs than mine (which was 1200), and within two weeks she was getting a 1000 dollar estimate to fix a problem with the screen, despite buying AppleCare. She likes the Mac OS, but misses some of the programs she used to use, and regrets the switch. Not a typical user experience I know, but 2300 is a lot of money, and when its a monopoly you don't have a lot of options.

I think it comes down to how well you know Windows. If your comfortable with it and don't find its obvious weaknesses that bad, I dont think its worth the extra money. If you can afford it, and don't want to have to think about anything, and are fed up with Windows, then make the jump.

Also, as far as Microwave, there is no difference, "de facto standard" or not....

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

+ mac is cooler.

Rich people delusion.

ps. I also hate ipods.

- spidey

Not even.... I am by far a "rich person" .

I just feel like if you are going to be using something everyday and it is used to generate money and is an integral part of your work environment , shit.... you should spend a little extra cash and get the right piece of equipment for the job.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    (get a program called BootCamp to do this)

BootCamp is built into OS X Leopard, which is installed in all new Macs.

So... Say I have ableton live on my pc, I can install it on a mac and be able to run it without buying the mac version? All i would need is to install the mac drivers? more info please.....?

BootCamp allows you to install and run Windows on a Mac. When you boot up your computer, you choose between Windows and OS X (whereas with Parallels, Windows runs like a program on OS X which is a bit slower).

So, you have to install Windows (go with XP, of course). It creates a Windows only partition on your hard drive. You then can install your Windows software and run it.

There should be no performance differences between Windows running on a Mac with BootCamp and Windows running on a regular PC.

+ mac is cooler.

Rich people delusion.

ps. I also hate ipods.

- spidey

I just feel like if you are going to be using something everyday and it is used to generate money and is an integral part of your work environment , shit.... you should spend a little extra cash and get the right piece of equipment for the job.

Agreed. We're talking about a few hundred bucks here, not thousands. And frankly, the time I save, and the enjoyment I get, in the two or three years that I'll be using this computer is well worth a few hundred bucks. I consider my Mac to be a wiser investment (and I'm far from being "rich").

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    In terms of getting stuff done, I find PC unfadeable, at least for my uses. I use my PC for DL'ing ish. I think Mac has a reliable soulseek client, but it took a while. The choice I have for torrent programs is great, too. I've never had any problem cracking any DVD encription & have a selection of a dozen or so programs to do so with. There's so much great software for authoring dvd's & cd's. Audio editing programs I've used have been simple as heck to figure out. I have a laptop with 160GB's of storage, plenty room to store my ish. I can't imagine what could be easier, short of a computer that could do what I want without my even asking it to. I'm not entirely convinced that I could do some of the stuff I do on a Mac - imageburn, VLC, dvd shrink - all this stuff is amazing & easy to use. I think there are some mac equivalents, but if it ain't broken... I guess I don't care to be different, just efficient, so PC works for my needs pretty well.

• i have a black macbook, battery time is my biggest beef (like 2 hrs max).

- spidey

i don't know about everyone else but i usually get 4 and a half to 5 hours with my macbooks battery life. the newest macbooks came out in november, which i have, so now is a good time to buy. i think the macbook pro's will get an update soon as well..

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    i have a black macbook, battery time is my biggest beef (like 2 hrs max).

- spidey

i don't know about everyone else but i usually get 4 and a half to 5 hours with my macbooks battery life. the newest macbooks came out in november, which i have, so now is a good time to buy. i think the macbook pro's will get an update soon as well..

Eric Johnson?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    OK, he said he also hates ipods. Isnt that pretty much your cue that hes a mac hater?

How do you hate ipods?

Ive got a macbook pro and was also a pc guy all my life until about a year ago. Using a mac is an infinitely more elegant experience.

plus, no viruses, spyware, keyloggers, or other crap.

Only people who would reccomend a pc over a mac are those who have only owned a pc. Show me anybody who owns both and would tell you to get a friggin dell and ill show you a lunatic.

Unless you are a pc gamer, in which case yeah, the pc will have way better games.

In terms of getting stuff done, I find PC unfadeable, at least for my uses. I use my PC for DL'ing ish. I think Mac has a reliable soulseek client, but it took a while. The choice I have for torrent programs is great, too. I've never had any problem cracking any DVD encription & have a selection of a dozen or so programs to do so with. There's so much great software for authoring dvd's & cd's. Audio editing programs I've used have been simple as heck to figure out. I have a laptop with 160GB's of storage, plenty room to store my ish. I can't imagine what could be easier, short of a computer that could do what I want without my even asking it to. I'm not entirely convinced that I could do some of the stuff I do on a Mac - imageburn, VLC, dvd shrink - all this stuff is amazing & easy to use. I think there are some mac equivalents, but if it ain't broken... I guess I don't care to be different, just efficient, so PC works for my needs pretty well.

Yeah ... ultimately it comes down to personal preference, of course. While I can do everything you describe with my Mac (Mac the Ripper plus Toast takes care of business), there's no reason you should feel compelled to switch if you have everything you need.

I'll probably end up installing XP on mine soon, actually. I have a database design course next semester that requires the use of Access (unfortunately Microsoft doesn't make Access for OS X). It'll be interesting to compare them back to back on the same machine.

Fasho. All I'm saying is your spending the extra cash for Fashion.

There should be no performance differences between Windows running on a Mac with BootCamp and Windows running on a regular PC.

Which further proves that a Mac is just a Pretty PC, with a different OS.

OK, he said he also hates ipods. Isnt that pretty much your cue that hes a mac hater?

How do you hate ipods?

Let me ask you without third party software how do you get your music off an ipod?

Show me anybody who owns both and would tell you to get a friggin dell and ill show you a lunatic.

Dude, I wouldn't reccomend a Dell to anybody, nor a Mac.

Only people who would reccomend a pc over a mac are those who have only owned a pc.know what the hell they're doing and care about what they pay for.

ps. i also hate iphones

- spidey

• always only mac user 6+ yrs. NO problems to report. pc only= headache/bugs/virus/trojan/slow/48 new junkmail/avoid. apple is a trustworthy proven brand. please believe me. peace, stein. . .

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This just in...other things Spidey hates:

ice cream
    babies
    women in sun dresses
    jazz

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    On the real, if we were to poll the Strut massive, my guess is that:

Mac: PC = at least 3:1

You're not likely going to be a balanced opinion 'round here. Everyone has glugged the Apple kool-aid (present company, included).

• plus one more thing. lets be truthful, this is a music community. walk up into any reputable studio in the world and see what kind of computers they are using(except in the office i'd guess they use pc)peace, stein. . .

Now he hates iphones!

See thats just not reasonable. Im sorry.

• kubkub 46 Posts

Only people who would reccomend a pc over a mac are those who have only owned a pc. Show me anybody who owns both and would tell you to get a friggin dell and ill show you a lunatic.

see, you're making an assumption which is wrong right there. there are no virii or spyware for that OS, YET (actually there are but very few)
    my point is, up till recent years the main OS the hackers, crackers etc. focused on was windows. with the userbase of macs growing you will see a growing number of virii etc for that OS aswell.
    if the security is so important to you then there are things to bear in mind.
    90% of the errors occur because of the user and not the machine/OS.
    if you know what you're doing on a PC there is a very slim chance you get your shit fucked up, i'd say same chance as with a mac.
    have you tried UNIX based stuff to draw a comparison?
    in the end macs today are pcs with a different OS, hardware is the same.
    regarding slowness and processes running: again if you know what you're doing and the hardware is up to date, a pc is not slower than a mac. and IF your box is slow guess what, it's a lot cheaper to upgrade a pc than a mac. hardware upgrades for macs f.e. memory are expensive.
    i think the people are buying into a "lifestyle" hype and don't look at the facts.
    it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how good you know the operating system you are currently using.
    and i don't even want to go into the software for each OS, to make a long story short there are much more apps may it be free or shareware for windows than for any other OS.

peace

• PC's are for people with cockroach style.

see, you're making an assumption which is wrong right there. there are no virii or spyware for that OS, YET (actually there are but very few)
    my point is, up till recent years the main OS the hackers, crackers etc. focused on was windows. with the userbase of macs growing you will see a growing number of virii etc for that OS aswell.
    if the security is so important to you then there are things to bear in mind.
    90% of the errors occur because of the user and not the machine/OS.
    if you know what you're doing on a PC there is a very slim chance you get your shit fucked up, i'd say same chance as with a mac.
    have you tried UNIX based stuff to draw a comparison?
    in the end macs today are pcs with a different OS, hardware is the same.
    regarding slowness and processes running: again if you know what you're doing and the hardware is up to date, a pc is not slower than a mac. and IF your box is slow guess what, it's a lot cheaper to upgrade a pc than a mac. hardware upgrades for macs f.e. memory are expensive.
    i think the people are buying into a "lifestyle" hype and don't look at the facts.
    it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how good you know the operating system you are currently using.
    and i don't even want to go into the software for each OS, to make a long story short there are much more apps may it be free or shareware for windows than for any other OS.

peace

hows what i said wrong? Theres no viruses. because you threw that big YET on the end?

About the only point you made there is that pc's are cheaper. Which granted, pc's are kinda cheap.

This just in...other things Spidey hates:

ice cream
    babies
    women in sun dresses
    jazz

I could probably fill a couple books full of all the things I hate, but we'll save that for a later thread.

- spidey