James Browns Best dance-floor filler?

2»

Comments

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    HI... not to but since todays topic is JB, i have a question regarding a late 60s track... did James Brown's The Drunk only come out as a 7' or is it featured on a orig JB album also???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=209VsqIbZRo

Great track.

Sure it's single only. Mines on King though...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    HI... not to but since todays topic is JB, i have a question regarding a late 60s track... did James Brown's The Drunk only come out as a 7' or is it featured on a orig JB album also???

Great track.

really? do you have a label scan? id be curious to see a King copy of this. whats the flip side?

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

Great track.

really? do you have a label scan? id be curious to see a King copy of this. whats the flip side?

I got the King 45 of The Drunk... actually I don't know..

Its distributed by Starday-King Recordings but the label appears to be Bethlehem

The flip is A Man Has To Go Back To The Crossroads

Cat No: 45-3098

Anyway, my two sureshots are either Sex Machine or Give It Up / Turn It Loose.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I got the King 45 of The Drunk... actually I don't know..

Its distributed by Starday-King Recordings but the label appears to be Bethlehem

The flip is A Man Has To Go Back To The Crossroads

Cat No: 45-3098

This is the same Bethlehem single we've been talking about.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts

Great track.

"a man has to go back to the crossroads" is on the flip. I'll post a picture later...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    More Peas was a staple of mine along w/ Please Please Please (Salsa version) from Hell.

• puppup 133 Posts
    SOUL POWER!

... but if we stretch the definition, my best luck has always been with Bobby Byrd's "I Know You Got Soul"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

That song will make my grandma get up and dance. Grandma doesn't usually get up and dance.

Oh, come on. Everyone always acts surprised, but Grandma inevitably
    gets up offa that thing, gets into it and gets involved by night's end.

At least, at Irish-American weddings she does

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    "It's a New Day"

That was gonna be my pick, I used to play that one out all the time
    and it was a bonified sureshot.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    "It's a New Day"

yes!

a james brown song most people do not know at all, by sample or anything, yet will lose their shit too... my pick as well...

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Cold Sweat/Doin to the death would be personal fav. but I would say in Ozland it would be Sex Machine or I Got You...just cause they are well known.

I think it depends on the crowd. White, black, young, old, hip hop, funk, metal heads etc. JB has hits for them all!

I once played King Herion at a party for mates and all the ex smackies in the room got REALLY into it (not really dancing more like swaying about reminicing about their addictions).

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I once played King Herion at a party for mates and all the ex smackies in the room got REALLY into it (not really dancing more like swaying about reminicing about their addictions).

Sounds like a cracking event

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Ahh I dont hang with junkies (but a few old mates went that way) and it was a friends party and I hijacked the decks for a while.
    I had mentioned the song to someone, and yeah a few of them wanted to hear it... it was a surreal scene. Plus this was during the 'coming down' period of the night, where all the chemicals are gone, everyone is sitting round punching bongs and feeling biggered. best time to drop them deep, soulful slow tunes....

Trust me... you drop that tune in a methadone clinic and even the nurses will be crying!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "It's a New Day"

yes!

a james brown song most people do not know at all, by sample or anything, yet will lose their shit too... my pick as well...

plus, the mix on the 45 is HOT

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Nose Job - between +6 and +8

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Maybe not the best, but other well-known and notable tracks:

Super Bad approx 124
    Unwind Yourself approx 128
    I Got That Feeling approx 128
    Night Train approx 130

all at a nice dance tempo.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    As the question was "James Browns Best dance-floor filler", the answer has to be "Sex Machine" - everyone knows it.

Would rock even a KKK party.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Get Up Offa That Thing

Gotta be the one-sided 45rpm 12"

Loud as hell and works with almost any type of crowd. Universal.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Great track.

"a man has to go back to the crossroads" is on the flip. I'll post a picture later...

Sorry, Dude - It's on Bethlehem. (late reaction award)

But this one isn't:

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Here's a pick