Quick Prince question (the time)

HamHam 872 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
On the first The Time album, is that Prince or Jesse Johnson playing guitar? On "get it up" for instance. Wherever you read about the record it says that Prince and Morris Day basically recorded it on their own, so if someone with some familiarity with their styles could answer this question i would be grateful.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good question. In those days Prince was on some DIY steez.
    Ill check it when im home. Or maybe some could post Get It Up.

My instict would say it was JJ on guitar produced by Prince.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    Funny, I had just read the Prince bio on Wikipedia last week and it said he played all the instuments on those albums as well!

In 1981, Prince formed a "side project" (a problematic label given that his band was only used for performance, not recording sessions) band called The Time. Prince was able to do this thanks to a clause in his contract with Warner Bros. The Time released four albums between 1981 and 1990, with Prince writing and performing all instruments and backing vocals throughout. The band's vocals were led by Morris Day.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    That's seems pretty weird that he would play ALL the instruments. crazy if it's true though...

• That's seems pretty weird that he would play ALL the instruments. crazy if it's true though...

that's funny, cause I had researched my Time lore this summer as well, and by all accounts Prince did play most of the instruments but under a ton of pseudonyms.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    That's seems pretty weird that he would play ALL the instruments. crazy if it's true though...

that's funny, cause I had researched my Time lore this summer as well, and by all accounts Prince did play most of the instruments but under a ton of pseudonyms.

yeah i can see how he would play most of the instruments, but maybe jesse johnson contributed the guitar solo on get it up or little things like that.

I can see where he did that shit for his earlier albums, but for the side projects as well =

• That's seems pretty weird that he would play ALL the instruments. crazy if it's true though...

I can see where he did that shit for his earlier albums, but for the side projects as well =

yeah, I remember reading about how he denied it for the longest time (he also had a producer pseudonym), but finally admitted to it in an on-air interview.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts
    I also heard he did a lot of session work in his late teens to pay for studio time at Sound 80. Jump off 94 West. On some Prince knowledge, here's an interview by Electifying Mojo from way back Dee-troit radio legendary-ness:

Prince in Print

I listened to The Time album tonight and COOL sounds like Prince on the guitar and production but Get It Up's guitar solo sounds like Jesse Johnson.

Engineered & Mixed by Jamie Starr.....

• I listened to The Time album tonight and COOL sounds like Prince on the guitar and production but Get It Up's guitar solo sounds like Jesse Johnson.

I just got that first TIME LP recently. Get it up is so damn dope.

sexy even

I listened to The Time album tonight and COOL sounds like Prince on the guitar and production but Get It Up's guitar solo sounds like Jesse Johnson.

Im sure uv heard TLC's version?

• I listened to The Time album tonight and COOL sounds like Prince on the guitar and production but Get It Up's guitar solo sounds like Jesse Johnson.

man..you just blew my mind. I totally remember this video but at the time wasn??t even trying to hear anything that wasn??t rap.

it??s basically the same thing except with some new jack panache. TIME WINS

man..you just blew my mind. I totally remember this video but at the time wasn??t even trying to hear anything that wasn??t rap.

it??s basically the same thing except with some new jack panache. TIME WINS

Yeah but T-Boz was workin that deep-funk voice.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    There are a couple of books that list all of the recording details for Prince's solo records and side projects. According to the one I have, the only member of the Time who appears on the first record is Morris doing the lead vocals. Everything else is Prince, except for a couple of keyboard solos and any female backing vocals. Even the songwriting is all Prince except for one, which he co-wrote with Dez Dickerson. Same for the second LP as well.

There are a couple of books that list all of the recording details for Prince's solo records and side projects. According to the one I have, the only member of the Time who appears on the first record is Morris doing the lead vocals. Everything else is Prince, except for a couple of keyboard solos and any female backing vocals. Even the songwriting is all Prince except for one, which he co-wrote with Dez Dickerson. Same for the second LP as well.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    It's pretty much the same for the first 3 Time LP's, the first 2 or 3 Sheila E records, the Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, and Family LP's. Other than the occasional keyboard/guitar line or solo, and the horns, strings, and lead vocals, Prince played the instruments, sang most of the backing vocals, wrote 90% of the music, and produced everything. No wonder he burned out.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    It's pretty much the same for the first 3 Time LP's, the first 2 or 3 Sheila E records, the Vanity 6, Apollonia 6, and Family LP's. Other than the occasional keyboard/guitar line or solo, and the horns, strings, and lead vocals, Prince played the instruments, sang most of the backing vocals, wrote 90% of the music, and produced everything. No wonder he burned out.

Prince was/is one serious mofo in the studio. Speaking of Starr*Corp side projects, how was that Jill Jones LP from 87? I used to love that "Mia Boca" jam when it came out:

Hot thaaang???

• HamHam 872 Posts

whoa.