REP your sureshot COLD tactics

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I have a freekin cold for the second time in a month.. there are some suped up strains swiffering this area at the moment.Anyone have any tactics they swear by for kicking a cold's ass in the shortest possible time span ??I wanna know what people rep as in the battle against stupid-ass colds.Paece. Lee.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i won't say sureshot, but everytime i have a cold it worked for me:

basically drink water - sweat - piss

drink heaps of water, wear thicker clothes and sleep it off.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    You need that Samgyetang 삼계탕 !!!!!!!

From Wikipedia:

Samgyetang (pronounced [samgjetʰaŋ]), sometimes called chicken ginseng soup, is a Korean soup-based dish. It is basically a whole young chicken stuffed with glutinous rice and boiled in a broth of Korean ginseng, dried jujube fruit, garlic, and ginger. Samgyetang is traditionally served in the summer for its supposed nutrients, which replaces those that are easily lost through excessive sweating and physical exertion during the hot summers in Korea.

Like chicken soup, which is thought to help common sicknesses in the West, samgyetang is held to be not only a cure for physical ailments but a preventer of sickness. Proteins, minerals and hormones from the whole chicken mixed with the beneficial properties of the ingredients combined in the dish makes it a revered culinary item in South Korea. Only whole uncut ingredients are used for the dish, as they preserve the maximum amount of nutrients.

Specialty restaurants common in Korea serve nothing but samgyetang, having gained local popularity through their special recipe for the dish which are often kept secret. The dish is usually accompanied by side dishes and, in some restaurants, a small complementary bottle of ginseng wine is included.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

This stuff works amazingly well. It's an immune system booster, so it works best when you first start to feel the cold come on. By taking this I often beat colds before they even take hold.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Airborne when you start feeling sick
    Hydrate
    Pho
    Rest
    Water
    OJ
    Plenty of citrus fruits

Generally, you need to keep your immune system up by eating well, getting rest, and exercising.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've been taking these big vit.C pills that give you something like 200% rda. I've been on them for over a year and have only had 1 slight cold.

Also, for sore throats, cough type colds, boil up some lemons, fresh ginger and honey, maybe a little sugar to taste. Works a treat.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Thanks dudes.

So basically, to put it all together..

Wake up and hit the cold-eeze, rock moderate fluids during the day... have oranges for lunch and chicken ginseng soup for dinner, then I go jogging and sweat it all out, and rock a piss when I get home.

Thats a sweet regime.

Any opinions on homeopathic medicines or Echinacea ?

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Airborne when you start feeling sick

i used to get bad colds all the time- my wife put me up on this a few years back and i haven't had a real cold since. i also don't frequent germ-filled record conventions anymore, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Ginger and garlic and tons of water. I also hit up some herbal medicine when i start feeling the begining of a cold. Herbal shit is better than something like sudafed because it actually addresses the causes of why your body is gettin sick in the first place and helps you get better quicker. On a related note here in aus you now need id when buying cold medicine because so many people use it to make speed.

• Thanks dudes.

So basically, to put it all together..

Wake up and hit the cold-eeze, rock moderate fluids during the day... have oranges for lunch and chicken ginseng soup for dinner, then I go jogging and sweat it all out, and rock a piss when I get home.

Thats a sweet regime.

Add some zinc lozenges into that mix.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Echinacea works best when you are just starting to feel sick. Once the cold/flu has dug in its claws, it won't do much. However, keep some on hand because it can help when taken at the right time.

Oscillococcinum is a homeopathic flu remedy that some people have good experiences with (haven't used it myself, but we used to sell a lot at the food co-op I worked at years ago).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Echinacea has never worked for me, but a large cup of fresh ginger and lemon with hot water has actually killed a cold if I felt it coming on and had this drink right away. Otherwise, it doesn't have to be too complicated: lots of sleep, lots of liquids (Vit C especially) and no dairy/tobacco/caffeine has kept my colds down to two or three days in the past few years.

As far as prevention goes, you might want to make sure that you're sleeping enough, eating well and are bundled up in the cold. Neglecting those will compromise your immunue system and make you an easy target for colds.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Echinacea has never worked for me, but a large cup of fresh ginger and lemon with hot water has actually killed a cold if I felt it coming on and had this drink right away. Otherwise, it doesn't have to be too complicated: lots of sleep, lots of liquids (Vit C especially) and no dairy/tobacco/caffeine has kept my colds down to two or three days in the past few years.

As far as prevention goes, you might want to make sure that you're sleeping enough, eating well and are bundled up in the cold. Neglecting those will compromise your immunue system and make you an easy target for colds.

Echinacea is generally misused. It's intended for short-term use when you need an immune-system boost BEFORE getting sick. If you take it for more than, say, 10 days at a time, it becomes totally ineffective -- and if you're taking it to feel better once you're already sick, ditto. Try taking some when you're not sick but lots of fam/friends/coworkers are, and you might be giving yourself a much-needed boost.

I've had much better results from astragalus extract; similar to echinacea except supposedly it remains effective as a preventative year-round. I've taken a few drops every morning for 3-4 years now, and, in conjunction with some other positive health changes, I get sick about 1/10 as often as I used to. Even if it's a placebo effect, the placebo effect's been so dramatic it's more than worth the $50/year investment.

As for when you're already sick,

on the following:

Garlic
    Curries or other sweat-enducing foods
    Lots of water
    OJ (but only 1-2 cups a day, or your stomach will suffur)
    Hot ginger tea (as much as you want)
    coldeeze or other zinc tablets
    reduced dairy intake
    sleep

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    A neighbor friend gave my wife and I some Sambucol elderberry extract syrup to try when we felt like we were getting a cold. I was skeptical about using a homeopathic remedy but we both recovered quickly after using it.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    vitamin C every day.

• plkbrynplkbryn 159 Posts
    on the prevention tip, keep a bottle of hand sanitizer at your desk.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ^^^

Lots of water. Lots of hot tea with lemon, ginger and cayenne.
    Slice up some garlic and swallow that shit before you sleep.
    Immune Boosters like a Vit. C, Zinc and Echin combo pill.
    Or Goldenseal.
    If you can get yr hands on some Oil of Oregano...that shit is like pure fire for chest colds, phlegm, etc. It's VERY intense. But it worked for me.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    with regards to ginger, do you guys just get fresh ginger and put it through a garlic press or something? or just slice it up?

I'm not sick yet but you guys are making me feel like I'm about to be. I need to step my game up now.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    with regards to ginger, do you guys just get fresh ginger and put it through a garlic press or something? or just slice it up?

Just peel the skin off and chop it up. It's oddly shaped, so I just use a paring knife and get my whittle on. Then I chop it into chunks and boil it or put it in a cup and pour tea water on it.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Just peel the skin off and chop it up. It's oddly shaped, so I just use a paring knife and get my whittle on. Then I chop it into chunks and boil it or put it in a cup and pour tea water on it.

Hey, in my experience a spoon is the perfect way to peel ginger.

Also the Master Cleanse Diet of Water, Cayenne, Lemon and maple syrup can work wonders. The key is as much cayenne as you can handle. I'm also into switching the lemon for orange and adding ginger as well.

Another tried and true fix, Saline or use of a netty pot for sinus blockage.

For Respiratory needs, Sometimes you just need some good old fashioned Ephedra
    or m?? hu??ng which is really hard to find these days and Pseudoephedrine is only abtainable by prescription now here in Oregon but that stuff works.

Also an important night time aid not to be forgotten......Whiskey.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    ZICAM swabs (not the oral spray)

stick that stuff up your nose and you feel better in no time! (no )

kinda expensive, but worth it. it has not failed me when i use it within the first 2 days of symptoms. i slipped during my last cold though and it was too late. the oral spray sucks though and has a horrible taste. the swabs don't smell or taste like anything. best thing ever

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I seldom catch colds but when i I do....

Guided imagery or visualization is a technique that uses the imagination to create vivid images that the body can perceive and respond to. Often described as focused day-dreaming, visualization is considered a complementary therapy that works well with traditional treatments. Guided imagery can ease stress, anxiety, enhance personal awareness, and improve psychological coping skills. Because visual imagery has numerous aspects and various components as well as techniques in application, the definitions can vary in meaning from practitioner to practitioner. [/b]

• raw garlic.

eat two cloves of it raw. You'll stink and your farts will smell like you're cooking a meal, but it will definitely help curb the cold. It sucks eating raw garlic, but take it like medicine and just gulp it down with some OJ.

Supposedly chopping up the garlic and freezing it will help prevent any stomach aches you may get from the raw garlic. I saw just go for it and chop them into manageable pieces. It's worked for me. I think it needs to be raw to be most effective.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

kinda expensive, but worth it. it has not failed me when i use it within the first 2 days of symptoms. i slipped during my last cold though and it was too late. the oral spray sucks though and has a horrible taste. the swabs don't smell or taste like anything. best thing ever

I believe the nasal spray version of this product was linked to a high incidence of permanent loss of smell and maybe even recalled?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    UMCKA

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

agreed agreed agreed.....this shit ALWAYS speeds shit along

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    raw garlic.

eat two cloves of it raw. You'll stink and your farts will smell like you're cooking a meal, but it will definitely help curb the cold. It sucks eating raw garlic, but take it like medicine and just gulp it down with some OJ.

Supposedly chopping up the garlic and freezing it will help prevent any stomach aches you may get from the raw garlic. I saw just go for it and chop them into manageable pieces. It's worked for me. I think it needs to be raw to be most effective.

I can swallow a whole clove before I sleep.