J-Pop, Nippopop.... or whatever

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
I used to like Utada Hikaru .....is there anything like that these days around ?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Nippopop =

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Nippopop =

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i really don't see what's funny about that. if you came up to me and called me "nippo" i would more than likely knock you the fuck out.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

i really don't see what's funny about that. if you came up to me and called me "nippo" i would more than likely knock you the fuck out.

I can't speak for dude, but Nippon means "Japan" in Japanese. So I don't see "Nippopop" really being a racist word. Thats like me being offended by "Ameripop."

Now if he ommitted two more letters from "Nippopop"......

I was at Shinsengumi in Torrance and saw a flier for this website, targeted at Japanese living in Los Angeles. Real quote:

"Japanese + Happy = Jappy" (the name of the site)

My wife (who is JA) couldn't believe it. I personally thought shit was kind of funny.

• Even though I never listen to J-Pop, I have to say I like this song...
    it's easy, catchy, etc.

I actually heard it first on KALX!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I can't speak for dude, but Nippon means "Japan" in Japanese. So I don't see "Nippopop" really being a racist word. Thats like me being offended by "Ameripop."

Now if he ommitted two more letters from "Nippopop"......
    well i'm glad i have you here to remind me what words in my language mean and to tell me what i can and cannot be offended by

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    There is an act called "Soulhead" that came to my attention a while back. A bit like a Japanese TLC, kind of poppy R&B with a girl who raps in a mix of Japanese and English. Anyway, their "Crystalized" set is worth checking for a Reel People mix of a tune called "You Can Do That".

I can't up the mp3 from work but will hook an upload up when I get home.

• snosno 332 Posts
    Leah Dizon, my friend, is the ultimate J-pop eye candy (at least for the time being).

• Leah Dizon, my friend, is the ultimate J-pop eye candy (at least for the time being).

Grazie Vincenzo and BTW I'll let you know when I will come to your place during next months

and thanks to all the other cats for the suggestions..

...hey what's this violence ?

ok let me put it straight : as troubleman said, my post wasn't aimed to be offensive or -worse- racist...

mmhh actually I really didn't know nippon or nippopop had a racist meaning in America...

you know, I'm clearly

I personally read it somewhere (maybe a music magazine I don't remember) and they used just like "J-pop".... I really don't care for labels so I wrote it that way..

...wait a minute: I didn't know YOU were Japanese ..(but are you ?)

• snosno 332 Posts
    Grazie Vincenzo and BTW I'll let you know when I will come to your place during next months

You definitely have to holler at us HKG SoulStrutters, sir! How is Shanghai treating you???

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    there are loads of japanese r&b/hip-pop/j-pop artists out there. Here are some names to get familiar...

m-flo
    bonnie pink
    bennie k
    mika nakashima (she's huge)
    crystal k
    koda kumi
    lyrico
    rip slyme

I like a lot more of the under the radar people in Japan, especially Gagle, Paris Match, Bird, Beret, Orange Pekoe and Wyolica.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Amuro Namie = Golden era j-pop

Mr.children =

• snosno 332 Posts
    Anyone care for some Dragon Ash?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    what is pizzicato 5's nationality? they are phukn awesome and good times

what is pizzicato 5's nationality?

Are people so lazy as to neglect to use ?

I like a lot more of the under the radar people in Japan, especially Gagle, Paris Match, Bird, Beret, Orange Pekoe and Wyolica.

exactly

.... Bird and Orange Pekoe are two names that represents better what I'm lookin for....

also I was thinking something like "Four of Kind" but more pop oriented

• Anyone care for some Dragon Ash?

they are wack but I would buy the Krush remix promo 12" just for the instrumental