ATTN Toronto Strutters (help needed-r)

On_the_Red_ClayOn_the_Red_Clay 1,728 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
Hi Toronto massive,one of my girlfriend's oldest friends just received word she has been given a research / teaching position at Toronto's Ryerson university - starting at the end of this month At the moment she's still living and working in Pennsylvania and is planning to visit Toronto next week to see if she can find an appartment / studio. Since she's completely clueless with regard to prices / neighbourhoods / things or people to watch out for / effective ways of looking. i've offered to make this post since i know there are more than a few kindhearted residents of the city in case on this board.If anyone reading this is willing to help her out with some tips and / or knowledge, please drop me a pm and i'll give you her @dress.BIG thanks in advance,RC

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    She can get to Ryerson fairly easily if she lives near the Dundas streetcar line or the subway line. To live on her own in a decent place not too far away from Ryerson, it will be $750+. A friend of mine just found a place for February and this was his experience.

As far as areas near the school and on the subway line go, the Annex, College Street and Queen West are pricey. But going six or seven subway stops to the North, East and West, prices get much better.

I would suggest Craig's List and View It (how I found my place). Also, Ryerson has housing lists just for students and staff - she can ask the school to connect her with that.

I think you have my email? You can def pass it on to her if she has questions.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    Hey dude I go to Ryerson wouldn't find helpin out

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    not in the greatest neighbourhood (though just a little skip from play de record vintage).

that store closed this year....

Bassie is right on point with the suggestions , cosine to all that she mentioned.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Area around Ryerson is devoid of culture/food. They're attempting to change it into Times Square so to speak.

Downtown will be expensive. If she wants to live on her own and want to be cheaper, I sugggest Bloor W, from Ossington onwards. THere is a great farmers market at Dufferin Grove.

Msg me on aim if you need more help.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    for young people, there is absolutely nothing like the West End of the city. Good enough in terms of rent, whether sharing a place or not, and simply cannot be beat for lifestyle. I would also suggest the East End as well (specifically Leslieville where I live) for a bit more reasonable rents and for a slightly more down tempo but easily as cool locale.

Bassie is right on point with suggestions as to how to find a place.

Good luck to your girl with the move and her studies.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    for young people, there is absolutely nothing like the West End of the city. Good enough in terms of rent, whether sharing a place or not, and simply cannot be beat for lifestyle. I would also suggest the East End as well (specifically Leslieville where I live) for a bit more reasonable rents and for a slightly more down tempo but easily as cool locale.

Bassie is right on point with suggestions as to how to find a place.

Good luck to your girl with the move and her studies.

Yeah, I would break down the neighbourhoods like this (this way she can understand the discussions a bit better)

Right around Ryerson - not much, area is a bit desolate. There are tons of condo towers in the downtown core, but I don't recommend them all that much as they seem a bit lacking in a neighbourhood. Still, it would be convenient.

Cabbagetown is worth considering if you don't want to party all the time - a bit north and east from Ryerson, but still walking distance, quieter, more professionals, but still convenient to get around the city.

Also the Gay Village at Church and Wellesley is pretty central, on the subway and on the streetcar, and walking distance to Ryerson. There are some nice older apartment buildings a bit north of Wellesley.

The Annex is centrally located, and has some plusses (Soon tufu in Koreatown!) but is mostly University of Toronto undergrad students, and I could see a grad student wanting to get away from that.

Kensington market is mostly more young people doing young people things. Some cool places in here, but I don't think the apartments are all that good.

Tuneup is right about the West end (by that I mean Queen W., Dundas W.), can be annoyingly hip, but if you are hip then you will get into it. Some good local bars around Ossington. Is streetcar dependent, which can be annoying if you ever have to be somewhere at a specific time. If you always have +/- 20 minutes, it's fine.

Leslieville is cool too, with a good neighbourhood vibe. See my comments about the streetcar above.

Little Italy / College street is fine during the week, but is pretty insufferable on the weekends with party people shivering in little dresses outside the bars and restaurants.

Other neighbourhoods would probably be further from Ryerson than you would want to be. Good luck to her!

• Thanks for all the replies Strutters - appreciated!

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    don't forget the junction, close to high park with lotsa character!