Kimchi appreciation post !

2»

Comments

• i had to take a break from the kim-chi as of recent. the new brand they have at my work fucks with my stomach. I have hit up the Korean Market in my hood but all the kimchee they be rockin has shrimp or fish oil in it and I unfortunately allergic to both said substances. there is this other kimchee that i can buy that is like 10 bucks a jar and I am not feeling that. this summer I am going to set up shop and dig some holes in my back yard, minneapolis people, i will have some nice fish/seafood free kimchee to spare.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

get some Shinramen while you're there!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    For us, the realness comes from OMMA!!!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    For us, the realness comes from OMMA!!!

JYEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

man I so want to have kimchi hotpot now!

beef, vegetables and tofu, then put in the shinramen at the end, and drink up all the soup cuz you know ya can't waste em!

fiyaah!

• man I so want to have kimchi hotpot now!

beef, vegetables and tofu, then put in the shinramen at the end, and drink up all the soup cuz you know ya can't waste em!

fiyaah!

OOOOHH I have been making some crazy ass kimchi chigeh lately. It's best to use old stanky kimchi for that soup since it cooks into this amazing pungent, spicy, slightly sour broth. I don't use ramen but instead have been shoving japcheh (the potato starch clear noodles) into my soup. My boyfriend gets some sort of fire-ass after eating my soup the next day, but I don't have any problems. Maybe it's different for those that have grown up eating it? He also can't eat kimchi in the morning.

My favorite kimchi lately has been Chong Kak kimchi, also known as 'bachelor kimchi' since bachelors are slobby men who can't be bothered to cut up their kimchi. At least, that's how my uncle explained that kimchi to me.

Has anyone here MADE their own kimchi? That's next level...something I will try to do this year. If Anthony Bourdain can go to Korea and make some, then I can make some in my Oakland kitchen!

All this talk about kimchi and Korean food has got me HUNGRY.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

All this talk about kimchi and Korean food has got me HUNGRY.

Thanks a lot guys, at least I know what I'll be having for lunch tomorrow.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    um, not to knock my own people, but a lot of the dishes mentioned here are japanese takes on korean food. which is basically watered down korean food. in fact, i remember a few years ago japan was trying to copyright kimchee or something.

I'm pretty sure ya'll just boosted that shit from

• now i really want yookgae jang for this cold ass weather. this thread is killing me. i would pay an extra 50 bucks a month to live above a shop like that.

anyone know of good types of red pepper to get when making kimchi/soups?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Dokk-bokkee (however you spell it) is my favorite shit. Seriously. I love it so much.

Shig- your recipe is spot on. made me laugh.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    [Has anyone here MADE their own kimchi? That's next level...something I will try to do this year. If Anthony Bourdain can go to Korea and make some, then I can make some in my Oakland kitchen!

It's easy. And you don't have to dig any holes. The getting the flavor of the paste dialed in is the trickiest part.
    Basic paste:
    Green onion
    Ginger
    Garlic
    Peppers
    Fish Sauce (not too much)
    your own secret ingredients
    throw all that stuff in a blender and make a paste. Tweak it until it tastes how you like.

Make a salt brine (don't use table salt) the saltier the longer the kimchi will take to get sour

cut up:
    cabbage
    daikon
    carrot
    whatever else you want

mix the cabbage and stuff with brine and paste in a large bowl and pound or punch them shits for a minute or two. Throw a cloth over the bowl and let it sit for 12-24 hours stiring once or twice. (That step is key because thats when the kimchi attracts yeast from the air around it.) Next jar it up. I put a whole cabbage leaf at the top of every jar and make sure brine covers everything. Don't fill to the top. Let them ferment somewhere with a near constant temp over 68f. I put mine on a heat pad set to low. In a week or more its ready. Check them daily tho. The jars may need to be burped if too much pressure builds. When little bubbles form or it smells sour enough, try a jar. The longer you wait the more sour it will be.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I am a big fan of the little anchovies I can cop at the banchan section of my local k-market. The squid too, works great in a quick stir fry.

today is cold.......I want to revisit something like this.

• Dokk-bokkee (however you spell it) is my favorite shit. Seriously. I love it so much.

true indeed. i lived in korea for a little bit. that was my mainstay meat-free product. gotta be spicy to the 10th degree or nothing else. my main korean spot in Annandale can't even reproduce how my favorite spot -errr, street corner use to make.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ive been meaning to hit up Little Korea for some Kimchi.