Kimchi appreciation post !

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited January 2008 in Strut Central
that's something delicious...actually it's becoming an habit is there any Kimchi lover around here ?I heard it is considered very healthy...I like the classic one (as in the pic) but I know there are hundred of different regional variations.... please drop some knowledge here

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    yo breath will smell garlic-y, but it is with a bowl of white rice.

I heard the combination of kimchi with the Japanese fermented beans ( natto )
    is a super healthy combo. Don't know the reasons why, but many health nuts say so. They even have this sort of kimchi natto at Japanese supermarkets now.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Please believe it. I LOVE kimchi and banchan. I get down with the Nabak Kimchi, Sokbakji and Soy Sauce Kimchi . The napa, the garlic, the apple, the shredded radish, the big cubes of radish, the parilla leaves, the squid, the little dried fish joints, the octopus, etc. There are actually close to 200 kinds if you include the vegetable, seafood and soy sauce kinds. There is even a kimchi museum in Seoul. I cook up a serious batch of stir fried kimchi with sliced pork, red chili and garlic on the regular.

Live and direct from my kitchen. Recognize the realness............

• Please believe it. I LOVE kimchi and banchan. I get down with the Nabak Kimchi, Sokbakji and Soy Sauce Kimchi . The napa, the garlic, the apple, the shredded radish, the big cubes of radish, the parilla leaves, the squid, the little dried fish joints, the octopus, etc. There are actually close to 200 kinds if you include the vegetable, seafood and soy sauce kinds. There is even a kimchi museum in Seoul. I cook up a serious batch of stir fried kimchi with sliced pork, red chili and garlic on the regular.

how long it has to be kept to be fermented ?

Real deal kimchi is buried in the ground in ceramic pots and dug up a few weeks later.

• Real deal kimchi is buried in the ground in ceramic pots and dug up a few weeks later.
    :

• I used to work at a korean restaurant that made some great kim chi and played san il lum during work, nothing beats a tofu/kimchi bokumbap with bean sprouts a fried egg on top (these days i might pass on the fried egg). Now i have to look toward the local store for the stuff (the last jar was o.k. but i bought the same stuff a week later and it tasted totally different and was soggy and gross, i like that shit crisp) If anyone knows where to get good kimchi in chicago advice would be appreciated. I would kill for a decent jar of the white radish kimchi that my boss used to make.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I get down w/ sauerkraut (gotta start the new year right!), but I've never tried kimchi. Are there good brands to try? It does sound a little hit or miss.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Damn dude... You know a lot about kimchi!

My wife and I totally wanted to visit the kimchi museum when we went to Korea but I think it was closed or something.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

depends on temp. warmer is done in a week. colder can take months

I make kimchi and sauerkraut all the time. It's very good for you because it contains tons of good bacteria. It's really good for the stomach and liver.
    If any Bay headz are into this stuff let me know I've usually got a lot on hand.

It's easy to make but your garage or pantry will wind up smelling. I'm used to it but my roomates are always like "who farted? oh yeah it's just your food!"

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I'm pretty much down with any pickled vegetable.

• My favorite is kkaktugi, the cubed radish kind. So good.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    6 PM tonight! I have a dinner date with my friend pictured below!!

• I??m drooling over here. AIn??t no Korean food, or great Asian in general here in El Salvador, can??t wait for some bomb asian food.

My second girlfriend was Korean so she broke me with Korean food in general and honestly I wasn??t a big fan at all. But since then one my best friends as well as my current girl are Korean so we claypot it up on the regular.

man...my mouth is really watering over here.

this should be a korean food apreciation post[/b]

one dish I always try to get but I guess it??s sort of random and cutty is this dish that??s basically rice sticks. I??ve been told it??s mostly bar food or when you??ve been drinking all night and need something in the system. It??s pronounced something like

duck boo kee

• GARAGE REFRIDGERATOR MATERIAL

man ive had bad kimchee and those that say it dont go bad are fools. when u take a bite of it, and it fizzes like sodapop, that is what i like to call bad kimchee.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Please believe it. I LOVE kimchi and banchan. I get down with the Nabak Kimchi, Sokbakji and Soy Sauce Kimchi . The napa, the garlic, the apple, the shredded radish, the big cubes of radish, the parilla leaves, the squid, the little dried fish joints, the octopus, etc. There are actually close to 200 kinds if you include the vegetable, seafood and soy sauce kinds. There is even a kimchi museum in Seoul. I cook up a serious batch of stir fried kimchi with sliced pork, red chili and garlic on the regular.

Buta kimichi (pork with kimchi) =

• one dish I always try to get but I guess it??s sort of random and cutty is this dish that??s basically rice sticks. I??ve been told it??s mostly bar food or when you??ve been drinking all night and need something in the system. It??s pronounced something like

duck boo kee

wow. not bad. i dont know how to spell it either but phonically ur pretty close. they are also commonly refered to as "pinkies". try that. most places will have it as it is basically the official comfort food of korea. they prolly didnt understand you.

• one dish I always try to get but I guess it??s sort of random and cutty is this dish that??s basically rice sticks. I??ve been told it??s mostly bar food or when you??ve been drinking all night and need something in the system. It??s pronounced something like

duck boo kee

wow. not bad. i dont know how to spell it either but phonically ur pretty close. they are also commonly refered to as "pinkies". try that. most places will have it as it is basically the official comfort food of korea. they prolly didnt understand you.

LULZ!

Actually for a long time I would tell my girl ??yo, let??s cop some of the rice pinky things??

• It's been ages since I had kimchee (my father used to make it sometimes when I was in high school), that looks really good. I'll have to find a spot here to pick some up or learn to make it myself.

Easy? Time consuming?

• grandpa_shig's recipe for dope kimchee

1. get to know a ajuma
    2. go over to their house to eat
    3. leave with a mason jar of kimchee

CHALANDAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• almost every culture in the world has a pickled something or other. i happen to really like hakka style pickles. and umeboshis.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Have you guys had kimuchi nabe? Soooo damn good. Especially in winter:

• um, not to knock my own people, but a lot of the dishes mentioned here are japanese takes on korean food. which is basically watered down korean food. in fact, i remember a few years ago japan was trying to copyright kimchee or something.

um, not to knock my own people, but a lot of the dishes mentioned here are japanese takes on korean food. which is basically watered down korean food. in fact, i remember a few years ago japan was trying to copyright kimchee or something.

Uh-Oh. Japan trying to steal more shit from Korea and claim it as their own! LOL.

um, not to knock my own people, but a lot of the dishes mentioned here are japanese takes on korean food. which is basically watered down korean food. in fact, i remember a few years ago japan was trying to copyright kimchee or something.

Well, yeah...nabe is Japanese. But at some point someone just decided to put kimchi in it. Pretty good idea if you ask me.

• i am saying

kimuchi IS NOT gimchee

oh ok. fair enough then.
    (kimuchi nabe appreciation post coming up )

• yeah, japanese kimchee is like ketchup to hotsauce. dont get me wrong, i like it, but if i want that powerful shit its all about korea.

Funny thing, after reading this post I just noticed that I ran out of Kimchi! I needed some to put in the miso and tofu soup I have on the stove. I ran downstairs to the supermarket under my apartment. If you live in a real Asian hood you know the deal. Rep your local Kimchi experience. I snapped a picture when I ran down to the store. Here is some of the Kimchi at the market where I live....

• i dont see it in the pic but that korean red sauce paste stuff is the fucken tits in the summer with cucumber and radish sticks.

i dont see it in the pic but that korean red sauce paste stuff is the fucken tits in the summer with cucumber and radish sticks.

The Gochujang? 3 different kinds on the second row in the pic hommie.