What was it like back then.....

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Not sure I remember Dudleys, where were they and when did they open? Were they the one that was charging Goldmine prices while everyone else was $3?

They were right across the street from the central library, next to Fantasy's (the card and novelty
    shop). I probably first went there in like '84 or so but don't know how long they had been open
    by that point. Their prices were expensive but they mostly dealt in new/import stuff.

Route 66.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Not sure I remember Dudleys, where were they and when did they open? Were they the one that was charging Goldmine prices while everyone else was $3?

They were right across the street from the central library, next to Fantasy's (the card and novelty
    shop). I probably first went there in like '84 or so but don't know how long they had been open
    by that point. Their prices were expensive but they mostly dealt in new/import stuff.

What was that all import place called. The vinyl version of what Ozone was. Crazy $30 Cure records. That to me is so 80/90s, the Import Store. Get your Bauhaus on.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Route 66.

It turned into Route 66 at some point, in the early 90's I think.

• In the mid 80's (when I was about 7 years old) we used to pass around tdk casette tapes with pre-recorded tracks on them. The tapes used to go around like a few times, and everyone would keep it for a while cause the content was so dope.
    Hiphop you never heard before or otherwise couldnt get yer hands on was on it. I also remember hearing roxanne dissing roxanne and being confused about it, hearing rob base it takes two wich dj kool made famous in 1997 about 10 years after.. When I spun the shit in 89 only the older guys would breakdance.
    My fellow classmates listened to Bad by MJ. or worse. THE LAMBADA!
    Skooly D en stezo tracks, yeah that was dope. Those tdk D, AD, and SA tapes were the bomb! - I never thanked the guys/girls who recorded that shit on tape and passed it around. What would Ive listened to if it werent for them??? Milli Vanilli perhaps? Naw, You know that aint true..

Peace yalll!! :P:P:P

• btw. I see I have been promoted to "microwave popcorn"
    Does this mean I am a clown?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I guess I should add to this my mainland experiences during middle and high school. After moving, I was disappointed to find out that there were no decent record stores in the Tri-Cities, outside of stuff at malls like Tape City and Eli's. Well, Eli's was decent, and during high school it became the place I could find not only Slayer on vinyl, but also all the good hip-hop I wanted. I'm moving ahead of myself.

There was one store in Pasco though, called Licorice Donut. This was considered the "black store", with a great inventory of soul and dance music. I could find Cherrelle, Atlantic Starr, and O'Bryan along with ABC, Hall & Oates, and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The FGTH stuff is significant for me, because no store stocked their stuff. I was interested because of the Trevor Horn/Art Of Noise connection, so while a cover like "Relax" might be considered offensive to ultra-conservative Tri-Cities, I could find it there. I think I may have bought the 12" single for Andre Cymone's "The Dance Electric" in there, and I still have that one. Basically, as someone who discovered something new called BET, I was already a fan of soul music but now I could see Starpoint, Klymaxx, and everyone else, I could just go to Licorice Donut and get the records or cassettes. Licorice Donut moved from downtown Pasco to a Court Street location, across the street from what used to be Buttrey-Osco. It had been in Pasco for a long time (it was the spot my auntie bought all of her music from), and then for whatever reason they closed down. There is of course R&P, the only used record store here, but as far as new stuff, I had to wait for the "family trip" to Seattle, Portland, or Spokane, and Spokane only had Eli's at the time, no Tower.

Other than that, I would buy most of my tapes from Fred Meyer, Tape City, and Camelot, and 12" singles from Eli's. It was better for me to wait until we went out of town so I could stock up, even if at the time that meant three tapes and a 12" single or two.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Man this post is making me sad!!!! Seriously................. Those were the days. I remember records being everywhere. Jc penny, Woolworth, Pay n save, even the grocery store! True they had bins of old stock and lp's were 49 cents sealed. K Mart had an ill record dept. I remember buying Bernard Wright when it came out at DJ's sound city as a teenager and this bomb ass shorty rang me up. I couldn't stop thinking about her and I went back a few weeks later to see what was good. She wasn't there but it didn't stop me from asking about her. The dude working told me she had quit and moved out of town. A few months later who do I see in the new Big Daddy Kane video!!!! Wowsers I have never forgot about her. That spot on Lake City mentioned here was Gary Delmastro's Platters record shop. Strictly disco 12"s and funk 45's. I didn't know shit when I went into that place as a kid. I never once looked through the 45's and only bought a few 12"s. I can only imagine what was sitting there. I do remember the Beginning of the End Lp was always in the first bin for as long as I went there at least a 5 year time span. It was $1 too and no one ever bought it. I used to get an all day bus pass for 50cents on the weekends and hit all the record shops and now all I do is sit around in my underwear on the computer paying $100's of dollars for some weird record no one has heard of. How wack is that? Also, when I started bying 12" they were $1.98. I was in oakland visiting in the 90's and hit Leopolds and they were going out of business I dropped $600 on a ton of stuff all new sealed originals and DEL the Funky Homosapien rang me up!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Those were the days. I remember records being everywhere. Jc penny, Woolworth, Pay n save, even the grocery store! True they had bins of old stock and lp's were 49 cents sealed.

What's even weirder is that the classic '60s/early '70s sounds I saw in Woolworth's as a kid in the mid-late '70s were all gone by the time I was a teenager in the '80s (and knew a little bit more about that stuff).

By then, they still had bargain bins, but instead of obscure soul, the racks were now filled with obscure disco - all these second-rate Casablanca albums that didn't make it. Every now and then I'd strike paydirt (Otis Clay's I Can't Take It on Hi), but, to quote the Who, it was safe to say that "The Good's Gone."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Man this post is making me sad!!!! Seriously................. Those were the days. I remember records being everywhere. Jc penny, Woolworth, Pay n save, even the grocery store! True they had bins of old stock and lp's were 49 cents sealed. K Mart had an ill record dept. I remember buying Bernard Wright when it came out at DJ's sound city as a teenager and this bomb ass shorty rang me up. I couldn't stop thinking about her and I went back a few weeks later to see what was good. She wasn't there but it didn't stop me from asking about her. The dude working told me she had quit and moved out of town. A few months later who do I see in the new Big Daddy Kane video!!!! Wowsers I have never forgot about her. That spot on Lake City mentioned here was Gary Delmastro's Platters record shop. Strictly disco 12"s and funk 45's. I didn't know shit when I went into that place as a kid. I never once looked through the 45's and only bought a few 12"s. I can only imagine what was sitting there. I do remember the Beginning of the End Lp was always in the first bin for as long as I went there at least a 5 year time span. It was $1 too and no one ever bought it. I used to get an all day bus pass for 50cents on the weekends and hit all the record shops and now all I do is sit around in my underwear on the computer paying $100's of dollars for some weird record no one has heard of. How wack is that? Also, when I started bying 12" they were $1.98. I was in oakland visiting in the 90's and hit Leopolds and they were going out of business I dropped $600 on a ton of stuff all new sealed originals and DEL the Funky Homosapien rang me up!

I remember LakeCity as a suburb out beyond Ballard I had to ride the bus all day to get to. I never knew there were records there, much less good ones.

I started in 1960. I was 4. My uncle took me and my older bro and sis to the 5&dime, or maybe it was a grocery. They had a table with a big jumble of 45s. We each got to pick one. I got the Chipmunks Christmas Song (good record for a nice Jewish boy), my sister got Beep Beep by the Playmates (another novelty record) and My brother got Brook Benton singing the Bo Weevel plus with his own money Johnny Horton Battle Of New Orleans (these were not novelty songs at the time but would sound like it if you listened today). Every summer we would visit my grandmother and uncle and play those records over and over again along with my uncles Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Odetta, Pete Segger and Herb Albert Whipped Cream and Other Delights.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hooked On Classics + the trampoline.

Hey: I was 7. (The Sting OST for dayz)

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    ahhhh the good ol days when 12" and lp's were king..
    some high lights

meeting the jungle bros at my local in 89 they were all taking turns on the decks..
    going to the city when i was about 12 to buy planet rock 12"
    buying classic lp's everyweek... and i mean the brand nubians. lons epmd.... all with in weeks of each other...those were the days.. too bad i wasnt into digging back then doh.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    when i was in middle school my boy's mom used to work at music menu when they had a shop on pike, downtown. she laced me with all the africa bam and gm flash records.

i remember jay's downtown too. not a music store but they had a whole wall of kangols in all different styles and colors and all the fly hip hop gear.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Me and my peeps would hit up Rock-N-Soul, Downstairs Records, a couple of spots on Fordham Road in The Bronx, etc. Too many to recall.

But Rock-N-Soul was that shit, back when it was a House Music mecca w/ a side wall of Hip Hop and the dudes who worked there used to hatt on the Hip Hop kids.
    One dude was notorious for his disdain. Years later i used to cop Dance/Electronics singles from him at this place in the Village. The CD store that had a vinyl spot in the basement. Down the block from the Pink Pussy Cat. The name passes me.

Before that on 161st st in my hood, there was a Reggae Record Store called Deep Sound that used to carry some Hip Hop. I copped my The B-Boys Girls Part 2 Blue Vinyl from them in 85/86.

Yeah u could find out when the next deliveries were and run down to a spot and cop that new shit fresh out the box, run home a spin your shit.

This was before i was DJing. Just coppin for the love of the music, nuthin more.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It was all about Starship records & Tapes!

You mean Starsound???

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    First time I ever got taken to a record store...I guess I was somewhere around 10 years old...I remember wondering what all the feathered roach clips were for and being kinda freaked out by the devil horns sticking out from the cap of Angus Young on the cover of ACDC's Highway to Hell, which was the first record showing in the rack. I bought a Cheap Trick t-shirt and that was that.

Didn't start buying rap records until the 90's as during the 80's I was all into buying cassettes.