Issac Hayes VS. Barry White (Rapping)

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Issac Hayes: I???m bone-ified, socilitified, and qualified to doAnything your heart can stand, it all depends on youI???ll turn your world upside-downI???ll blow your mind to piecesYou???ll recommend me to your motha,Your sista, your aunts, and your niecesListed in the yellow pagesAll around the world30 years experienceAnd loving sweet young girls, just callGood love six-nine nine six-nineGood love six-nine nine six-nineGood love six-nine nine six-nineIt lay how good I make babyIs how I make it goodI???m the king of the woman???s worldThey tell it from town to townAnd when I find that deserving queenI???m gonna share my crownBut if the line is busyDon???t freak out or get nervousJust keep on dialing again and againUntil you get some service, callGood love six-nine nine six-nineGood love six-nine nine six-nineGood love six-nine nine six-nineI???ll send your temperature higherJust like a ball of fireNow listen to me baby just let your finger do the walking???Let Chef do the talking??? and the loving???You see I???m a backdoor man and I do the things your man fails to doI don???t know but I???ve been told by a, a player haterThat my bedroom is a disguised for a freak incubatorSo if you see a fine young woman, that can???t be satisfiedSend her over to my stableI???m a horny junction that loves to ride, so callGood love six-nine nine six-nineGood love six-nine nine six-nineGood love six-nine nine six-nineIt lay how good I make babyIs how I make it goodGood love six-nine nine six-nineCall me anytime,Good love six-nine nine six-nineRight now would be fine, call my numberGood love six-nine nine six-nineCall on meGood love six-nine nine six-nineLove gravy train, I ride ya on into gloryGood love six-nine nine six-nineLet???s get it onGood love six-nine nine six-nineLet???s get it on[/b] Barry WhiteI cant find his "Raps" in the lyrics searches, but dudes raps are cool. Hayes' By the Time I Get To Phoenix's long ass Intro rap is incredible. "But she was doin it..."Who do have and why?

Comments

• Barry White haa lot of whispers and luxury stuff goin' while Isaac stuff tends to be more varied ,

said this, I don't want but my favourite "rapper" in soul is Bobby Womack, hands down....

... the man delivery had a dynamic quality and usually the "tirade" was fast as a bullet, the first comes to mind is "woman got to have it" but there are countless more

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I dunno, i like em both as artists, but i also wish they would shut the fuck up most of the time.

I guess ill go with barry cause hayes reminds me of chef wayyy too much.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dunno, i like em both as artists, but i also wish they would shut the fuck up most of the time.

You sound white and young

• I dunno, i like em both as artists, but i also wish they would shut the fuck up most of the time.

way too young

Barry White haa lot of whispers and luxury stuff goin' while Isaac stuff tends to be more varied ,

Even if Barry kept it in the love zone, dude was preachin bout some real relationship issues. It's far more than "take your panties off' talk.

• I don't want but my favourite "rapper" in soul is Bobby Womack, hands down....

... the man delivery had a dynamic quality and usually the "tirade" was fast as a bullet, the first comes to mind is "woman got to have it" but there are countless more

That "Bobby Vs. The Record Industry" monologue that opened up "Close To You" (on Communication) is hall-of-fame material, right there!!

BACK ON TOPIC:[/b]

I have a preference for Ike, mainly because:
    (a) I never really got into Barry White, so he'd be out in the cold anyway;
    (b) There's a vulnerability to Ike that Barry didn't have...it's kind of endearing hearing Isaac tell his best friend's girl, of all people, that he has the hots for her even though he's morally wrong ("I Stand Accused"). Old boy had a sense of humor, too (listen to the between-song raps on Live At The Sahara Tahoe, which oughta turn up in a "best live albums" thread next time we go there).

I'm not even sure if the song Batmon quoted is the best example for Isaac, that seems more like a Barry White lyric to me!

I don't want but my favourite "rapper" in soul is Bobby Womack, hands down....

That "Bobby Vs. The Record Industry" monologue that opened up "Close To You" (on Communication) is hall-of-fame material, right there!!

(b) There's a vulnerability to Ike that Barry didn't have...it's kind of endearing hearing Isaac tell his best friend's girl, of all people, that he has the hots for her even though he's morally wrong ("I Stand Accused"). Old boy had a sense of humor, too (listen to the between-song raps on Live At The Sahara Tahoe, which oughta turn up in a "best live albums" thread next time we go there).

I'm not even sure if the song Batmon quoted is the best example for Isaac, that seems more like a Barry White lyric to me!

The lyrics from Good Love by Hayes is one of the influencial "raps" for the Hip Hop generation.

I think Barry White's vulnerability is quite high when he's trying to talk to his lady or a to woman in general.

Maybe we should just open this up. Millie Jackson can rap as well.

• Barry White haa lot of whispers and luxury stuff goin' while Isaac stuff tends to be more varied ,

Even if Barry kept it in the love zone, dude was preachin bout some real relationship issues. It's far more than "take your panties off' talk.

I hear you, bro'

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I don't want but my favourite "rapper" in soul is Bobby Womack, hands down....

The lyrics from Good Love by Hayes is one of the influencial "raps" for the Hip Hop generation.

I think Barry White's vulnerability is quite high when he's trying to talk to his lady or a to woman in general.

Maybe we should just open this up. Millie Jackson can rap as well.

I think Ike might be the best soul rapper.
    Others:
    James Brown (no slouch)
    Roberta Flack's rap that starts Rev Lee is a favorite
    Otis at Montery
    Rufus Thomas (Otis and Roberta might not count but Rufus is a [radio] mc and dj and can really lay down some talk.)
    There's a Dorothy Love Coates lp where she (or another singer) is hating on promoters (who want them to work for free because they are Christian), audiences and the best part where she is telling a junkie who asks her why God doesn't come cure him that God is far to busy to waste his time with some junkie who wont work to better himself. Sorry for the long sentence.
    Lots more in the gospel realm, but I'm blanking on soul artists.
    Betty Davis?

• I think Ike might be the best soul rapper.
    Others:
    James Brown (no slouch)
    Roberta Flack's rap that starts Rev Lee is a favorite
    Otis at Montery
    Rufus Thomas (Otis and Roberta might not count but Rufus is a [radio] mc and dj and can really lay down some talk.)
    There's a Dorothy Love Coates lp where she (or another singer) is hating on promoters (who want them to work for free because they are Christian), audiences and the best part where she is telling a junkie who asks her why God doesn't come cure him that God is far to busy to waste his time with some junkie who wont work to better himself. Sorry for the long sentence.
    Lots more in the gospel realm, but I'm blanking on soul artists.

Joe Tex - nuff said.

Betty Davis?

What song is she talking on?

Lots more in the gospel realm

That's a whole nother level...Shirley Caesar got some real talk.

James Brown - Mindpower......

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

way too young

lol guilty as charged

where does Marvin Gaye rank as a "rapper"

• where does Marvin Gaye rank as a "rapper"

only time i recall him talking on record was on "save the children" and even then it was more like a poetry recital than a "rap"

where does Marvin Gaye rank as a "rapper"

only time i recall him talking on record was on "save the children" and even then it was more like a poetry recital than a "rap"

What would A Funky Space Reincarnation qualify as?

• where does Marvin Gaye rank as a "rapper"

What would A Funky Space Reincarnation qualify as?

i guess when y'all said "rappers," I thought you meant like "sermons," ala millie, isaac, womack,"love jones," etc.. people just shootin their mouth off at random between verses (like marvin on "...reincarnation") never dawned on me

people just shootin their mouth off at random