Good Needles For Listening

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I know this gets asked frequently; hell, I think I'VE even poasted this thread before. But since our search engine is only going back but so long needs must I poast again.So, audiophiles, labcabin enthusiasts, sound scientists and connoisseurs of the finer thangs:What is a great needle for listening (NOT djing) purposes?Thanks and have a happy new year on The Soulstrut.

Comments

• i have yet to get a conclusive answer to this question either, but i have heard grados are pretty good, never listened with them though.

• I know this gets asked frequently; hell, I think I'VE even poasted this thread before. But since our search engine is only going back but so long needs must I poast again.

So, audiophiles, labcabin enthusiasts, sound scientists and connoisseurs of the finer thangs:

What is a great needle for listening (NOT djing) purposes?

Thanks and have a happy new year on The Soulstrut.

Grados are quite good and their prices run the gamut from affordable to audiophile baller. Plus, they're located in Brooklyn.

• Posed the question to an audiophile friend a few weeks ago and he suggested a Grado blue. Good sound, won't harm the vinyl.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I got a Grado. It's pretty sweet.

• Hmmm..Grado Prestige Blue thought about getting one but as always theres these reviews, "On the hate side:Loud rock music passages or fast moving modulations proved the Blue Prestige to be a weak tracker.The highs produced by electric guitars would often break up and crackle.Basically, anything with a tremendous amount of musical energy and bursts would really put the cartridge under duress or stress".

• I got a Grado. It's pretty sweet.

which kind ?

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    I ride for Ortofon all day. The sky is the limit when it comes to the price though, but there are a couple of really good budget HiFi and audiophile systems as well.

• i use a grado silver, i like it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I got it so long ago, I don't remember. Cost $35. The only thing I will say is my friend was playing with a Stanton recently and to my ears it was a little crisper sound quality.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Just to clarify, but is a good needle for "listening" the same as a good needle for transfers. Because I kinda want to upgrade my whole transfer rig and get a nice AD stage, so should I upgrade my 447's too?

• for a "mid-fi" turntable, my vote goes with the dynavector dv10x5 cartridge. not so cheap, but overall it's the best bang for the buck and should last you about five years if you take care of it.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

Type: Yokeless double ring magnet moving coil
    Frequency Response: 10-20,000Hz
    Output: 0.025mV
    Channel Seperation: >30dB
    Channel Balance: 0.5db @ 1kHz
    Tracking Force: 1.8-2.2g
    Dynamic Compliance: 15 X 10 -6 cm/dyne
    Internal Impedance: 7 ohms
    Load Impedance: >7 ohms
    Cantilever: Reinforced Aluminum
    Stylus: Ogura PA (3X30um) solid diamond
    Magnetic Material: Neodymium
    Weight: 7.5g
    Price: $3,499.99[/b]

• I got it so long ago, I don't remember. Cost $35. The only thing I will say is my friend was playing with a Stanton recently and to my ears it was a little crisper sound quality.

Both Stanton and Ortofons are notorious for record wear. Shures are better in that regard. Better sound output coupled with less record wear. Grados are crisper as well and claim to cause minimal wear on your vinyls.

• I have a nice audio technica - to be honest, I'm not sure what the model is because it came on a crap deck and I switched it out to a 1200 and there's no info on the actual cart.

It sounds great - however, my main problem with it is that [non-technical terminology alert] the kind of dangling needle on it, which I think contributes to the great sound, skips on even the most tiny speck of dust. Kind of bugs me

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I am very happy with this one:

Shure M97xE

There is another version which is fancier (comes in red), but was a bit out of my budget.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

Shure M97xE

I had one of these and they're nice, track really well, especially with the stablizer brush. I ended up selling it though just because I like the sound of my Shure whitelabels more, which are based on the same legendary V-15 series design, which was top of the line for many years and is no longer manufactured due to material shortages.

I think there's a huge difference in sound between Ortofon and Shure carts, the Ortofons always sound more crisp and like they're getting deeper into the groove, while Shure is more balanced. I've actually been thinking about picking up a pair of Ortofons to see if I like them better.

I don't know which Audio Technica you have but people really dig this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440ML-Dual-Moving-Magnet-Cartridge/dp/B00009MK3A

I won't buy from Grado because they are bastards who refused to sell products to the countrys on Bush's "Axis of Evil" list. Their headphones are real overrated too, built for people who want to kill their ears.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I have a Shure M94, which seemed like the smallest elliptical diamond I could get without paying a fortune. This was years ago, though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Shure M97xE

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    i dont know if this question has been answered but what turntabel do u have?

also will you be using this needle to record with..

• in the 80s i used audio technicas....

in the 90s i switched up to ortofons. they are great, sound great and last forever.

stay away from anything stanton. that stuff has always been crap, even for someone djing.

• I am very happy with this one:

Shure M97xE

are these compatible with 1200s? doesn't look like it...

Shure M97xE

Just pop it on a Technics headshell and you're good to go.

• I am very happy with this one:

Shure M97xE

Just pop it on a Technics headshell and you're good to go.

ah, ok. thanks for the quick post reply!

• I won't buy from Grado because they are bastards who refused to sell products to the countrys on Bush's "Axis of Evil" list. Their headphones are real overrated too, built for people who want to kill their ears.

I wasn't aware of the axis of evil list, but please explain the ear killing part? I was thinking of picking up some of their headphones...

and on the needle discussion I've been happy with my m97xe

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    grado green

I won't buy from Grado because they are bastards who refused to sell products to the countrys on Bush's "Axis of Evil" list. Their headphones are real overrated too, built for people who want to kill their ears.

I wasn't aware of the axis of evil list, but please explain the ear killing part? I was thinking of picking up some of their headphones...

and on the needle discussion I've been happy with my m97xe

I just find that except for their $500+ headphones, which I heard in some BS hifi store and thought sounded good, the lower end stuff sounds like putting guitar amps on your ears - punchy and loud midrange but not much clarity, detail, or soundstage. Just too muddy.

I'll take Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, or Ultrasones any day.

• I just find that except for their $500+ headphones, which I heard in some BS hifi store and thought sounded good, the lower end stuff sounds like putting guitar amps on your ears - punchy and loud midrange but not much clarity, detail, or soundstage. Just too muddy.

I'll take Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, or Ultrasones any day.

My entry level Grado sr60 headphones sound great, not muddy at all. My only complaint is they are very "open".

Dude, needles? Unless youre some audiophile a lot of brands offer needles for under $50 which will sound fine for anyone. I use an Audio Technica I got for $30.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    so much depends on the source. i have some 325i's along with gilmore lite headphone amp and its heaven.