early Paul C. stuff

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
can anyone school me on some pre-Super Lover and Ultramag Paul C. cuts??i've seen some Phase & Rhythm stuff...what are some required joints i need to hear?

Comments

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Beside the Critical Beatdown LP and the Organized Konfusion demo, i'm still bumping some his early work as i always was impressed with the quality of his drum-layering techniques.

Next Plateau carries a lot of goodies. "travelling at the speed of tought", "watch me now". "Give the drummer some" and "critical beatdown" are also on Next Plateau. There's "casanova's rap" on Tuff City. I had that one...There's a 12" called "i get rough" too. Pretty hard to find. As far as co-production goes, i'm not too familiar with his resume. But i kno he as also a mixer for a load of 12" and album cuts. I guess some scholars can enlight you better than me on that matter.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Also, "Let The Rythm Hit 'Em" is him. "Hangin' Out The Front Door" and "Think" is him too, according to Large P himself. "Ladies First", the old Latifah's jam, that's him. Add some work on the "Biz Never Sleeps" LP, a Too Poetic 12" on Tommy Boy named after the infamous break "God Made Me Funky". I think that the same dude from Gravediggaz but i might be wrong. He did some for Stezo on Sleeping Bag records, can't remember which ones tho'. And here's one of my fav i forgot about : Live N Effect Posse "I'm Getting Physical".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wasnt his discography posted her a minute ago.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    right now on ebay there are about 5-6 rare azz Paul C joints up fo grabs

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    kidinquisitive had a 12" for sale earlier this year, awesome stuff, I don't remember the name.

• -Heartbeat Brothers "Bring The Bassline"/"We Can Do This" (Elite, 1986)
    -Mikey D & The LA Posse "Bust A Rhyme Mike"/"My Telephone"/"Dawn" (Public, 1987)
    -Mikey D & The LA Posse "I Get Rough" (Public, 1987)
    -Mikey D & The LA Posse "Out Of Control"/"Comin In The House" (Sleeping Bag, 1988)
    -Marauder & The Fury "Get Loose Mother Goose" (Public, 1987)
    -Marauder & The Fury "Terminator" (Public, 198?)
    -The Rangers "I'm Hot"/"Jacks On Crack" (Woojoon, 198?)
    -Freddy B & The Mic Masters feat. Captain G Whiz "We're Back Y'all/"Coolin On The Ave" (Tuff City, 1987)
    -Captain G Whiz "It's Hyped"/"All The Way Live" (Tuff City, 1987)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "Do The James" (Citi Beat, 1987)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "Do The James" (DNA International, 1987)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "Do The James" (Polydor, 1988)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "I Got A Good Thing"/"Gets No Deeper (DNA/Elektra, 1988)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "Supercasanova" (Citi Beat, 1988)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "Supercasanova" (DNA International, 1988)
    -Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud "Girls I Got Em Locked" LP (DNA International, 1988)
    -Ultramagnetic MCs "Give The Drummer Some"/"Moe Luv's Theme" (Next Plateau, 1988)
    -Ultramagnetic MCs "Critical Beatdown" LP *Uncredited mixing/engineering* (Next Plateau, 1988)
    -Live N Effect Posse "I'm Getting Physical"/"We've Got To Get Paid"/"We Got A Message In Our Music"/"I'm A Soulman" (Excellent Choice, 1988)
    -Kev E Kev & Ak B "Keep On Doin" (DNA, 1988)
    -Kev E Kev & Ak B "Listen To The Man (DNA, 1988)
    -Phase & Rhythm "Brainfood"/"Hyperactive" (Funky Tune, 1988)
    -Phase & Rhythm "Brainfood"/"Hyperactive" (Tommy Boy promo, 1988)
    -Black By Demand "Can't Get Enough"/"All Rappers Give Up" (Tommy Boy, 1988)
    -Spicey Ham "Sex, Sex & More Sex"/"You Never Heard Of Me and I Never Heard Of You (BBoy, 1988)
    -Freak L "Line For Line"/"When The Pen Hits The Paper" (Urban Rock, 1989)
    -Main Source "Think"/"Atom" (Actual, 1989)
    -360?? "Pelon" (Pelon, 1988)
    -Black, Rock & Ron "True Feelings" (RCA, 1989)
    -Black, Rock & Ron "Stop The World" LP (Supreme, 1989)
    -Stezo "Crazy Noise" LP (Sleeping Bag, 1989)
    -Too Poetic "God Made Me Funky"/"Poetical Terror" (Tommy Boy, 1989)
    -MC Outloud "Clean And Sober"/"Put A Hurten" (TriBoro, 1989)
    -Biz Markie "Biz Never Sleeps" LP (Cold Chillin, 1989)
    -Queen Latifah "Ladies First" (Tommy Boy, 1989)
    -Simply Too Positive Demo
    -Eric B & Rakim "Let The Rhythm Hit Em" LP (MCA, 1989
    Sport G & Mastermind - Live
    Sport G & Mastermind - Louder
    Double Delight & DJ Slice Nice - Party Jump
    Two Shades of Black - Surrender
    G Dane - Coolest of the Cool
    YSL & D Dubb - No Stoppin
    Heartbeat Brothers - Growing Up
    Heartbeat Brothers - Bring the Bassline/We can Do This
    SOLO - Rappers on a Mission

this is nearly a full discography of the joints he was assoicated with with one way or another,hope this helps my fave being stezo"s "to the max" i can listen to that all day long and it still sounds as good as the first time i heard it in 89.

• my fave being stezo"s "to the max" i can listen to that all day long and it still sounds as good as the first time i heard it in 89.

this is also one of my fave joints from back in the day that always seems to get left out of old school sets. really i just think it wasnt common enough for people but it always works. my friends knew it as well.

• ...There's a 12" called "i get rough" too. Pretty hard to find.

The Mikey D & LA Posse 12's are all easily picked up for cheap, at least online.

• right now on ebay there are about 5-6 rare azz Paul C joints up fo grabs

word. shit is craaazy:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Paul-C-Vintage-Canva...1QQcmdZViewItem

hostyle...brainfood got rereleased on tommy boy???? or are you thinking of their second 12?

• i cut and pasted the list from somewhere else so i couldnt tell you if tommy boy were ever going to release hyperactive/brainfood but if they were any promos/test presses im sure they would of turned up by now