Recommend me a "starter" synth.

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Um, I started a thread like this on Gear Slutz but I just wanted to get another perspective. I'm looking to get a synth to learn the basics on. I've only owned a Microkorg in the past and programming that thing really turned me off from learning anything. I'm okay with a slight learning curve but nothing too bad. I think dedicated controls for each parameters would be a plus and having as little menus as possible would help me out. A tabletop or rack synth should be fine and I'm looking to spend around $1000. As much as I would like to get a used analog synth, living in Hawaii makes it difficult to get them repaired so I would like to steer away from that unless it's something I could reliably fix on my own.So far I've been recommended the Moog Little Phatty a bunch but my only concern with the Moog is paying a premium for analog (duh) and the Moog name. It looks really easy to use but I think it would probably be better as a future purchase once I learn more. Any thoughts?I was also looking at the Dave Smith Mono Evolver keyboard which looked pretty good to me. I wanted to get the tabletop edition but the keyboard edition has so many more knobs so I think I would have a lot easier time using it.Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. I wanna narrow this down soon so I can spend my time using a synth instead of researching them

Comments

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    my girlfriend found me a Roland SH-09 this summer, reeeally basic synth and i'm really starting to get a good understanding of what every knob and slider does. it can do most of the stuff you'd want, too. however, they are 'vintage' so that might not help you out much. i'd recommend it to anybody trying to get into synth control though.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    my girlfriend found me a Roland SH-09 this summer

nice find, I wish my girlfriend 'found' me stuff like that. Roland SH-101 is a great synth as well, I will champion that one for a long while. Old analogues are great (sound and ease of use), but they can be finicky.

nice find, I wish my girlfriend 'found' me stuff like that.

oh, but she did "find" it. it was at goodwill and she had no idea what it was, called me, described it, and then asked if it was worth $29.99. guess what i said.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

nice find, I wish my girlfriend 'found' me stuff like that.

oh, but she did "find" it. it was at goodwill and she had no idea what it was, called me, described it, and then asked if it was worth $29.99. guess what i said.

I'd take a find of that sort any day. That kind of gear just doesn't pop up like that around here anymore. Once upon a time a mint echoplex could be had for $75, now not so much.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    No too up on this stuff for the last couple of years, but the Alesis Ion, and Korg Ms2000 would be good places to start as far as new gear. For older stuff check out vintagesynth.com. Some imporant features: how many oscillators, what types oscillators, and how many voices.

• iive been lookin at those korg poly 800 'z
    nnd i haer thaere is goin to be sosme softwaer comin out soon, with a bunch of updated sounds and all that jiyve.

thaer only round 200 -250
    (also; i have a few synths but, if anyone has one thay
    want to sell for less than 250 lemme knio!.. i kno
    that rarely happens but. Or info on waer i mite b
    able to obtain this new softwear for the korg poly 800)

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Um, I started a thread like this on Gear Slutz but I just wanted to get another perspective. I'm looking to get a synth to learn the basics on. I've only owned a Microkorg in the past and programming that thing really turned me off from learning anything.

I'm okay with a slight learning curve but nothing too bad. I think dedicated controls for each parameters would be a plus and having as little menus as possible would help me out. A tabletop or rack synth should be fine and I'm looking to spend around $1000. As much as I would like to get a used analog synth, living in Hawaii makes it difficult to get them repaired so I would like to steer away from that unless it's something I could reliably fix on my own.

So far I've been recommended the Moog Little Phatty a bunch but my only concern with the Moog is paying a premium for analog (duh) and the Moog name. It looks really easy to use but I think it would probably be better as a future purchase once I learn more. Any thoughts?

I was also looking at the Dave Smith Mono Evolver keyboard which looked pretty good to me. I wanted to get the tabletop edition but the keyboard edition has so many more knobs so I think I would have a lot easier time using it.

Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. I wanna narrow this down soon so I can spend my time using a synth instead of researching them

I think any of the Nord Lead tabletops (I got a NL 2 a few years back for about 800 USD) would be a good choice: it's got rich, "authentic" analog-type sound for a VA synth, features tons of knobs, and is built like a tank. Probably my favorite synth.

If you don't like menus, stay away from the Evolver tabletop. The key version looks great, though.

used microkorg

I've only owned a Microkorg in the past and programming that thing really turned me off from learning anything.

• iive been lookin at those korg poly 800 'z
    nnd i haer thaere is goin to be sosme softwaer comin out soon, with a bunch of updated sounds and all that jiyve.

thaer only round 200 -250
    (also; i have a few synths but, if anyone has one thay
    want to sell for less than 250 lemme knio!.. i kno
    that rarely happens but. Or info on waer i mite b
    able to obtain this new softwear for the korg poly 800)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Korg-Poly-800-Synt...ksid=p1638.m122

- J