RICHIE HAVENS

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
We were talking in the (most recent) Curtis Mayfield thread about his unorthodox guitar picking, and that got me thinking about Havens. Overrated Woodstock icon or underrated folk-rocker due for rediscovery? Discuss!As for me...Havens is alright. I don't feel like I need his entire discography (I'm happy with the two albums I've got), but when he was on, he was on. Saw him live a few years ago, and he tore it up. And his version of "Here Comes The Sun" (his only hit single) is every bit as good as the Beatles.One question, to anyone who might know: Havens' guitar style is basically open bar chords, with the guitar tuned to one key. With that in mind, how does this man negotiate a sitar (which he has also been known to play)???

Comments

• he is a rock solid rhythm player...his cameo in i'm not there doing "tombstone blues" was pretty cool. definitely not overrated, if anything under-appreciated.

• Was this at Old Town?

• His version of LAmont Dozier disco classic Going Back To My Rooots is up there with the original as well.

• Was this at Old Town?

Yes, that was where I saw him.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    His version of LAmont Dozier disco classic Going Back To My Rooots is up there with the original as well.

That's what I came in this thread to say. I'm not a big fan otherwise. He has his moments and all, but this is the only joint I ever feel like listening to.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I ride for this later LP

• I ride for this later LP

Interestingly enough, I once saw an A&M promo sampler aimed at soul stations. One of the tracks was by Havens. Was he trying for a soulish sound on this LP?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I ride for this later LP

Interestingly enough, I once saw an A&M promo sampler aimed at soul stations. One of the tracks was by Havens. Was he trying for a soulish sound on this LP?

Crossover.....solid LP that's not really folk or soul.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    "richie havens' record" on douglas from 196? has a beautiful song called "it hurts me", it's sung by richie and paul williams. it sounds like it's from 64 or so,it has a great back-beat, organ and guitar w/ paul and richie KILLING IT on the vocals.

peace,xavier

p.s- i ride for richie havens.