Debut LP's That Weren't All That Impressive

2»

Comments

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    (which was apparently aborted cuz Lauryn Hill was supposed to contribute a verse and had never heard of him! he did a little rap on the tape where he was instructing Lauryn to put her verse down)

Wait, she didn't do a verse on the song just because she never heard of Fela? If so, that's a really bad look. Please to explain this a little more.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    pickwicks posts kind of make me wish i hated voodoo

lol @ tokenized R&B

• pickwicks posts kind of make me wish i hated voodoo

lol @ tokenized R&B

Tokenized, hell - mainstream R&B can be just as lame as any ten "mallternative" bands from Fall Out Boy on down. Just 'cause D'Angelo added a few experimental touches to Voodoo, we're supposed to think he sold out to the backpackers? Curtis Mayfield had psychedelic effects (read: "rock") all over his first solo album, and Soul Strut has a Curtis tribute thread every week the Lord sends. (Not that he doesn't deserve it...)

• pickwicks posts kind of make me wish i hated voodoo

lol @ tokenized R&B

Tokenized, hell - mainstream R&B can be just as lame as any ten "mallternative" bands from Fall Out Boy on down. Just 'cause D'Angelo added a few experimental touches to Voodoo, we're supposed to think he sold out to the backpackers? Curtis Mayfield had psychedelic effects (read: "rock") all over his first solo album, and Soul Strut has a Curtis tribute thread every week the Lord sends. (Not that he doesn't deserve it...)

• about 3 amazing songs, but some filler in there too

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    (which was apparently aborted cuz Lauryn Hill was supposed to contribute a verse and had never heard of him! he did a little rap on the tape where he was instructing Lauryn to put her verse down)

Wait, she didn't do a verse on the song just because she never heard of Fela? If so, that's a really bad look. Please to explain this a little more.

Word from dude who had the demo was that she didn't know Fela and hence the collabo never occurred

I didn't know that it later resurfaced w/Macy - I'm way too scurred of her to bother checking it out though

• I didn't really like Radiohead's Pablo Honey all that much.

Great call. Totally different band. Who coulda seen something like In Rainbows coming from these guys??

• perhaps "Boy" by U2 ?

The first from leon thomas and maybe the first from Leon ware too

• I think Brown Sugar[/b] and Voodoo[/b] are two very distinct albums, and had he continued to record on a regular basis instead of... who knows what he's doing at this point (other than making court appearances). His first album is great, second album is great, and they are miles away from each other, and sadly he has yet to follow that up in any significant way. Countless, arguably worthless artists have come and gone in the time he's trying to come up with something new. A lot of artists out there wish they had the luxury to wait eight years between albums.

Anyway, for me:

• I didn't really like Radiohead's Pablo Honey all that much.

Great call. Totally different band. Who coulda seen something like In Rainbows coming from these guys??

That's another one. Unfortunately for me, I cut myself off from Radiohead after this album, and now I'm having to catch up on what I missed. But that's a perfect example.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Really?