expensiver records not worth their price

heydayheyday 6 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Hey Im new to soulstrut. How yall doin? I really like all the posts ive read on this site. Love the reviews, everything really. I was thinkin about records that ive picked up recently for cheap ass prices that i know go for alot more. An example of this is Peggie Blue's I Got Love. I was in dustygroove about a month ago and came across it thinking it looked like there might be some funky ass disco shit on it. Cause it was marked at like 35 bucks i figure thered probably be good at least one good track. I listened to it and was like wtf and passed it up. Later on at another store I found it for 5 and thought fuck it ill get it and give another shot, maybe ill end up liking that light cheesy ass disco shit in a few years, if not ill just sell the shit and make back some cash. Anyways, if anyone has similar stories id be down to hear em. Peace heyday

Comments

• hi heyday, very good first post waelcome. i've had experiences like this many many times. i think for music to really resonate with you a certain sequence of life experiences need to happen previously. for example love songs will not touch you very deeply if you've got no experience in love. maybe a song was playing in a movie or while trauma happened to you. reminds you of something, etc. but from my experiences records that command big money are usually pretty good but i'm just not ready to hear them yet. maybe they are just very rare or people want them for cover art? peace, stein. . .

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I'm doing good man, but as far as your thread .

- spidey

• whats the fucks that gotta do with breaks? im just talkin about the over all sound of the tracks on the record to me. i just really like some of the funkier ever hittin shit thats all.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    off topic, but is that word in the thread title really "expensiver?"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Coining new strut terminology in his first post is most defiinitely

Coining new strut terminology in his first post is most defiinitely

Whatever dude - I'm gonna go hang out in the "how much
    should it cost to ship a single LP to the Netherlands from
    Canada?" thread over at Waxidermy. Much cooler. Laters.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I'm doing good man, but as far as your thread .

- spidey

???? We have this discussion on the Board at least twice a year. It's a topic custom-built for SStrut if there ever was one.

• no record is too expensive when you are rich like me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

???? We have this discussion on the Board at least twice a week[/b]. It's a topic custom-built for SStrut if there ever was one.

Still... it's often entertaining, no?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

???? We have this discussion on the Board at least twice a week[/b]. It's a topic custom-built for SStrut if there ever was one.

Still... it's often entertaining, no?

lol - yes it is and informative, too!

• dustygroove

dustygroove

dustygroove

dustygroove

There are so many things that get factored into a records price at any one time (rarity, demand, genre, condition, price fishing, a super high auction close 3 years ago that got logged on popsike, etc.) that "good" is relative and only a part of the equation.

An example is I run into that James Tatum "Jazz Mass" record a lot. I don't care for that record and think it's not "good". People who over and over again pay $200+ think otherwise. I do think it's "good" when I run into one and can sell it.

I also think that Peggie Blue record sucks but I also know I got a mint one less than three feet from me right now that I would trade/sell in a heartbeat for something I felt was "good".

Welcome to the board.

Peace,
    MCF

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

An example is I run into that James Tatum "Jazz Mass" record a lot. I don't care for that record and think it's not "good".

we will disagree on this point until the cows come home!!!!!!
    that record is brilliant!
    hope everything is good with you!!!

• My sentiments exactly. Thanks for the reply.

• Hell with the cows, when you come home we can armwrestle over it. Winner gets to be the official Motor City tastemaker and overrule any dissenting opinion of what is "good" and what is "cat shit".

Everything's good here, sorry I haven't called you back, been in a retail frenzy for about two weeks.

MCF

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    i just really like some of the funkier ever hittin shit thats all.

I like your style--please continue to poast.

please continue to poast morer.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Winner gets to be the official Motor City tastemaker

• Winner gets to be the official Motor City tastemaker

You were left out on purpose - I am purging the word "stepper" and those who use it from the Inner Circle.

Soon you will strictly be

MCF

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    whatever, Ferndale Funk...

• whatever, Ferndale Funk...

That's Mr. Ferndale Funk[/b] to you.

MCF

• Respecognize son!! You live in ferndale? Man that shoe shop octane and illite own is bananas! Ish is expensive and puts a deficit in my already fucked up budget for records. Also, anybody's up in here lookin for Roland Hayne's 2nd Wave on some trade shit? Git at me!!