"Great" Kanye interview

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    you sound wicked[/b] white ass-hurt.

totally dude

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

i dont understand people that hate on dude. hes just getting you talking!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    only in Kanye's world is Edwin Birdsong white

• free from context, what I'm seeing is a man who sees every aspect of life as one determined by race. that's not true, and a persecution complex is a weak, irresponsible way to deal with life's problems.

• free from context, what I'm seeing is a man who sees every aspect of life as one determined by race. that's not true, and a persecution complex is a weak, irresponsible way to deal with life's problems.

yes, black amercians, shrug off your blackness and start dealing with life's problems with a fresh new step! institutional racism only exists if you let it fog up your lense.

• only in Kanye's world is Edwin Birdsong white

I figured he was just joking.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    SPIN: You were only seven when Thriller peaked. Was Michael Jackson on your radar when --
    KANYE: [Stares incredulously] Was Michael Jackson on my radar?! I'm black.
    This made me laugh out loud. It's like the punchline to the entire interview.

• kanye's not too bright.

• lense

what does this mean?
    perspective.

but I guess I'm just expressing the feelings I felt a long way back when Kanye made that telethon comment in the first place. Maybe it's because I come from a completely different place, but that sort of perspective seems regressive and selfish to me.

media game on lock.no questions. the world still turns ..so i could honestly not give a fuckk..out of curiousity..does george bush really help blacks in this country..or better yet since class is an issue as well,poor people in general ?

• I'm a pop enigma.

how's that exactly?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    SPIN: You were only seven when Thriller peaked. Was Michael Jackson on your radar when --
    KANYE: [Stares incredulously] Was Michael Jackson on my radar?! I'm black.

Spin sounds old. Do they not know that every kid who could walk and talk in 1983 had Thriller on smash all day every day? Kanye could have said, "On my radar? I was a kid who listened to music!"

yes, black amercians, shrug off your blackness and start dealing with life's problems with a fresh new step! institutional racism only exists if you let it fog up your lense.

yeah, you're right, continuing to divide your entire life along racial lines is sure to eradicate the institutional racism you loathe so much

how foolish of me

edit: let me just explain what the hell I mean because I don't think trading weak-ass sarcastic one-liners really explains my point: if you're going to categorically divide things based on race, how is integration (the eradication of racism) supposed to work? is it just a one-way street where white people aren't supposed to view black culture as foreign, or should black people play a part in seeing that society's problems are often all-inclusive? if kanye has as much trouble clearing a sample as the verve, is sample-clearing a problem for 'black' musicians or just musicians in general?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I heard Kanye's opinions on race relations do indeed represent the opinions of all African Americans.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    only in Kanye's world is Edwin Birdsong white
    yr assuming he believes in racial essentiallism too ... context matters.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    if you're going to categorically divide things based on race, how is integration (the eradication of racism) supposed to work? is it just a one-way street where white people aren't supposed to view black culture as foreign, or should black people play a part in seeing that society's problems are often all-inclusive?

Your whole premise sounds poor. Why is integration into some monolithic mainstream culture (read: WHITE) the goal? I think in general. the idea is simple common respect for people different than yourself.

You're basically saying that by talking about race, people are encouraging racism (IF WE IGNORE IT WILL GO AWAY, SHHHHHHHHHHHH).

If your not trying to hear people talk about race and racism, you might be part of the problem.

• i dont understand people that hate on dude. hes just getting you talking!

in the words of someone ten times blacker and talented, we call that "talkin loud and ain't sayin nothin"

in the words of someone ten times blacker and talented, we call that "talkin loud and ain't sayin nothin"

Ten Times Blacker

explain

and are you black

Ten Times Blacker

explain

and are you black

if you take pictures of james brown and kayne to the paint department in your local walmart, you'll see that james brown is literally at least ten shades blacker than kanye despite what his last name might imply.

and no, i'm not black.

Ten Times Blacker

explain

and are you black

if you take pictures of james brown and kayne to the paint department in your local walmart, you'll see that james brown is literally at least ten shades blacker than kanye despite what his last name might imply.

and no, i'm not black.

• Kanye is one annoying idiot. Fuck him and his bullshit politics.

• dude has the media game on lock. very very clever fellow. peace, stein. . .

he's a genius at that shit.

• how many of yall believe that people of color can not be racist ? not prejudiced...racist.

• how many of yall believe that people of color can not be racist ? not prejudiced...racist.

so the question is can black people be prejudiced against other races...but not racist.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The interview kind of reminds me of Pere Ubu, who had all these rules that were intended to help them avoid being another white band that ripped of black music - they weren't allowed to bend their guitar strings, or sing bended notes.

• Your whole premise sounds poor. Why is integration into some monolithic mainstream culture (read: WHITE) the goal?
    Because the notion that mainstream culture is 'white' culture is completely ignorant. If I meant white culture I would have said it, mainstream culture is an amalgamation of the contributions of different cultures. If mainstream culture were white culture, you wouldn't have pop stars of every shade from so many disparate parts of the world.

I think in general. the idea is simple common respect for people different than yourself.
    And disregarding food on the basis that it's 'white' is respectful?

You're basically saying that by talking about race, people are encouraging racism (IF WE IGNORE IT WILL GO AWAY, SHHHHHHHHHHHH).
    No, by dividing everything by race you're exacerbating the problem. There's a difference between acknowledging difference in race and defining everything by it.

• I'm a pop enigma.

as a tastemaker, I find the best of everything.

What a tool.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    people taking this interview seriously make me laugh

• people taking this interview seriously make me laugh
    I like how you're so above it that you've taken time out of your day to comment on it twice. real cool.

• btw
    looks like the original poster omitted less obvious parts of the interview from between this spin interview sample. kanye personally writing to fagen for sample clearance, and more about the race/sample thing. id much more prefer to see a discussion about those parts in context.