X-mas weekend finds

fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
found some today and these 45s and i can finaly poast these (utrecht finds).

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    More Latin 45 action:

• nice stuff, rey rey

• cool -- some nice stuff in this thread...

here's some trades i got from a few guys here on soulstrut:

on first listen the BALTIK sounds pretty good meaty drums to go with the dodgy fusion rock. and the DICK HYMAN is a brilliant moog album ...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I won't be expecting this to happen again. By far my best haul ever. I guess when you keep your head up, good things do happen once in a while.

I'm listening to the Full Force record right now.... And it looks like some Japanese dudes reissued this?

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Nice finds. I still need that Axelrod to make my collectro cypher complete (oh the irony!).

I found a few things the last couple weeks. Tyrone Washington "Roots" for a buck at the thrift was cool.

• Found this a few days ago. Real nice Japanese pop psych LP sung in English from 1973. Hand numbered #68/100. Anybody know this one?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Have you ever seen a vinyl bag?

Also today I got this record (and book). I haven't heard it yet

Is it or are people ???

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    I won't be expecting this to happen again. By far my best haul ever. I guess when you keep your head up, good things do happen once in a while.

I'm listening to the Full Force record right now.... And it looks like some Japanese dudes reissued this?
    really your best haul ever?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Yup. I'm certainly not mad about paying 70bucks for nearmint promos.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    That's pretty nice solid haul for SoCal Yuichi, one store or what? I got that Clifford Jordan for cheap on Thursday, too.

During the end of this week I topped off my killer buys (shhhh!) with a 250 piece remainder buy from a local seller (What up C***s!), and brought home a nice solid 100+ piece haul today, too. Pix later. I think I only missed out on one 1910 Fruitgum Co. non-raer, hah.

Swoopin down on fools as usual, but the real raer was a lovely pork crown roast from the quality meats shop, EX+ condition, gotta run out and grab some more ingredients for brining starting tonite.

Oh yah age I got the trade too! THX dude!

Pix soon, I promise.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    James is black label OG.....Joey is sealed.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I won't be expecting this to happen again.

Dude.....nice score....that Peter Ivers LP is great.

Mark, yea man. Totally hit or miss sshhh spot that i drop in from time to time. usually but

Rich, yea, that Peter Ivers and Full Fource are my favorites so far.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    niiice..that's quality mayne! I still need that Pete Ivers, too

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Dropping $70 on those records is what you call your best haul ever? Man, people aren't messin around when they say LA is dry for records.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    finished Christmas shopping, and bought myself a few local presents:

I-Roy isn't really a "Best of" but a 1977 LP , JA OG, and it is
    Mavis Staples is great, never seen this one before that I remember, '68
    Volt session with some killer covers, including Marin Gaye's "Chained"
    Andy Robinson is a winner, although half of it is great folk rock with
    some "psych moves" and half is awful whimpy folk. Been looking for the
    Julie Driscoll "1969" LP for a while now, finally got a cheap UK OG in
    fantastic shape, for under $20. Really a hell of an album, and slept on.

So many France Gall EP's to choose from, just grabbed one:

and I also picked up a little something for my Christmas Eve radio gig:

Merry Christmas:

• Been looking for the Julie Driscoll "1969" LP for a while now, finally got a cheap UK OG in fantastic shape, for under $20. Really a hell of an album, and slept on.

Agreed, wonderful LP (I've listened to this LP much more than I've ever listened to Streetnoise).

I don't know if you're aware that there are 2 early UK presses. The OG from 1971 and a reissue from 1972. Second press should be half the value of the first and I'm sure a few sellers sell the '72 press believing they are selling an OG.

Doesn't matter for $20....a bargain either way.

• Dropping $70 on those records is what you call your best haul ever? Man, people aren't messin around when they say LA is dry for records.

Jesus give the kid a break.

Dude got some great records, in nice condition, for a good price. I would've bought the lot for $70 too - could've doubled up just on Silk and Joe Pass.

If I found records that good in Santa Cruz I might come down there more often

• just came home from portugal yesterday.. was in lisboa & algarve, got a couple of records plus a kalimba, and many different types of percussion instruments.. but most of the records are bought earlier in december.

ah, i also got this book written by ian carr(nucleus) in my mailbox yesterday. tons of good pictures in it, and a very deep discography on all the persons involved in their projects.. will start to read it soon.

• ah, i also got this book written by ian carr(nucleus)

Big NZ connection to Nucleus strangely enough... one of my first saxophone teachers was Brian Smith who played on Plastic Rock and the drummer from the bebop quartet I was in after graduating music school was Roger Sellers, the drummer from the mid 70's onwards.... Think he's got 3 Nucleus LPs in is discography. He's had a complete 180 on what he now calls 'straight music' - as in anything where the drums are playing 8th / 16th notes instead of a swing groove he can't stand.... mind you he did cut his teach playing in the house band at Ronnie Scotts so I guess he has swing in his veins. Roger used to tell some pretty crazy stories about their road trips though...

Unfortunately the live musi cscene here is in pretty poor shape so there are next to zip chances to see these guys play... when they do though it's a bit mind boogling how good they are... best gigs I've seen them play are with keyboard heavies Mike Nock (anorther expat Kiwi) and Andrew Hill - man that was a deep gig.

• all those percussion bits look fun, Fred. nice finds there...

here's a few pre-xmas records:

the SMITH is great - althogh "i just wanna make love to you" is the obvious stand out track. the OSANNA is great, but just a dodgy bootleg. i'd never heard it properly before so im enjoying that. the SOFT MACHINE is some sort of live recording from 67 when Kevin Ayers was still with them...

the lone 45 is HERMAN DUNE - "i wish that i could see you soon" -- pretty girly but a great song nonetheless

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Dropping $70 on those records is what you call your best haul ever? Man, people aren't messin around when they say LA is dry for records.

Jesus give the kid a break.

Dude got some great records, in nice condition, for a good price. I would've bought the lot for $70 too - could've doubled up just on Silk and Joe Pass.

If I found records that good in Santa Cruz I might come down there more often

Whoa, that was excessively harsh on my part, I think I wasn't paying attention and mixed up those bottom two records with others. Modern Soul isn't my thing but the Silk and Full Fource are real nice pulls and honestly if it we're over $15 I'd have slept on the Silk. And it is always good for people to drop real money in record stores, none of this $1 or $100, baller or nothing at all syndrome that you mentionned in the other thread. My bad Yuichi, for real.

And No, No records in Santa Cruz.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    what is this.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    thats nice.
    but do you have the apparatus to play it

• i do not. but i also buy books and 8tracks for dust collecting purposes.

• awesome!

too bad cuz those cylinder machines are kinda cool to see operate. dude that sold me the cylinder had a working machine so i watched him crank it
    watched it roll