Jewel Records Appreciation...

bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
The Cincy label...What good?These are:What else?

Comments

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Dumpy Rice is not so hot.
    I got another 45 that's downright terrible on the label.

• I think this is the same Jewel that had rockabilly singer Rusty York ("Sugaree" was his big near-hit).

• Yeah, there's alot of Rockabilly on this label and gospel.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think the New Expression lp is on Jewel... though I've read pretty mixed reviews. I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of other psych records. LOTS of lame Christian records.

• Funny you bring this up - I asked Rusty York (Jewel owner) about any confusion with the better-known Jewel in Shreveport, and he said both Jewels knew about each other but just kept going anyway. I wonder if the two Sugarhills have the same arrangement.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Anybody got an mp3 of the Soul Medics they can post?

Good tune that I don't own. Who wants to trade me a copy?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

The Gospel is where it's at on Jewel. I grew up on those joints.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

bill moss and the violinaires were on the OTHER Jewel, i thought...did they record for both? i just got a Bill Moss 45 on the other jewel about a week ago. pretty decent funky gospel.

• bill moss and the violinaires were on the OTHER Jewel, i thought...did they record for both? i just got a Bill Moss 45 on the other jewel about a week ago. pretty decent funky gospel.

That link you sent there got the two Jewels confused. There's some records in that discography that are obviously from the Louisiana Jewel.

Anyway, to keep confusion (and thread derailment) down, this is the thread where where we were talking about the other Jewel with the Meditation Singers and Alex Williams & the Mustangs: http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post1015308

• Yeah, I compiled much of that discog before I realized they were two different labels. Doesn't help that they both used the LPS- prefix. Anyway, I'll correct any screw-ups mentioned here.