JEWEL/RONN/PAULA APPRECIATION

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Just gotta show some love for one of the finest record labels that Shreveport, Louisiana and the chitlin'-circuit had to offer!!- Little Johnny Taylor- Ted Taylor- African Music Machine- Ernest Franklin- Bobby Patterson- Montclairs- John Fred & the Playboy Band- Mickey GilleyPLUS...- "The Thrill Ain't Gone" (they better know the deal, 'cause I forgot the artist's name! essential soul-blues, on the jewel label, that i gotta get a copy of, one way or the other!)real headz, respect!!and thanks to stan lewis for all that good music!!

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    On the rock tip....

Five By Five - "Next Exit"

Joy - "Thunderfoot" featuring Billy Joe Shines of the Nightcaps

Rod St. James

And a great blues/rock LP.....

Cash McCall - "Omega Man"

• Peppermint Harris "wait until it happens to you" is that good good shit...

• On the rock tip....

Five By Five - "Next Exit"

"Fire" b/w "Hang Up" - one of the best garage (on the A-side)/psych (on the B-side) singles you can get for cheap...

Joy - "Thunderfoot" featuring Billy Joe Shines of the Nightcaps

Rod St. James

How are these LP's? I'm assuming that Joy is Paula's answer to stoner-rock...

And on the comedy tip...
    Pigmeat Markham (his last two albums were on Jewel)
    Justin Wilson (I GAR-ON-TEE!)

• YES! Great topic!

I ride for:
    Montclairs
    Ted Taylor
    Peggy Paxton
    Tousaint McCall
    Peppermint Harris
    Jimmy "preacher" Ellie

Man, I've been wanting to hear the Rod St. James LP for a minute!
    What kind of sound is it?

The Joy LP is a hard rock LP and is pretty good (imo)

Rod St. James is more like heavy bluesy/funk rock with screaming vocals

Also....one of my guilty pleasures is Truck Drivin' Country music and Nat Stuckey does indeed represent!!

Bobby Patterson is now a DJ on the local AM soul station KKDA.

His show is on during the day and it's like a blast back to the late 60's.

His patter is amazing and he throws out phrases that have me laughing out loud...

"This is Bobby P the happy pappy with hair so nappy even Wilson can't Pickett"

After his show is drive time with Millie Jackson.

Local bluesman Ernie Griffin also has a slot.....really captures the 60's southern radio chitlin' circuit vibe like no other station I've heard.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

- "The Thrill Ain't Gone"

Alex Williams & the Mustangs... can someone sell me a copy of this already? I keep getting outbid by like 2 and 3 bucks every time.

• I really REALLY ride for Frank Frost's "My Backscratcher", which is a Slim Harpo cover or rip-off or some such.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Great labels... Shreveport had it going on....
    question remains? what happened?
    as far as i can tell, very little in the way of bustling music in that corner of Texarkana connect at this point...

Bobby P. is one hell of a nice guy. Great stories, killer trucker cap, and the mini-cans of beer we drank over there were quite refreshing in texas early summer heat. Book him if you're organizing a soul revue... the older artists appreciate your support and renewed enthusiasm for the music.

peace.

• I really REALLY ride for Frank Frost's "My Backscratcher", which is a Slim Harpo cover or rip-off or some such.

not really a rip off as Slim Harpo plays harp on it...

I only have this 7". Is the album (I think it's the one with the rooster on the cover) impossible to obtain?

• Also The Uniques-Tell Me What To Do, and especially Bad Boys-Black Olives. That one never gets old to me.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I ride for these labels like a mofo.

I'd still say it is...

Another good harmonica player on Jewel: Jerry McCain, whose "728 Texas" (address of Jewel) is a staple of my soul nights. I'll also mention Raful Neal (on the Whit subsidiary), as well as Buster Benton, who had a great soul-blues album (accent on blues) for Ronn, Spider In My Stew. But track down his Jewel single "Good To The Last Drop," which has a HARD sound for 1974! If you thought Alex Williams & the Mustangs were badasses...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Funny, I was just listening to the Conway Bros - Turn It Up last night. Not really what this thread is celebrating, but definitely funny to see that olde fashioned Paula label on a housey disco 45 from 1985.

• Funny, I was just listening to the Conway Bros - Turn It Up last night. Not really what this thread is celebrating, but definitely funny to see that olde fashioned Paula label on a housey disco 45 from 1985.

That's exactly what I was thinking when Magnum Force (Chicago funk band) were recording for that label around the same time...for that matter, the Art Ensemble Of Chicago never looked right on the Paula label, either, did they?

• One of the oddest Paula LP's I ever saw was from some group that appeared to be some Xtian/hippie commune who made a rekkid - the Kell Street Camp Meeting. Led by some guy named "Brother Slum," I think?? Or Brother Somebody...

I only have this 7". Is the album (I think it's the one with the rooster on the cover) impossible to obtain?

Frank Frost's Jewel album doesn't have a rooster on the cover...it's basically a B&W pic of Frost set against the same psychedelic backdrop seen on the Rod St. James album. I've seen it around in the $10 range.

• Also....one of my guilty pleasures is Truck Drivin' Country music and Nat Stuckey does indeed represent!!

I am openly fond of country - still wanting to hear the early Randy Travis sides on Paula (as "Randy Traywick").

One of the oddest Paula LP's I ever saw was from some group that appeared to be some Xtian/hippie commune who made a rekkid - the Kell Street Camp Meeting. Led by some guy named "Brother Slum," I think?? Or Brother Somebody...

With guitarist Donny Ford who now has a decent country career as Donny Ray Ford.

But the Kell St. LP sucks.

Also....one of my guilty pleasures is Truck Drivin' Country music and Nat Stuckey does indeed represent!!

I am openly fond of country - still wanting to hear the early Randy Travis sides on Paula (as "Randy Traywick").

The Traywick singles are very bland

• It's all about this shit right here...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Great labels, a little tough to find down here, but here the ones I've found that I like:
    Little Johnny Taylor - My Special Rose/A Thousand Miles Away
    Ted Taylor - I'm Lonely Tonight/I Thought You Needed Me
    Cookie & His Cupcakes - I'm Twisted/Mathilda
    Cookie & His Cupcakes - Got You On My Mind/Sea Of Love
    Five By Five - Apple Cider/Fruitstand Man

F16, my brother!!

"Shimmy" is a nice li'l instrumental, but flip that 45 back over! 'Cause "Nothing Takes The Place Of You" is one of the most moving soul ballads ever...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    It's all about this shit right here...

F16, my brother!!

"Shimmy" is a nice li'l instrumental, but flip that 45 back over! 'Cause "Nothing Takes The Place Of You" is one of the most moving soul ballads ever...

Yes! you beat me to it.

F16, my brother!!

Pickwick, I cosine 200%! . I love this as an example of THE great Jeckyll/Hyde 45 of all time. Deep Deep soul on the a (the hit, which is why this is relatively easy to find) and absolute Hammond brutality on the flip.
    Makes me want to rent the original 'Hairspray' to see TM sing 'Nothing Takes the Place of You'

F16, my brother!!

Pickwick, I cosine 200%! . I love this as an example of THE great Jeckyll/Hyde 45 of all time. Deep Deep soul on the a (the hit, which is why this is relatively easy to find) and absolute Hammond brutality on the flip.

His split personality showed up again! I have a followup single, "I'll Do It For You," which is an excellent "N.T.T.P.O.Y." knockoff (in a minor key this time), but the backside is "The Toussaint Shuffle," an instrumental go-go grinder. Haven't played this single in a minute, but I do recall that the "Shuffle" didn't have the same impact as the "Shimmy." I should listen again.

Incidentally, this time last year at Tower Records' closeout sale I scored a Toussaint McCall compilation CD...he had a lot more good stuff than the hit (and the B-side).

Makes me want to rent the original 'Hairspray' to see TM sing 'Nothing Takes the Place of You'

Good thing the movie came out or else people would still be thinking that Toussaint McCall looks like the guy on the right:

[color:red]BTW, I think that this white dude on the cover of McCall's album may be the label owner's son[/color]

F16, my brother!!

His split personality showed up again! I have a followup single, "I'll Do It For You," which is an excellent "N.T.T.P.O.Y." knockoff (in a minor key this time), but the backside is "The Toussaint Shuffle," an instrumental go-go grinder. Haven't played this single in a minute, but I do recall that the "Shuffle" didn't have the same impact as the "Shimmy." I should listen again.

Incidentally, this time last year at Tower Records' closeout sale I scored a Toussaint McCall compilation CD...he had a lot more good stuff than the hit (and the B-side).

Good thing the movie came out or else people would still be thinking that Toussaint McCall looks like the guy on the right:

[color:red]BTW, I think that this white dude on the cover of McCall's album may be the label owner's son[/color]

I have the LP and all of McCall's RONN 45s, and many of them have a very cool rock-ish underpinning. He was a very versatile guy.
    His later 45s on Dore are really cool as well ,mixing electric piano and funky organ. I have an album he recorded in the 80's but it's pretty much organ-free.