funny ODB story...

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
from Julian Bevan's site...."Of all the groups that came through Chung King, Wu Tang was by far the most entertaining. This was a year or so after their debut album, so each of them was in the process of recording his solo record. I think Meth went first, then ODB. Whether all of Wu Tang showed up, or just one of them, they never arrived without an entourage of less than fifteen people. And not just fifteen normal people, mind you. Fifteen crazy Frickin' gangster kids from Staten Island. ODB and his whole crew were just a Frickin' train wreck. His manager was Buddha Monk, a loud, fat, obnoxious, just-don't-give-a-fuck type kid from Brooklyn. He liked to eat. He liked to eat A LOT. He would order 5 pizzas for his whole crew, and when they arrived he would grab the first one and spit all over the pizza, so that nobody else would want a slice. Charming, really. They used to order chicken wings from Pluck U on Third street, then send their boys down to the lobby to rob the delivery man when he showed up. After the second time, Pluck U stopped delivering altogether. ODB was the craziest of all. He was usually drunk or dusted or both and was just totally Frickin' insane. He was fond of threatening producers and engineers and other rappers in the studio. One night he was recording a guest verse on LL Cool J's "I Shot Ya" Since he was crazy, and an egomaniac, he got all offended that LL hadn't show up for the session. He got really belligerent and insisted that the engineer erase LL's vocals entirely, so that he could record the whole song from scratch. The Producer, one of the Trackmasterz, tried to reason with him for about an hour. ODB just kept telling him he was gonnna kick his ass if he didn't erase the track. Eventually, the producer was like "fuck this noise, I'm outta here!" and walked. The engineer, fearing for his life, pretended to erase the tape and recorded ODB on a new track. ODB proceeded to rant incoherently for about 30 minutes. How I wish I would have saved that recording. Talk about priceless. It was like the angel dust-induced ghetto version of Jim Morrison's "American Prayer". After he was done, he ran out in to the lobby and started ripping LL's gold albums off the wall, throwing them to the ground, and spiting on them. The entire staff literally hid in the office with the door locked until his tantrum subsided and he left the building. This was a normal ODB evening."

Comments

• the Rock the Bells documentary has some footage of Buddha Monk and another ODB sidekick. they're hilarious; like Buddha Monk could do a comedy tour or video and it would actually be funny.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

You know what? your know dat is know dat.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

You know what? your know dat is know dat.

whoah, underground rap groupies.

• thanks for that, matmatic. besides the wu story, julian is droppin' some great stuff in the bio section on his site. TRUTH NUGGETS

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I got two ill ones that only a few would know about. It's about ODB's trips in France. ILL SHIT. I don't have time to type right now, but i'll do a sum-up later on today. I just give y'all the titles for these stories so you can have a pre-taste : "How did ODB Got Stab in Paris" and "How did ODB managed to get 50g's for a 16 and wrecked the whole video shooting and such". Entertaining. Believe me.

• You know what? your know dat is know dat.

That is the reason I couldn't be paid to attend one of those events.

(well, that and the fact that someone like Sage Francis is even allowed within miles of the place)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    julian is droppin' some great stuff

Just finished reading of his journey to Peru, and his experiences there. Great read. I've been dreaming of going for quite awhile but I feel almost restless about it now.

• I think he broke some dude's nose during a show here in Cph in '95. Threw the mic at him or something