2 things that are for CERTAIN when deejaying......

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
No matter how many songs you have with you (I have 10K at all times) someone will ask for one that you Don't have!2nd is no matter how crackin' the party is there will always be that ONE girl who should have been hired to dj instead of YOU because she seems to know what EVERYONE wants to hear and will be SURE to tell you. I did a corporate x-mas party last night. Actually pretty fun. Seeing all these average joe guys/girls partying. The girls were wasted beyond belief and getting extra freaky.

Comments

• this is exactly why i always try and dj with a partner. as soon as i see someone even thinking of coming up to the dj area i immediately start pointing at the partner and put the headphones on.

• I'd add that at least one vital part of the setup is usally not up to par - monitoring, mixer, decks, needles etc. It's all part of the fun I guess.

• i'll add that by closing time im happily drunk.

• No matter how many songs you have with you (I have 10K at all times) someone will ask for one that you Don't have!

2nd is no matter how crackin' the party is there will always be that ONE girl who should have been hired to dj instead of YOU because she seems to know what EVERYONE wants to hear and will be SURE to tell you.

I did a corporate x-mas party last night. Actually pretty fun. Seeing all these average joe guys/girls partying. The girls were wasted beyond belief and getting extra freaky.

I was djing the other night and the dance floor was completely full and this broad walks up to me and asks to play "it's Britney Bitch" or "something people could actually dance to".
    I need to learn to be more of a prick to those Beckys.

• One more thing that is always 100% certain with zero fail whatsoever...

It is IMPOSSIBLE to play a cowbell while DJing without some dude coming up with a huge ass clown smile on his face shouting "MORE COWBELL!" like he's the first person since Christopher Walken to ever say it. So far my best response is to look at them but not make any kind of change in facial expression or eye contact, just sorta look through them but keep shreddin' away. Sometimes they'll keep yelling it hoping I'll laugh, sometimes they'll kinda laugh to themselves and then dance away from the DJ booth.

Cowbells are really fun to play during DJ gigs but these motherfuckers ruin it every single time.

• this one time this white chick asked me to play some northern soul and i told her i was and she was like no youre not and i was like ok you got me i have no idea what that means and she walked away from me in disgust.

and i didnt even pull my pants down.

this other time this white chick was sitting on the window sill right next to the record area and every song i put on she asked me what i was gon play and said i needed to play something to dance to and i looked at the dancefloor and i said this is something to dance to and she said NO SOMETHING I[/b] CAN DANCE TO.

i shoulda pulled my pants down.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    this is exactly why i always try and dj with a partner. as soon as i see someone even thinking of coming up to the dj area i immediately start pointing at the partner and put the headphones on.

• I'd add that at least one vital part of the setup is usally not up to par - monitoring, mixer, decks, needles etc. It's all part of the fun I guess.

too true.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    this one time this white chick asked me to play some northern soul and i told her i was and she was like no youre not and i was like ok you got me i have no idea what that means and she walked away from me in disgust.

this other time this white chick was sitting on the window sill right next to the record area and every song i put on she asked me what i was gon play and said i needed to play something to dance to and i looked at the dancefloor and i said this is something to dance to and she said NO SOMETHING I[/b] CAN DANCE TO.

I dont know if i should say you are giving yourself little OR too much credit there

Im kidding.

• this one time this white chick asked me to play some northern soul and i told her i was and she was like no youre not and i was like ok you got me i have no idea what that means and she walked away from me in disgust.

I dont know if i should say you are giving yourself little OR too much credit there

Im kidding.

DONT NEVER SAY "CREDIT" ROUND NO WHITE GIRL!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I'm about to get back into DJing, and these Becky threads have me a little shook. When I had my weekly gig in LA some years ago, I had very few Becky moments, at least that I can remember.

But now I'm not in a metropolitan area, and I'm wondering if people here will even appreciate classic hip hop/UBB-style funk/deep disco. I'm going to play at a pretty large house party on NYE, so I guess I'll see how it goes in a couple weeks.

I'm not worried about a couple bad apples. I'm mostly worried about encountering a room full of them. Am I selling the 'burbs short? Because if I have to play Britney to get the crowd to move, I'd just as soon stay home.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    this one time this white chick asked me to play some northern soul and i told her i was and she was like no youre not and i was like ok you got me i have no idea what that means and she walked away from me in disgust.

Im kidding.

DONT NEVER SAY "CREDIT" ROUND NO WHITE GIRL!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    On Friday I got all of the above (substitute "northern soul" for "house"), plus a Bon Jovi request (two nights in a row!) and one of these, "can you play track 14 of that album? I think it's their first album?"

Bonus points for this one...

Becky: "can you like...umm...play something different?"
    Me: "what do you want to hear?"
    Becky: "I don't know...something better then this"
    Me: "song, artist? I can't read your mind"
    Becky: "I don't know, something good...I'll be back later"

On a related note, why out of all the hundreds of graemlins is there no "Becky" graemlin? Should be a given.

• On Friday I got all of the above (substitute "northern soul" for "house"), plus a Bon Jovi request (two nights in a row!) and one of these, "can you play track 14 of that album? I think it's their first album?"

Bonus points for this one...

Becky: "can you like...umm...play something different?"
    Me: "what do you want to hear?"
    Becky: "I don't know...something better then this"
    Me: "song, artist? I can't read your mind"
    Becky: "I don't know, something good...I'll be back later"

On a related note, why out of all the hundreds of graemlins is there no "Becky" graemlin? Should be a given.

if its not this, its some douche-brah who reeks of lone star tellin u to throw on some fuckin zeppelin to "get people dancin"....

on a more interesting note, i once a young female ask for some "96 Chambers"...I was sure she couldnt mean ? "96 Tears" and shrugged....she said "u know, Wu TAng"

• on a more interesting note, i once a young female ask for some "96 Chambers"...I was sure she couldnt mean ? "96 Tears" and shrugged....she said "u know, Wu TAng"

is she now your girlfriend or wife?

• on a more interesting note, i once a young female ask for some "96 Chambers"...I was sure she couldnt mean ? "96 Tears" and shrugged....she said "u know, Wu TAng"

is she now your girlfriend or wife?

no but i did drop 'Protect Ya Neck' for her...

• No matter how many songs you have with you (I have 10K at all times) someone will ask for one that you Don't have!

2nd is no matter how crackin' the party is there will always be that ONE girl who should have been hired to dj instead of YOU because she seems to know what EVERYONE wants to hear and will be SURE to tell you.

I did a corporate x-mas party last night. Actually pretty fun. Seeing all these average joe guys/girls partying. The girls were wasted beyond belief and getting extra freaky.
    You Dee you gotta bring back that post you did about the different kind of girls that be askin for a song post. You had me dyin on that one. Pure comedy.