Godfather Don Appreciation!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Hey,I gotta big up the man, slick MC and phenomenal producer, Godfather Don. I'm currently listening to "Raise it Up" by Ultramag, one of his many dope productions from the 90's. He's done ill shit for himself, Screwball, Scaramanga, Cenobites (with him and Kool Keith), Groove Merchantz, etc. Trudging in relative obscurity, I always found cat incredibly talented. Anyone with me???Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Dude is a real character and a fool on the beats!

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    "I'm first print, mint, check the wizzzaaard."

• sbonesbone 144 Posts
    check the uncut blog theres a great interview

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Properties of Steel

whenever i hear this track, i would think of Premier doing doubles on that tape he did...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

Properties of Steel

whenever i hear this track, i would think of Premier doing doubles on that tape he did...

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts

Properties of Steel

somewhat

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    underappreciated-

really helped Ultra & Kool Keith maintain a contemporary feel

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    "I seperate necks with tecs and expect no mercy,
    I heard police found your head and legs in new jersey"

one of my favourite lines of all time, the guy is absolutely

is the first album 'hazardous' really as rare it's internet price suggests? I've heard most of it, and it's good, but I've never ever seen it out looking in more than 10 years. Other LP's on Select seem to be quite limited too, so maybe it is rare...

'styles by the gram from the muthafuckin man'

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    All his early 12's on hydra do it for me. Liked him on the ultra's "raise it up" too.

• one of the best producer/rappers for sure.

• Properties of Steel

Live and let die is my other favorite cut up there.

• I ride for "Piece Of The Action"

aaaaah I hear you

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Im a fan of that scaramanga track, i forget the name but it was the single i think. beat was hard.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Bsides,

It's "7 Eyes, 7 Horns."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I heard some stories about dude, his SP and his guitar...mad beats. He was very very very gifted with the SP. First time i heard about him was on a DJ Eclipse tape i think. I guess we will never see people like him in the future. Way too for nowadays kids.

• I need a copy of the 1st LP and have to say all the Hydra 12's are ,
    and copped the DWG ep...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    I ride for "Piece Of The Action"

aaaaah I hear you

Yeah, Jonny, that sample was sick!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Anyone got any funny stories of the dude? seems he was pretty notorious for being a nut. i saw that interview with him talking about the best way to stalk a girl

• yeah, I mean damn.

Piece of the Action was my shit.

The first album is crazy too.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    one of the best producer/rappers for sure.

Yup. Nice to see this thread. Hazardous, the Hydra 12"s and some radio appearances have been getting especially heavy rotation with me lately. The whole catalog is celebrated, though.

Gotta mention the beat for Cormega's "You Dont Want It". One of my favorite tracks of...what was that...2001?

• Properties of Steel

somewhat

Rare? Really? I think I still have doubles of it.

I always thought Godfather Don was pretty dope..although, I have not heard anything from dude in several years.

• Anyone got any funny stories of the dude? seems he was pretty notorious for being a nut. i saw that interview with him talking about the best way to stalk a girl

Im a big Don fan, he is ill on the mic and beats. I meet him in '94 thru Kool Keith.

I was working promotions for Wildpitch at the time and had met Keith while I was in the Wildpitch office before and we just stayed in touch. There were in town (Chicago) for a show with Jeru. Before the show they wanted to go to the store so I gave Keith and Don a ride. I had just put that Raw Breed track "Rampage/Outta Control" on tape and it just happened to come on while the are in the car. When Don's verse comes on both Keith and Don stop talking and Keith is like "Don that dude sounds just like you?". Don's like, "who is this, they sound JUST like me". I'm just sort of laughing and "playing along" thing they are joking around...but after while I'm like, "Do you really don't know that is you????". He's like "no, what is this??". I tell him and him and Keith are like "Oh yeah, one day we were just walking down the street and the Raw Breed dudes were hanging outside of a studio and they were like come in and drop verses this track and we just went in and both did vereses in one take in left and never thought about it. We never even heard anyone else rhyme on it...". I thought that was pretty bugged out...

That same day were having a conversation rappers and who respect for "off the head" rhyming and all that. I remember Don saying had heard Treach and "he is excellent"... Anyway, somewhere in there Kool Keith asked me if I liked Freddie Foxxx and I was like "yeah". He was like "what do you like about Freddie Foxxx?". I'm like, "I don't know, he is just raw". I never thought much about it but it was right after that the I heard the Freddie Foxx diss to Ultra....ha.

I know I have some more Don stories. I just can't think right now, we used to talk all the time and hung out a couple times but just real briefly each time. Oh yeah, when I did Caught In The Middle Magazine in '95 I had Godfather Don interview Bobitto and that was awesome. He was going to be a regular writer for the mag but we went bankrupt...