KISS

nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
1980, I was seven years old. A big boy at school told me that the band KISS were satanists, and that KISS stood for Kids In Satans Service. That was some scary shit. I managed to convince my Mom to by me Unmasked. That album was so fuckin cool. i put the poster on my wall next to the Darth Vader one.My room ruled.Then my stupid cousin Jackie came to stay, she slept in the bottom bunk in my room.She was scared of KISS and Darth Vader, so my mum took my posters down.Fuck you Jackie.

Comments

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the first batch of lps were cool
    kinda like the circus but heavier
    but gene has devalued KISS in my eyes with his gross TV schtick

• In 1979 for my 7th birthday my mother and her best friend took me and my friends Jesse and Jeremy to see KISS at the Pontiac Silverdome. Cheap Trick and New England opened up. We wore face paint. I was Peter Criss. I cried when they played "Beth". My mother had to restrain me when they played "Detroit Rock City" because I was so hyped up I was flailing my arms and hitting people. It was great. It changed my life forever.

I loved KISS as a kid. I believed that not only were they superior rock musicians who made kick ass songs but that they had super powers and after the show they would fly away and engage in mystical battles with other super powered beings. I bought into the whole thing, lunch boxes, dolls, shirts, KISS everything. I used to think about KISS fighting the Beatles (my mother's favorite group) and how KISS would destroy them.

No offense to your family, but I second you -

fuck you Jackie.

MCF

• I remember the first time I saw them, on Paul Lynne's Halloween special...I had no idea what they were, I thought they were monsters, or superheros..I was hooked.

When NBC started the commercials for "Kiss meets the Phantom of the Park" I was hyped...bugged the shit outta my parents about it. They knew they didnt want to watch it (we only had one TV), so my dad ended up getting some old ass TV from god knows where and put it in my room so I could watch it. However, after the movie the TV went up in the attic or something, they didnt think it was a good idea for me to have a TV in my room, but I digress....

I love Kiss...a deep cut from the "Dressed to Kill" LP, "Getaway" is one of my favorite songs...a perfect rock n roll song, apparently they never played it live..pity

I heart KISS.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    the first batch of lps were cool
    kinda like the circus but heavier
    but gene has devalued KISS in my eyes with his gross TV schtick

His TV schtick is what has kept that band alive loooong after its sell-by date.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    1976. Stevens Point, WI. K-Mart. Destroyer is purchased with birthday money.

My life has been completely altered and music becomes the reigning distraction of my entire life.

Kissology 1 and 2 are if you grew up on Kiss. It will fill you with warm fuzzy shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Christmas 1978, Santa brought me a stereo and the Kiss Double Platinum 8-track. It was the only thing I had to listen to until my birthday in August 1979 when my aunt got me the Michael Jackson Off the Wall 8-track.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I used to think about KISS fighting the Beatles (my mother's favorite group) and how KISS would destroy them.

MCF

John Lennon would have kicked Ace Frehley's frail ass!!!

• I used to think about KISS fighting the Beatles (my mother's favorite group) and how KISS would destroy them.

MCF

then would have bought Ace a drink and a smoke and gotten shithammered with him.

• I used to think about KISS fighting the Beatles (my mother's favorite group) and how KISS would destroy them.

MCF

Being a roadie for an all Ace Frehley cover band (Ace's High) at one time in my life, I feel obligated to stick up for Ace (even if I had to dress up as Vinnie Vincent and get verbally abused throughout the show as part of my job).

First of all, Ace would stomp on John's bare feet with his massive space boots. As John bent over to find his bloody foot hiding somewhere in his flowing bellbottoms, Ace would shove a smoking guitar up Lennon's ass, not looking back as he traveled through space leaving John wounded and thinking "fuck, maybe I shouldn't have given peace a chance this time".

MCF

• 1976. Stevens Point, WI. K-Mart. Destroyer is purchased with birthday money.

My life has been completely altered and music becomes the reigning distraction of my entire life.

Kissology 1 and 2 are if you grew up on Kiss. It will fill you with warm fuzzy shit.

1977. West Orange, NJ. Korvette's Dept. Store. "Alive" is purchased with allowance money.

I still have all my KISS albums. Even "Alive", which also happens to be the first record I ever bought. I've met numerous musicians ans celebrities in my time and never really got too excited about it. I'll tell ya though, if I ever had the opportunity to meet any of the guys from KISS, I would be a star-struck little kid all over again. They were my first exposure to the power, magic and beauty of music. They helped make my childhood really fuckin cool. I would draw their album covers endlessly until I could almost do it from memory. I had the t-shirts, posters, lunchbox, make up kit, trading cards, etc. etc. To this day, my mom still likes KISS and knows the songs because of all the times KISS was blaring through the speakers in my room.

I even went to the reunion concert at Madison Square Garden and it sent chills up my spine. Yet another reason I consider myself fortunate to have come up in the era that I did.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I used to think about KISS fighting the Beatles (my mother's favorite group) and how KISS would destroy them.

MCF

Being a roadie for an all Ace Frehley cover band (Ace's High) at one time in my life, I feel obligated to stick up for Ace (even if I had to dress up as Vinnie Vincent and get verbally abused throughout the show as part of my job).

First of all, Ace would stomp on John's bare feet with his massive space boots. As John bent over to find his bloody foot hiding somewhere in his flowing bellbottoms, Ace would shove a smoking guitar up Lennon's ass, not looking back as he traveled through space leaving John wounded and thinking "fuck, maybe I shouldn't have given peace a chance this time".

MCF

For some reason the only part of that I believe is that Ace would shove something up John's ass.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I was mesmerized by "Kiss Meets The Phantom Of The Park" but the records never did much for me. I have had the opportunity to meet Gene, the combination of arrogant pampered rock star and nebbishy NYC Jew that he possesses is totally unique among the celebrities I have met, although he may have been acting more relaxed because the person I met him through has known him since before he was famous.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

MCF

MCF

For some reason the only part of that I believe is that Ace would shove something up John's ass.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    so its probably 1978, and I'm about 7 years old....

my single mom and I are walking past Varsity Stadium here in Toronto, and the KISS show is about to start. There were thousands of completely stoned 19 year olds wandering everywhere. This one group walks up to me and my mom and holler "Hey Lady... wanna buy some KISS make up?" My mom vise grips my hand and starts to walk away as fast as she can, while I holler "Mom... can you pleeeeeease get me some make up?" in the most excited voice I could muster. the last thing I heard as she tore me away was the dudes all laughing and exclaiming "Oh shit.... the kids cool".

I have by association always loved KISS, even if for only that moment.

• Circa 1976, every numbnuts in the 7th grade loves Kiss, except for me, who digs the Beatles.

Flash forward to 1987 (after loosening up, and broadening my conception of rock'n'roll considerably) when I pick up the double Kiss Platinum cassette and drive my brother insane with it on a long road trip.

Flash forward to 2007, where I've come to the point that if I ever see Gene Simmons on the street I swear I'll snatch that shiedl off of his head and kick him in his crusty old butt.

Strange how things change...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    so, it's december 2007, and i've yet to sit through a Kiss song, other than "Rock N Roll All Night" when it was in the movie Dazed and Confused.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    so, it's december 2007, and i've yet to sit through a Kiss song, other than "Rock N Roll All Night" when it was in the movie Dazed and Confused.

haha, I thinking the same thing.
    I can understand if you liked the band when you were 7 or whatever, but its the grown up fans that scare me.

Detroit Rock City was pretty good though.