Bakersfield.

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I grew up there.And I'm curious how many strutters have done more than just drive through it. Even better, who has ever stayed there more than 1 day?I'm just curious. Over time it seems, the few people that have ever had to spend more than a day there make an awful face when they describe it.And besides, I'm bored.

Comments

• honor band at the college.

ive also spent a day or so in taft which is like bakersfield for the hardcore redneck.

btw, they now have a merle haggard drive to go along with buck owens way or whatevers. for country music, its the spot on the west coast. werent they calling it nashville west or something?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    honor band at the college.

ive also spent a day or so in taft which is like bakersfield for the hardcore redneck.

btw, they now have a merle haggard drive to go along with buck owens way or whatevers. for country music, its the spot on the west coast. werent they calling it nashville west or something?

Indeed they were... But Bakersfield was the home for people rebelling against the watered down pop nashville sounds.

Anyways, I figured you would be the first to respond to this thread.... aaaand maybe the only......

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Haven't been since I was a kid. Someone was telling me it's kinda fallen into the whole crime-ridden meth-lab car thievin' scene.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I haven't been, but a good friend of mine is from there, and I'd like to make it down there at some point. She says it is growing unbelievably fast.

• bakersfield is to LA

what

stockton is to SF

• speaking of bakersfield

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Your crotch belongs to Bakersfield?

• only the sweat from it

• Cost-Co shopper alert

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Sandrini's seems to be a cool spot. I've played there a couple of times, and there's a new rare soul gig starting up this weekend. Alex Rodriguez and crew.

• I dated a girl from outside of there, like a suburb of Bakersfield.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Several years ago, I tried to dig records there during an LA-NorCal road trip. I came up short on the finds. I've been to most of the Bakersfield fast food spots located along The 99.

• the basque food is where its at in bakersfield. theres quite a few in the central valley and a lot in bakersfield. fyi.

i eat money
    money i got

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I remember seeing one as a kid. it had a big sign with some dude playing some kind of game where you hawk a thing out of a big scoop or something.

I don't even know what basque is. French?

• its kinda like french food mixed with a hofbrau. although i dont really know what french food is like. so maybe not. but the hofbrau part is real.

• I came here looking for something
    I couldn't find anywhere else
    Hey, I'm not trying to be nobody
    Just want a chance to be myself

I've done a thousand miles of thumbin'
    I've worn holes in both my heels
    Trying to find me something better
    On the streets of Bakersfield

Chorus:

You don't know me, but you don't like me
    You say you care less how I feel
    But how many of you that sit and judge me
    Have ever walked the streets of Bakersfield?

Spent sometime in San Francisco
    Spent a night there in the can
    They threw this drunk man in my jail cell
    Took fifteen dollars from that man
    Left him my watch and my old house key
    Don't want folks thinkin' that I'd steal
    Then I thanked him as I was leaving, and
    I headed for the streets of Bakersfield

Chorus:

How many of you that sit and judge me

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I came here looking for something
    I couldn't find anywhere else
    Hey, I'm not trying to be nobody
    Just want a chance to be myself

I've done a thousand miles of thumbin'
    I've worn holes in both my heels
    Trying to find me something better
    On the streets of Bakersfield

Chorus:

Spent sometime in San Francisco
    Spent a night there in the can
    They threw this drunk man in my jail cell
    Took fifteen dollars from that man
    Left him my watch and my old house key
    Don't want folks thinkin' that I'd steal
    Then I thanked him as I was leaving, and
    I headed for the streets of Bakersfield

Chorus:

How many of you that sit and judge me

What is this from??

• Dwight Yoakam with Buck Owens & Flaco Jimenez

• a best friend of mine lives there, i have often stayed at he and his wifes place for long weekends. the city has grown super fast since i was first there in '90. i dont know about the meth scene but it certainly has areas that look troubled. but also mega malls and all the rest of brand new socal suburban sprawl. my friend lives on the edge of the city up on a hill, on a real dirt road across from a huge orange grove. its mighty peaceful up there. we jam on bass and drums, play some PS2, throw tennis balls in the back yard for the german shepard to fetch, watch buzzards fly overhead, etc. its cool. my only real issue is how freaking hot it gets in the summer. i dont know how people stand it.

bakersfield related graemlins:

• now im homesick

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Dwight Yoakam with Buck Owens & Flaco Jimenez

Wrong. Its just Buck Owens.

If you're trying to say that Yoakam/Owens/Jimenez never played or recorded this track together, you're dead wrong.

If you're trying to say that only Buck Owen's version is good, you'd be wrong again.

If you're trying to one up me, and say that it was Buck Owens that actually wrote it, you're still wrong.

so, what the fuck was your point again?

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Dwight Yoakam with Buck Owens & Flaco Jimenez

If you're trying to say that Yoakam/Owens/Jimenez never played or recorded this track together, you're dead wrong.

If you're trying to say that only Buck Owen's version is good, you'd be wrong again.

If you're trying to one up me, and say that it was Buck Owens that actually wrote it, you're still wrong.

Buck Owens version kills. Your answer should had not included Dwight Yoakam.

Buck Owens version kills. Your answer should had not included Dwight Yoakam.

Yoakam is good, but Flaco is God. End of story.

• I'm from Delano.

btw, Hello all.

• HamHam 872 Posts

who is this?

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm from Delano.

btw, Hello all.

YOU WIN!

And for the record, both versions of Streets of Bakersfield are great. But the version with Yoakam is my personal favorite. It came out when I was a kid and it was on the radio all the time, and it was cool hearing a song about your town. There were plenty of songs about the big cities, and here was a song about Frickin' bakersfield. It was awesome. And the lyrics were kind of hip hop. Plus, it captures the sound of bakersfield perfectly, with the blend of country and tejano(?). how many times do you hear mexican accordian in any other type of music? Not often. According to wikipedia, Bakersfield is about 60% white, 30% mexican, and then black, asian, and etc. So it works.

Anyways, I have dope old watch the I got from my grandma, that she got from when she worked for Buck Owens. Its a silver watch with Buck's face on the face of the watch. Its so awesome. I'll have to take a pic of it and post it up some day.

• I'm from Delano.

btw, Hello all.

YOU WIN!

Not much of a victory. The area just keeps getting worse as they build more prisons. Its sad to see that Delano is no longer the quaint migrant farmer town it used to be (where'd all the flips go?), but hey, its got a Home Depot and Starbucks though!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm from Delano.

btw, Hello all.

YOU WIN!

Not much of a victory. The area just keeps getting worse as they build more prisons. Its sad to see that Delano is no longer the quaint migrant farmer town it used to be (where'd all the flips go?), but hey, its got a Home Depot and Starbucks though!

Nobody here to rep Oildale??!?!?!

• I've been there twice and later this month I will have spent my second new years there.

does anyone know if that record spot is still open?? Their phone number's disconnected.....