Trends Of Culture Appreciation

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
These dudes were sick. Mr. Nasty was seriously a dope rhymer.Good album too. I just ripped the 12" last night and I'm gonna get to the LP later on today.

Comments

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    absolutely agree 100%. TOP TEN INTERLUDE is my favorite on the Lp, and it is an all over classic.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Mr. Nasty was seriously a dope rhymer.

I doubt his claims of penile dimension vis-a-vis each "State". Specifically, is a flaccid measurement allegedly 7/8ths that of the measurement in the other state entirely accurate? In a rep-your-local-penile-experience, non-ayo way?

• Damn, I had the tape and probably haben't listened to it since '94. Eric Sermon production right? What was the single called?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Damn, I had the tape and probably haben't listened to it since '94. Eric Sermon production right? What was the single called?

They produced all their shit in-house I think, but also had some production from Lord Finesse. The 2 singles were "Off An On" (which was the one everyone peeped) and "Beyond The Valley Of The Skins" which was the second jawn. It was on Mad Sounds Records.

• Oh, I remember now...I was getting 'em confused with Shades of Lingo.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Up that ish!

• "Who got my back" is my joint. I recorded them performing that song on the Uptown Comedy club show back in the day....

• "Off An On" (which was the one everyone peeped) and "Beyond The Valley Of The Skins" which was the second jawn. It was on Mad Sounds Records.

I definitely got my eastcoast stomp on to these joints!

• Off and On
    Trenda numba twooooo
    now whatcha gonna dooooo/
    when /
    I /
    Flow
    Cause damn do the brotha flow/
    Like a singer a regular humdinger

or something like that. Why do I know these verses off the top of my head?
    Ugly neon green 12"sleeve stylings ... say word..

didn't valley of the skinz have a XXX late night BOX version?

• Ugly neon green 12"sleeve stylings ... say word..

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    i can only remember the "off and on" 12" which i sadly missed at the time. im a right in thinking the lp was promo only?

• Valley of the Skinz is absolute

Anyone have Who Got My Back Remix wit Treach, Method Man. An actual clean press or mpeezie? I've only see it once on Ebay and I have it on a NY mix tape, I think S&S...anyways, Trendz is dope.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Mr. Nasty was seriously a dope rhymer.

Brother Nast, the rebel! On another level!
    You a boulder, well I'ma crush you down to a pebble!

Ha, off the bat, I honestly can't recall any other tunes by TOC than "Off And On" and "Valley Of The Skins".

I think someone was clowning them in a recent 90s rap thread (cue F_Rillz Van Full Of Pakistans joke), but those two tracks are OK by me.

• I just paid tribute to them on my radio show for my special on artists who only dropped on LP. I first heard/saw them on Video LP with Donnie Simpson (i'm pretty sure that is right). I bugged off the video to off n on which is what they were on promoting. They way Mr Nasty looked while rhyming was ill, he had flava. Then they performed "Let The Big Boys Play" and later did the "top ten interlude" while sitting on bar stools on the lounge tip....ha.

yeah, they did all their own production except Fineese did the 12"/video version of "off n on". there there's a 12" freestyle mix where Finesse and some of the Trendz crews rhyme. Then Jesse West did a "valley...." remix, right?

I have a tape with that remix with Method Man and Treach but it's real rough quality. I also cut another cut of theirs with Da King & I and Pudgee that was unreleased. also not that good of quality.

The guy Grapevine in the group was friends with a guy I knew named Grav who had a record on Correct Records [Kanye West Debut produciton] in '96. Grapevine actually produced some of his first demo. I think I have some of that somewhere too.

Who remembers that classic Godfather Don freestyle dissing Grapevine for the Off N On joint from the Stretch Armstrong show...I guess based on people saying he sounded like Don... That actually came up on shuffle on the ipod yesterday, so classic...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I just paid tribute to them on my radio show for my special on artists who only dropped on LP. I first heard/saw them on Video LP with Donnie Simpson (i'm pretty sure that is right). I bugged off the video to off n on which is what they were on promoting. They way Mr Nasty looked while rhyming was ill, he had flava. Then they performed "Let The Big Boys Play" and later did the "top ten interlude" while sitting on bar stools on the lounge tip....ha.

yeah, they did all their own production except Fineese did the 12"/video version of "off n on". there there's a 12" freestyle mix where Finesse and some of the Trendz crews rhyme. Then Jesse West did a "valley...." remix, right?

I have a tape with that remix with Method Man and Treach but it's real rough quality. I also cut another cut of theirs with Da King & I and Pudgee that was unreleased. also not that good of quality.

The guy Grapevine in the group was friends with a guy I knew named Grav who had a record on Correct Records [Kanye West Debut produciton] in '96. Grapevine actually produced some of his first demo. I think I have some of that somewhere too.

Who remembers that classic Godfather Don freestyle dissing Grapevine for the Off N On joint from the Stretch Armstrong show...I guess based on people saying he sounded like Don... That actually came up on shuffle on the ipod yesterday, so classic...

A lot of those records (the Meth / Treach and the Pudgee jawns) along with TOC were hitting for on the mixtape circuit back in the early 90s.

Speaking of, WHO'S GOT STRICTLY ROOTS "BEGS NO FRIENDS?"

Oh yeah, before I forget, Kwanza came early this year.

• I just paid tribute to them on my radio show for my special on artists who only dropped on LP. I first heard/saw them on Video LP with Donnie Simpson (i'm pretty sure that is right). I bugged off the video to off n on which is what they were on promoting. They way Mr Nasty looked while rhyming was ill, he had flava. Then they performed "Let The Big Boys Play" and later did the "top ten interlude" while sitting on bar stools on the lounge tip....ha.

A lot of those records (the Meth / Treach and the Pudgee jawns) along with TOC were hitting for on the mixtape circuit back in the early 90s.

Speaking of, WHO'S GOT STRICTLY ROOTS "BEGS NO FRIENDS?"

I do. But do you have Kemelions on Zoo Street (that one stumps 'em every time)

I shall go back to bumpin my rumpalumpbump stiltskinz.

• Speaking of, WHO'S GOT STRICTLY ROOTS "BEGS NO FRIENDS?"

this was my joint back in the day...Puba murders the beat hardest though...