Good Studio Headphones...

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
that are not a million dollars. Not that I'm poor or anything, but still.I was told to check AKG K240M Professional Headphones.Any suggestions?

Comments

• Yeah, the K240s are a staple...The sony 7506s are very popular too, but I prefer the Sennheiser HD280s.

All in the $100 price range.

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    I rock the AKG 240's for home/studio use. Make sure you hit up your local craigslist. Bought my pair for 20 bucks...hardly used...

You can check out Grado's...but for some people...the earphone pads don't really fit their ears and if feels uncomfortable. They are still great headphones though and from what I understand, preferred by oldschool rock listeners.

Very happy with the AKG's...can wear them for hours and it's like they're not even there. I think the output isn't nearly as high as other models/brands, but I still like them. Highly recommended!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    K240s

Very nice!

But not for djs (open ear)

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    HD280s! once you break them in they are great

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Been hearing good shit about Ultrasone's, i got a good deal on their entry levels and i love them. That said, at the home/studio, AKG 240's are the standard for sure.

The Ultrasones are supposed to be particularly good for avoiding ear fatigue, but I've never had a real problem with either pair....

• Do all of those listed have flat response? Because I think for mixing that shit is essential. When I mix in my technics headphones shit always comes out sounding bassless when it hits the car test. I know lots of people use the sony's tho.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    240's are definitely pretty flat. That said, mixing in headphones is basically unpossible. If you get a good mix on the monitors, and you really know the headphones, you can use them as a point of reference. Otherwise, headphone mixing =

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I had the AKG 240 and 270, but after trying the Beyer Dynamic DT 990s

the AKGs had to go. The 990s are a whole new world (at least for my ears).

• HD280s are great

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Do all of those listed have flat response? Because I think for mixing that shit is essential. When I mix in my technics headphones shit always comes out sounding bassless when it hits the car test. I know lots of people use the sony's tho.

This is why you're technically not supposed to mix with headphones.

Use some studio monitors to mix and listen to what you mixed on your headphones/car stereo/etc. You'll be happier!