Conversations that influenced the way you DJ

mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
When I was learning a lot from struggles with my first residency, I had a conversation with someone that really changed the way I think about playing out. He was this 40 year old retired dj that was really enthusiastic about house. We were out at a bar listening to someone play (maybe Elise or Bozak!). He motioned to the greater room and said something like, "Someone in the room just got fired, someone here just broke up with their girlfriend or boyfriend, and someone had a loved one pass away. It's up to the dj help them forget about their problems and enjoy the night"During that time, I went out a lot to listen and watch the way the local dj's did their thing. I had a lot of conversations with different dj's that were really helpful (Bozak especially), but that one minute-long conversation about the role of the dj always sticks out to me. Can you recall any conversations that forever changed your approach to playing records out?

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yo yo minty fresh, who was that dude if I may ask?

• yo yo minty fresh, who was that dude if I may ask?
    Clarence.
    I wish I had some audio of that dude soul clapping and yelling out "Uuuuuhhnnnnnnhhhhhh" That shit was priceless.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    He was this 40 year old retired dj that was really enthusiastic about house.

BAN

Nah just kidding - I can't think of one convo, but I know a lot of times in my DJing career, people have said stuff to me that has impacted on the way I DJ because of taken good advice on-board.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    yo yo minty fresh, who was that dude if I may ask?
    Clarence.

I wish I had some audio of that dude soul clapping and yelling out "Uuuuuhhnnnnnnhhhhhh" That shit was priceless.

He is amazing. Always . Even though he be clapping like nuts off beat, but I got love for him. I still can't believe he is a mortician. Thats nuts.

The best thing told to me was "Play each gig like it is your last." And unfortunately, the guy who told me that took his own life a few months ago. Such a shock considering his passion for music. But, "cocaine is helluva drug". So sad.

Man, I honestly kind of feel burnt out playing lately. Maybe its this town, I dunno. But it is just not the same.

I've kind of gotten back on the trail of being excited about playing out, but lately I've been liking the idea of just staying in and writing my own music.

Does anyone go thru this? Im sure there are some that go through that.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I definitely went through that.

I was getting kind of bored of playing out.

Really wanted to just work on my guitar.

So, I joined a band, started that whole thing.

Been doing it about a half a year.

We're in the middle of home recording a demo.

Seriously probably one of the better Ideas I've had in life.

I'm learning alot. I'm on point with my guitar, producing, on point with the drums again.

Now, I can't wait to try the artist thing.

It's really getting big.

Do I miss djing? From time to time.

- spidey

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Man, I honestly kind of feel burnt out playing lately.

Does anyone go thru this? Im sure there are some that go through that.

There are certain nights that just conspire against you, and the combination of weird crowd with lack of sleep/energy/etc will just make it a tough go and it all seems pretty stale. Then you have a gig that is just eazy-as-pie, fun, great energy and great response and it seems like you are right back in the groove. They can't all be home runs, but as long as you can get yourself in a good frame of mind you can always do your best.

I remember watching a documentary about 70s films (it was either 'Easy Riders & Raging Bulls' or 'A Decade Under the Influence'), and Jon Voight was talking about making a film with legendary director Hal Ashby ('Being There', 'Harold and Maude'). They were having a hard time getting the scene, and Voight was getting really frustrated and agitated. So he takes Ashby aside and tells him 'y'know, what can I do differently, this is really aggravating', etc, how sorry he is, and so on. Hal Ashby says to him, "Hey, it's a beautiful day out here, we're making movies.....what is there to be sorry about? What could possibly be better than what we are doing right now?"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Not an actual conversation, but something I read somewhere: Never overdrink or underdrink the audience.
    That makes an awful lot of sense to me.

As for actual conversations, I once asked another guy I was alternating sets with "what do I have to do to get these friggin' people to dance?" He said "don't worry about the guys. Just play something the ladies want to dance to, and it will work itself out." Shortly after that I found myself picking up Madonna and Prince 12"s.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Not an actual conversation, but something I read somewhere: Never overdrink or underdrink the audience.
    That makes an awful lot of sense to me.

As for actual conversations, I once asked another guy I was alternating sets with "what do I have to do to get these friggin' people to dance?" He said "don't worry about the guys. Just play something the ladies want to dance to, and it will work itself out." Shortly after that I found myself picking up Madonna and Prince 12"s.

Exactly. My DJ partner back in the late 90's imparted that essential bit of wisdom that another DJ had passed on to him: Always play for the ladies.

It's not always a 100% truism, but it's a phrase that all young DJ's need to hear.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    The only thing I remember someone telling me is: "don't worry about messing up, it happens to all dj's, everyone had fucked up a mix/scratch at one point"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The only thing I remember someone telling me is: "don't worry about messing up, it happens to all dj's, everyone had fucked up a mix/scratch at one point, and will again[/b]"

• a friend in college made a good point when I had only been djing on my own equipment for about a year or so, and I was still heavy into letting songs play the whole way out and beatmatching only on intros/outros:

"you're in control of the record, so you can start it and stop it anywhere you want"

I had another friend make a similar comment about a year after that:

"you can play the instrumentals, you don't always have to play the vocal. Surprise your audience by giving them something familiar but tweaked a bit"