internet puppy scam

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
man...they will try anything. Saw this little scamp in my local paper "pets" classified(online)yesterdaythe ad said the dog was local, in Memphis...so I emailed about it(gmail address)...got an email back from the "owner" that said they were in africa with the dog working as missionaries, and would ship the dog to me for $400, payable only by Western Union. Scam. is this an old scam? anyone else heard of it?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Scam

I went puppy shopping last week....that photo appears to be an English Bulldog which is the breed my daughter was wanting......cheapest one we found was $1,500.
    And apparently they are the most popular dog of the year.

I wound up with not one, but two Standard Poodles.....

• Options
    Out by me the new thing is to advertise a car like a Porsche or some other luxury model for believably cheap and then rob the person when they show up to buy it.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Those puppies in those leaves is earth tone trippy they look like cute and awesome dogs, and I didn't think I liked poodles.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Never heard of the scam btw

but the only puppy to be included in mission help is Bolivar, but through a wintry passageway of course.

• Scam

I went puppy shopping last week....that photo appears to be an English Bulldog which is the breed my daughter was wanting......cheapest one we found was $1,500.

Not to sound like I work for PETA but if you arent adopting from a shelter ( i know its not for everyone) make sure you are buying from a breeder with a rep. Majority of pet shops buy from puppy mills and the conditions are horrendous. As well as its very common for pet shop dogs to have illness.
    Anyhow, beautiful pups and I hope your daughter loves them.

Scam

Not to sound like I work for PETA but if you arent adopting from a shelter ( i know its not for everyone) make sure you are buying from a breeder with a rep. Majority of pet shops buy from puppy mills and the conditions are horrendous. As well as its very common for pet shop dogs to have illness.
    Anyhow, beautiful pups and I hope your daughter loves them.

I have a 140 lb. Lab that I adopted from the local shelter....we bought these pups from a breeder that has been at it for 18 years.....I assume they are reputable but you never know.

Those puppies in those leaves is earth tone trippy they look like cute and awesome dogs, and I didn't think I liked poodles.

A lot of people, like myself, think of those little foo-foo dogs when they think Poodle.....

These guys will grow up to look like this....

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

With all due respect, Rock, but I can only think about a terd with legs when I see this dog around.

With all due respect, Rock, but I can only think about a terd with legs when I see this dog around.

Dude....I paid $0.25 a piece for them......jeez.

• im went home this weekend to take my folks to the pound. they decided they dont want a dog. said theyre done with responsibility. oh well, i managed to get a shitload of boogie/modern crap and this awesome rockwellian chinese school book.

• Im gonna see how long I can drag this scammer along. I just sent them a message that I am going to be in Lagos next week, so we should arrange to have the puppy shipped there, since it wont cost as much to ship it there...we'll see if I ever hear back from them.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Seriously dudes! Don't buy a puppy at a store or from a classified! If you want a specific breed look at rescues or reputable breeders. Bulldogs are supercute but they have MANY health problems, even registered ones, so I would be very cautious with that breed. They are so expensive because most have to be born by Cesarean because they aren't capable of natural birth.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    Here's my killer I bought for my girl right here.........................

a shi-tzu/poodle mix.