Pro Tools Help (File Saving)

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
is it possible for a LE 7.0 user to save a .PTF under an earlier Pro Tools version file extension so that someone who uses lets say 6.0 can open it on their system to mix it??

Comments

• I am way back in pro tools (I think 4), but there should be a generic pro tools option. Kind of like saving a file. It should open no matter what version you have.

If that doesn't work you can always just bounce each individual track at the same length )meaning all files are the same length, even if that includes 2 minutes of silence at the beginning) and just give them all of the audio files. When they import all of them they lock up and be in sync.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I am way back in pro tools (I think 4), but there should be a generic pro tools option. Kind of like saving a file. It should open no matter what version you have.

If that doesn't work you can always just bounce each individual track at the same length )meaning all files are the same length, even if that includes 2 minutes of silence at the beginning) and just give them all of the audio files. When they import all of them they lock up and be in sync.

so when i go to Save As there should be a generic file type is what yer saying?

• I am assuming there is. I don't have that computer on right now, but you should just be able to save a pro tools session file that can be read by any version. I've never tried to save a session in any particular way. i guess it just only has one option, but I am assuming it's a standard file that can be ready on various versions of the software. It's pretty standard for people to use pro tools, but not everyone will have the same version, so i am assuming session files work (for the most part) no matter what version you have.

you may have a problem since you are going backwards in versions (from 7 to 6), but I think you should at least be able to load the audio. Worst case just send them all of the individual tracks. If they are going to mix it it should be fine. They'll just load the audio up on each track. If you have some effects or plug ins going that you need to be on there you'll just need to bounce the tracks with those plug ins running.

• its under: 'save copy in'

• then 'session format' (choose from latest, 6, 5, so on)