Anyone use a Machinedrum or Monomachine?

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
I've been fiending to get a new toy that I'll use for a week and then never touch again. I kinda want to get a new synth but then I've been checking out the Machinedrum for a while so I'm not sure. Anyone use either? If so, what are your experiences with it and what do you use it with? Thanks!

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i really want to get one of those. one of my projects is about deephouse and detroity stuff, and the machinedrum seems like the perfect toy for drums and weired fx`s..
    did you check the vids on youtube? some cool stuff..
    my only problem is that i dont want to sound too "minimal", know what i mean?
    all the minimal stuff sounds like it came straight out of the machindrum..
    and its quite pricey.
    i could get a 808/909 for the same cash.. hard decision.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah i think its overpriced

invest yer ca$h in quality outboard gear (comps / tube pres / eq) and route your audio out thru those

i was messing around with my old casio RZ1 the other day (individual outs / sampling) and i was amazed at how much i could change the sounds by runnin it through some nice outboard gear.. toob compression and eq = totally new sounds out of a VERY limited machine

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Shit definitely is overpriced and it doesn't help that their distribution sucks so I can't snag a good deal. I'm not really at the point where quality outboard gear would make a difference for me so I'm kinda just looking into getting a synth for now. This is actually an off-shoot of a thread I started on Gear Slutz asking for a good "starter" synth. I'm still young in the synth game and was just looking for something that I could learn on but then I got distracted by all the Elektron gear hype.

• Last week I just saw a Japanese producer rocking a machinedrum live.

Actually, he had 2 MPC 1000s, a Machindrum, 2 kaos pads, and a mixing board

Might be overpriced but it does look like a dope machine

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i could get a 808/909 for the same cash.. hard decision.
    i was thinking the same too but if that shit breaks there's no way in hell i can get that serviced here (hawaii.)

anyone use any waldorf synths? i'm looking at the blofeld that's about to come out and it seems pretty good for its price. i'm considering buying that when it comes out and then saving for most likely the machinedrum

this is also a bump i guess

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i've just said fuck it and am about to put down some money on a preorder. i haven't bought myself anything in a while so i convinced myself i deserve it. i'm considering ordering a mono desktop evolver along with it. anyone use one or any dave smith synths in general?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    i've just said fuck it and am about to put down some money on a preorder. i haven't bought myself anything in a while so i convinced myself i deserve it. i'm considering ordering a mono desktop evolver along with it. anyone use one or any dave smith synths in general?

One of these? I got one. It's a quality piece of gear that's built like a tank, and the sounds are unique in an analog with an cutting digital edge kind of way. However, it's not the most intuitive synth to use. The lack of easily-accessible controls can get on one's nerves after a while. I don't really use it too often because of this.

The keyboard version looks much easier/more fun to use (more controls!), but it's also a lot more expensive.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That's what I was looking at but I was definitely concerned about programming difficulties due to basically the same shit you said. I think I'll end up picking it up later next year but instead pick up an easier to program synth. I heard the filters on it are cool to run shit through but maybe I should just shell out for a dedicated unit.