Today was a great day in American history.

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
But I'm not going to tell you why...We'll play a little game...Do a search on what happened today and get back at this thread.And then say how you will celebrate.

Comments

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    On Dec. 5, 1933, national Prohibition came to an end as Utah became the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment to the Constitution, repealing the 18th Amendment.

i am going to celebrate with a bottle of bourbon (after i'm done studying after i am done working)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    On Dec. 5, 1933, national Prohibition came to an end as Utah became the 36th state to ratify the 21st Amendment to the Constitution, repealing the 18th Amendment.

i am going to celebrate with a bottle of bourbon (after i'm done studying after i am done working)

That was quick! Appropriate that you would have the answer.... Jim Beam....

I won't be celebrating until Saturday. It will be a dual celebration - the end of Prohibition and Anna's coming out of retirement!

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    It will be a dual celebration - the end of Prohibition and Anna's coming out of retirement!

[blatant plug]OH, INDEED. [/blatant plug]

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Damn, I thought because it was my birthday. I should celebrate with Jim Beam as well!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Hmmm.. In Canadian History on this great day William Lyon Mackenzie leads 800 rebels 8 km down Yonge Street from Montgomery's Tavern to Toronto, where they are met by Dr. John Rolph and Robert Baldwin; a group led by Samuel Lount is dispersed by a picket at Gallow's Hill below St. Clair, and the rebels flee in disorder; two days later they are routed by the militia.

and also

In 1946 Andy Kim was born. He wrote songs like Neil Diamond's Rock Me Gently and co-wrote Sugar Sugar!

Either way. Seems like a great reason to celebrate and have a few drinks after work!!!

Oh and Italian engineer Guglielmo Marconi transmits the first readable wireless radio signals 3,200 km across the Atlantic from his station at Glace Bay, Cape Breton to Poldhu in Cornwall, England.

But pfffttt whatever...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Hmmm.. In Canadian History on this great day William Lyon Mackenzie leads 800 rebels 8 km down Yonge Street from Montgomery's Tavern to Toronto, where they are met by Dr. John Rolph and Robert Baldwin; a group led by Samuel Lount is dispersed by a picket at Gallow's Hill below St. Clair, and the rebels flee in disorder; two days later they are routed by the militia.

and also

In 1946 Andy Kim was born. He wrote songs like Neil Diamond's Rock Me Gently and co-wrote Sugar Sugar!

Either way. Seems like a great reason to celebrate and have a few drinks after work!!!

Oh and Italian engineer Guglielmo Marconi transmits the first readable wireless radio signals 3,200 km across the Atlantic from his station at Glace Bay, Cape Breton to Poldhu in Cornwall, England.

But pfffttt whatever...

All that crap sounds boring compared to the party that was going on today in '33!

ps- happy b-day pacman!

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Word up Diz! Thanks sir!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

and also

But pfffttt whatever...

All that crap sounds boring compared to the party that was going on today in '33!

I'll drink to that...

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Dec 5, 2007 - Godzilla Unleashed comes out for the WII nintendo entertainment system

That is what wikipedia says anyway:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_5

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    when i drink, my godzilla like weewee comes out.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    when i drink, my godzilla like weewee comes out.

oh my!!

• I had a feeling Bacchus was speaking to me when I bought all that Guinness and Pabst today...

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I was watching a history channel show that I had DVR'd last night... "Hillbilly: The Real Story", narrated by billy ray cyrus, and it discussed the effect that prohibition and the end of prohibition had on hillbilly culture. When they mentioned the end of prohibition I was like "YES! THATS TODAY!"

Anyways, I guess these days, instead of 'shine, appalachian hillbillies grow weed, and its like 10 times more potent than mexican weed. There was this DEA type dude standing next to a helicopter and he says "They might be hillbillies, but they sure know how to grow good weed..." hahahahaha. It was awesome.

And here's something odd.... as me and my wife are discussing what they so with all that weed she says "Do you think they burn it?" and I was like "Thats ridiculous, they would all get high!" and the next shot they show is all these officers stacking the weed into a fire. HELLO! smoke everywhere! Now I know why the guy by the helicopter was so impressed.

Also, I am distantly related to the McCoys, of the Hatfield and McCoy fame. I have a little hillbilly in my blood.

I didn't get to finish the whole thing last night. Instead I retired to my chambers and read about the revolutionary war, where I learned that even back in the 1760s people said "shithouse" and "Son of a bitch". Pretty cool.