Best Novelty Rap?

PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
edited December 2007 in Strut Central
Deadstock find! A longtime Pro Squad in-office fave and easily one of the best novelty raps of all time, it goes without saying we were pretty stoked to stumble upon some original, still sealed copies of Rappin' Duke from 1984. The Duke, aka some guy doing an amazing John Wayne impression, is best known for his "DA-HAH, DA-HAH" as immortalized by B.I.G. on "Juicy," but over the course of these 6+ minutes, you'll also hear him touch upon such subjects as: russlin' cattle, doin' 'The Duke,' how he's better than Run DMC, "Swanee" and Aretha Franklin. Flipside includes the instrumental, which was also the beat for "Blow Job Betty" by Too $hort. Limited stock. Recommended.Recommended = ??

Comments

• What about MC Miker G & DJ Sven - Holiday Rap? Hot or not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LtYaCm5njY

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    My friend once wrote a scathing letter to the Boston Globe,
    because in their review of the 2000 Spit Kickers
    tour, the writer refered to Biz Markie as a "novelty rapper."

To this day he gets all worked up if I mention it.

• What about MC Miker G & DJ Sven - Holiday Rap? Hot or not?

Ring-a-ranga-dong for the holi-day!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    What about MC Miker G & DJ Sven - Holiday Rap? Hot or not?

b/w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx-NLPH8JeM

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

• Yes, this one is great.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    "Totally Awesome" by 2Much (ill valley girl raps)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Ramones rap:

• Oh, o.k.

Brian Wilson's attempt at rapping

Dust Brothers, Weird Al, and Bob Dylan...

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

• http://mysticalbeast.blogspot.com/2005/10/liz-phair-week-continues_20.html

"When Liz Phair decided to record her breakthrough album Liz Phair, she knew she was taking a big risk. From Fleetwood Mac to Pink Floyd to Genesis, the history of Rock and Roll is littered with bands who lost everything after trying out a more accessible sound.

The only other artist I can think of who really succeeded in a similar way is Brian Wilson, the lead singer of an old band from the 1960's called The Beach Boys. When Brian Wilson first decided to record a rap song, his overly conservative fanbase was horrified. But Brian, a musical genius with a vision (much like Liz Phair), ignored the naysayers and the result was one of his best songs ever: Smart Girls."[/b]

• I was just thinking about this as i was going through some old records, two that popped out were

geezinslaw's "help, Im white and I cant get down" (unbelievably crappy banjo hip hop breakdown)
    video kids-"woodpeckers from space" (unexplainable electro vocoder wierdness)
    Half the stuff on the first newcleus lp.

i know theres more but im at work and cant think of shit right now, but I was thinking about making a "bad music mix" and these are some top rated strangely listenable crap as far as that goes.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

"When Liz Phair decided to record her breakthrough album Liz Phair, she knew she was taking a big risk. From Fleetwood Mac to Pink Floyd to Genesis, the history of Rock and Roll is littered with bands who lost everything after trying out a more accessible sound.

The only other artist I can think of who really succeeded in a similar way is Brian Wilson, the lead singer of an old band from the 1960's called The Beach Boys. When Brian Wilson first decided to record a rap song, his overly conservative fanbase was horrified. But Brian, a musical genius with a vision (much like Liz Phair), ignored the naysayers and the result was one of his best songs ever: Smart Girls."[/b]

Experienced readers of D.C. comics will recognize this
    article as originating from "Earth 2" - which is why it
    reads like something originally from Canada, only even
    more confusing.

• also

"reggae christmas boogie in transylvania" on an sctv record. We played it to no applause on my friends xmas edition radio show.

• holy crap theres a "help im white and i cant get down" video:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Chow Down.

• That floral sweatshirt holmes is wearing sells for 100 bucks on the lab.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    it
    reads like something originally from Canada, only even
    more confusing.

More confusing than this?

Hmmm.. In Canadian History on this great day William Lyon Mackenzie leads 800 rebels 8 km down Yonge Street from Montgomery's Tavern to Toronto, where they are met by Dr. John Rolph and Robert Baldwin; a group led by Samuel Lount is dispersed by a picket at Gallow's Hill below St. Clair, and the rebels flee in disorder; two days later they are routed by the militia.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    My friend once wrote a scathing letter to the Boston Globe,
    because in their review of the 2000 Spit Kickers
    tour, the writer refered to Biz Markie as a "novelty rapper."

To this day he gets all worked up if I mention it.

Yes, Comedy Rap is a legitimate part of the canon. So: Pickin Boogers, You Be Illin, Slick Rick, and even Fresh Prince. But Novelty Rap is definitely part of the great other.

Some great contributions so far... from a town in the great UK

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Where does Pitman figure in this?

• Rappin Duke

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

http://mysticalbeast.blogspot.com/2005/10/liz-phair-week-continues_20.html

Wouldn't it be great to hear Jon Brion rap over a Kanye beat?

- spidey

• http://mysticalbeast.blogspot.com/2005/10/liz-phair-week-continues_20.html

Wouldn't it be great to hear Jon Brion rap over a Kanye beat?

- spidey

Where are my cords?

• HAMBO!!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Having found enough novelty rap the last few years I was going to make a novelty rap section in my store. But, then I considered the miserable failure of the 'Corny But Lovable' section I had made last year and decided against it. But fuck it, I'll probably do it anyways.

I'm really partial to that Miker G and DJ Sven Holiday joint.
    Rappin Duke def top 5.
    Bobby Jimmy is probably the king of Novelty rap and the most prolific in the game. I remember him getting airplay back in the day... Roaches and New York Rappers were his best.
    Wikka rap by the Evasions is another top 5 - it's almost so good as to rise above novelty rap status.
    I found one called Prep Rap by Rus Mason but it was kinda luke warm.
    Hurt 'Em Bad - Monday Night Football - terrible
    Super Bowl Shuffle - terrible but classic
    Rappin Rodney - Rappin' Sinbad - Rappin Andrew Dice Clay - Rappin Eddie Murphy -
    The Afros

Another def top 5 for me is Rappin Ron and the D.C. Crew which was way better than the other lame ronnie reagan raps
    Somebody threw together a clip show for a video but at least it has the track:

Rappin' Ron and the D.C. Crew

I'm both embarrassed and proud to be this in to novelty rap.

• HAMBO!!

Hip Hop was really hard to get hold of where I live and when my friend saw the ???Hambo??? joint in Virgin records he just had to snap it up as it was on Tommy Boy.
    I can not express to you how gutted my mate was when he got home and played the track, it probably cost him two weeks pocket, what were Tommy Boy thinking?

Somebody already mention ???Wood Peckers from space??? which is actually a record I???ve always liked and dug it out earlier in the week to start dropping in my DJ sets (I play a at a trendy bar not a club). I know its not a serious record but there are some touches I really like the vocal cutting.