The life and music of Pimp C appreciation thread.

2»

Comments

• dap1dap1 17 Posts
    J Prince needs to get a double video up asap of these songs off of UGKs last album

Heaven
    Trill Niggas Don't Die ft. Z-Ro

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Last night Noz posted the unedited transcript (in two parts) of an interview he did with Pimp C for Scratch last year.

If UGK's music ever meant anything to you, you need to take time out of your morning to read this.

Noz, gets at this, and I agree with him--it's sad the way that a lot of interviewers during the final year of his life tried to provoke the man. The trash-talk could be entertaining, but he had a lot more to say.

That's a tremendous interview. Props to noz.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    That's a good friggin interview. Hats off to Noz.

RIP

To say Pimp C had an immense impact on my life would be an understatement.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    ^^^^

i love that song.

• New Lil Flip tribute to Pimp C

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    the interview is so necessary...just to make people realize the difference between those current stoopid azzes and what a well-rounded dude is. Which makes me wonder WHY a magazine like Scratch didn't broadcast the whole it for God's sake. hy do e have to wait until somebody dies??? Damn...

• The interview link was dead when I tried clicking on it..does anyone have another link?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

And for any former-hateurs out there who are now trying to jump on the bandwagon, courtesy of my dude Will Hustle...

• Y'all be sure to head over to www.panews.com and check out the stories on him there.

BTW, that paper is reporting that it appears he passed due to natural causes--and not even 34.

Also, Matt Sonzala of HoustonSoReal and Damage Control came out of retirement to do a tribute show last night:
    http://www.damagecontrolradio.org/mp3/071206_000001damage.MP3

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    http://www.vibe.com/news/online_exclusives/2007/12/bunb_pimpcdemise/

UGK's remaining member speaks, for the first time, on his fallen friend.
    Early in the afternoon on Thursday, December 6, Bun B called VIBE from his home and gave his first interview since his dear friend and UGK cohort, Pimp C, passed away in a Los Angeles hotel room.

VIBE: What memory of Pimp C stands out the most to you?
    BUN B: So many changes and phases of life. I think on a good day, on a great day, I couldn't point my finger at one thing. So many different memories: The day we signed, our first video, the first time we heard ourselves on the radio. So many different things. Most of my greatest moments in life, my greatest achievements, came standing right next to him, you know? So it's hard to pinpoint any one thing. So many different moments.

How did it feel seeing him for the first time after he was released from prison in 2005?
    Man. UGK was at a place where everything he wanted it to be was finally getting there. Everything he wanted to get from it, he was about to receive. The love, the admiration and respect - not just from fans but also from peers and even journalists. And people understanding what he was trying to impress upon people, what he represented and where he represented it from and just how we lived and who we are as people. And I was just so happy that he was able to come back home and experience different things. I didn't want all the fun to be gone before he had a chance to have them.

* I know we're in the era of 'pause' a*nd 'no homo' and all that. But if you really love your homie, don't feel like you can't tell him you love him. Because when things happen, you're going to wish you had said it.

When Pimp was alive, he was outspoken, hilarious, and didn't seem to care what other people thought about him. Do you feel like he was misunderstood or underappreciated during the time he was here?
    He was not one to really be concerned, to a certain extent, about if people liked him. He wanted the people he cared about and he loved to love him. But for a lot of people, I think maybe he just was too honest. He was ready to tell how he felt about himself. He was ready to tell you how he felt about you. And I'm sure people would try to equate it with a lot of recent events, but anybody who knows Pimp C for any extended period of time knows that when you asked Pimp for his opinion, that's what you got. You didn't get the little "Oh, yeah, sure! No problem!" pat on the back type of answer that mutha****as give you. Usually when you ask a person something??? some people tend to ask things in a way to get a certain type of response from certain people, but you don't ask those questions to Pimp C. You don't ask Pimp C, "Do you like this?" if you really really don't want to know if he likes it or not, you know? [laughs]. And if anyone had a problem with him, that might've been it. Like, "God, what is he gonna say about me that I probably don't want to hear?" And even the people that he loved, he was gonna tell them how he felt about something, even if they weren't ready to hear it. But it was never from ill will. It was always out of love and respect and him wanting you to be the best you could be.

Thinking back on his music, what do you think gave Pimp C his edge as a producer? He literally shaped a sound, and created a musical portrait for people who weren't from the South.
    I think he tried to put a lot of the music that he listened to growing up into [his music], and also he was a great student of music. He had a lot of respect for the musicians before him. And his father, of course, was a musician, so you definitely had to be old guard to respect what we were doing. We were trying to make good music and real music. He had a real ear for music. He knew what people liked and wanted, sometimes before they did. And he was the type of person who'd come into your studio session and tell you what was wrong with your record because it all boils down to his level of attention. He'd be like, "Man, your drums ain't right." And he's not just telling you that because he felt like his drums were better than yours, but he'd just be like, "You're drums ain't right. It's not jamming like you think it is."

Pimp was in Los Angeles when he was found dead. Were you with him?
    No. He was [there] doing some recording with Three 6 Mafia and performing with Too $hort. He had a lot of friends in L.A., he had an apartment in L.A. He was working on his solo album, and I was working on mine at home. And he was back and forth. He wasn't out there that long. He had just been out there since earlier that week.

When was the last time you saw him?
    We performed together in Dallas the day after Thanksgiving. And we attended the Young Jeezy concert together Thanksgiving. And that was the last time I physically saw him. We met, we hugged, said we loved each other. When we separate we always make sure we hug and say we love each other. And keep in mind, Pimp C and I, we didn't agree on everything. We had our differences about different things. And I know people are going to draw conclusions, but it's not like that. I've been knowing Pimp C since he was 16 years old. By nature, our personalities and our character tended to be at odds, but because of who we were and where we were from, and where we were trying to go and what we were trying to prove, we were always together in that respect. And I loved him, and he loved me, and we're never ashamed to say it. And I know we're in the era of "pause" and "no homo" and all that, and that's all fine and dandy, but if you really love your homie, don't feel like you can't tell him you love him. Who gives a **** how somebody take it. Because when things happen, you're going to wish you had said it. You're going to wish you said it louder.

Where were you when you found out he died? Who told you?
    I don't want to get into all that because I don't want to put other people's grief out there. It was a very close person to myself and him. Because no one was there [when he died], we have to wait to receive information, receive the right information. But we got a call, and when they called, they were crying, and we knew what it was. It was my wife and I together. I was home with my wife. And we're moving this week, so we were packing up a lot of different boxes. And it kind of helped me, because it helped me occupy my mind, but then I'd get a phone call from somebody, and different people wanting to make sure I was okay. It was and it is rough. It's still very, very new. And for a lot of people, it's still very surreal.

Have any funeral arrangements been made?
    Yeah, we're still in the process of making it. It's all depending on exactly when we get the body and preparation times, so we're trying to be premeditative about as many things as we can. So, more than likely it'll be this weekend, so people can be afforded the opportunity to come and mourn him properly.

UGK has been together for 20 years. What do you do now?
    Personally, I couldn't even tell you. I can't even see that far for myself. All I know is, right now, I can't really see for myself like that. Just making sure people remember him the right way and are saying the right things about him and no one's taking this time to judge him. And just make sure he's honored and celebrated the right way. And of course, we pray for the wife, and the mother and the children, and when the fans and different people make their peace with this situation, that they still have to live with it.
    But I just want to thank everybody for being so gracious and so unselfish in their compassion. And just the fact that everyone has made such an effort to let the world know that they loved him and cared for him. And I mean, across the board in every walk of life you can think of, just the man on the street, working class people, blue collar people, entertainers, everybody everywhere. My record label has definitely been supportive. Other record labels, everyone has gone out of their way and gone further than anyone has asked them to go to make sure we're okay. And hundreds of phone calls, text messages - from Talib Kweli who's in Nigeria and he heard it and wanted to make sure people are okay, and Paul Wall, who's touring eastern Europe and called me, and Dizzee Rascal, I had to just tell him he didn't have to get on a plane because he was just so concerned that he was about to come down here. And so many people were trying to jump on planes and make sure we were okay. And I appreciate the concern. But I wouldn't ask anyone to stop their life, because Pimp would've wanted us all to keep grinding. And I don't know if I can make it through without that. It's been hard. But a lot of people have been supportive. I just went to my local restaurant and they were like, "Dude, we will bring your food to you." And they don't offer delivery services. But they were just like, "Yo, we'll bring it to you."

The first two days I wasn't really ready to be around people. But I can't deny them the opportunity to get their closure. I really can't.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    For those who lives in Houston...